Newb. Broken elbow (coolant crossover?) on pass side rear of lower intake.

cgt4570

Newb. Broken elbow (coolant crossover?) on pass side rear on lower intake.

I borrowed the attached pic from somewhere here. I have a complete takeout '01 engine that's destined for my very underpowered first month 5-speed Super Duty I ordered in August of 1998!.
It will need a lot of cleanup and I plan on replacing all accessories and questionable hoses, etc. while it's on the stand.
The 'New' (that's a stretch!) engine is low miles but from the rust belt. :cr:

Anyway, the elbow tube in the upper right of the attached pic is broken at the manifold. I'm sure it happened in shipping but I just found it.
Is this a press fit?
Is it available?
If so, I couldn't find a reference or part number in multiple searches here and on the interwebs.
Do I just need to drill and tap and install a NPT-to-tubing fitting? I know I'd have to be careful to keep shavings out, etc.
(I have a very experienced local team of installers and programmers or I wouldn't even dream of attempting this install!).
elbow.jpg

Last edited:
That crossover is a modification in any event. Lightning motors did not come with that stock.

That one on the upper right is a heater hose fitting. Sorry, can't help you if it's easy to replace or available. You would think you might be able to get it at a Ford dealer.

The one arrow pointing at the bottom of the Turkey Pan, that is a fitting that we all plug, just like that one is. It's not necessary.

I was able to get the broken stub out of the hole. Turned out that the hole in the lower was the exact sized needed for a 3/8" NPT tap. I'll be putting in a NPT to tubing adaptor and a piece of bent stainless tubing.

Back