Not many post here

Ok so how many here are either open tracking their lightnings or racing them on road coarses I have been road racing for years and just bought my first gen 1
I might take it to summit point for a track day
Later
MarkD

we are far and few between but are very dedicated towards the sport.But is does stay more on the tech side of it than 'how does my new racing seat look?'And by the way I race mine too.STan

Yep, Stan has a pretty good entry level truck. :whistle:

I wouldn't put a stock L1 on the track without giving the brakes a little attention first. People have done it, but they don't seem to get much enjoyment out of it.

I autocross mine and occasionally track it (due to cost and distance, mostly). Unfortunate fact of life around here is most mebers are only interested in going in a straight line for a few seconds. :d

i would kinda like to get into road corse driving/racing, is there any way a young man of slightly limited means, with his mostly stock Gen1, could get into this sport?
road course driving has always appealed to me, but the closest thing ive got to it is driving on back roads, hopin a cop dosnt see me.....:whistle: :wasnt-me:

jetblackbronco said:
i would kinda like to get into road corse driving/racing, is there any way a young man of slightly limited means, with his mostly stock Gen1, could get into this sport?
road course driving has always appealed to me, but the closest thing ive got to it is driving on back roads, hopin a cop dosnt see me.....:whistle: :wasnt-me:
It depends on where you are, really. Are there any road courses in your area? And what about the local SCCA/autocross clubs? Alot of autocrossers also do open tracking, so they would know where to go for that.

there are some local autocrosses that i hear about, and im an hour from Lime Rock, and like 3 hours from watkins glen, but most of the stuff i hear about is just word of mouth, i was just wondering if anyone knew about what clubs might do this kind of stuff.

jetblackbronco said:
there are some local autocrosses that i hear about, and im an hour from Lime Rock, and like 3 hours from watkins glen, but most of the stuff i hear about is just word of mouth, i was just wondering if anyone knew about what clubs might do this kind of stuff.
damn, son: if I lived in your neck of the woods, they'd play HELL getting me off those tracks!! :lol:

Like I said: hit up your local autocross/SCCA clubs (www.scca.org is a good place to start, thanks to Google :tongue:), and ask them, every one of them will have done open tracking as well (if they don't also do both). They will point you in the right direction.

Also, starting off in autocross is a good idea, because it doesn't stress the truck as much (espeically brakes), and it gives you an inexpensive way to learn the basics and how your truck reacts, before hitting the open track. :tu:

Hey DD
Save your money because SVTOA is coming to Summit Point next May!
I have been down there once and am going back this coming year. They have a very good turn out. Normally sold out in the first couple weeks. This year I couldn't go due to work but I'm setting time aside for next year. Last year the New England group had 26 guys go down there. Not all Lightnings though. I think there were only 4 Lightnings and the rest Mustangs. But a really good time. They have great instructors for the Novice drivers and they have to sign you off to move up a group. They have run the Shenandoah circuit the last couple years. Its about 1.8 miles long and technical and lots of fun.. So if you a member of the SVTOA then you can run with them on there on track days. Like I said they sell out fast down at Summit Point (only 100 entries) so if you see it come out don't delay. Sign up and well see you down there.

Chuck

I would say that 1st or 2nd Gen Lightning is good for about 1/2 day to 3/4 day of any well run track day event.

Unless you are taking "fast parade laps", the brakes will eventually wear out.

RUSLOW's "slower traffic move right" L and Cliff C's "farm truck" are good examples of upgraded brakes and suspensions.

You might also try an Open Road event, which hardly requires any brake changes. I have been to two ORR events in my L and had a great time.

NeilBerry said:
I would say that 1st or 2nd Gen Lightning is good for about 1/2 day to 3/4 day of any well run track day event.

Unless you are taking "fast parade laps", the brakes will eventually wear out.

RUSLOW's "slower traffic move right" L and Cliff C's "farm truck" are good examples of upgraded brakes and suspensions.

You might also try an Open Road event, which hardly requires any brake changes. I have been to two ORR events in my L and had a great time.
Mine did really well at Motorsport Ranch a week ago, with TCE's brake kit, an FRPP lowering kit, QA-1s, and a Helwig front sway. Oh, and Goodyear race slicks. :tu: If it weren't for the blistered tires and the leaking grease caps, I'd've gotten my second run. :(

Back