New NOS setup plan ??????

• Thread starter DAVE94LIGHTNING
  • Start date
D

DAVE94LIGHTNING

Guys:
As per the NOS techs i have decided to change from a dry setup to a safer(?) BIG SHOT wet(fuel + N20) system for the GT-40 manifold. Lowest Hp level is 150hp which they swear the stock bottom end can handle. I'm going to stick with the purge system and safety fuel cutoff switch and of course the fuel and NOS pressure gauges.I am still undecided on a fuel system, but i'm not into running both pumps at once..i don't see the advantage over an in tank/in line pump. Finally, i'm going to have Danny Swanson burn a dual program chip with one program for the nitrous which should include the retarded timing etc.. and the second program for max street performance.

Also, for the sleeper look, i'm witing the activation switch into my fog light switch so the green light goes on when i'm ready. The trigger switch will be wired into the "right" horn button
wink.gif

I'm open to any opinions etc....thanks
smile.gif

...that Big Shot should be pretty sweeeeeet. I'm running the dry setup now, but someday when my shortblock gets tired and I get some good pistons in there, the Big Shot will be the setup going on mine. And none of this little 150 shot stuff.
wink.gif

Actually, if I wouldn't have gotten my dry setup so cheap, I would have done exactly as you are saying. You're gonna have a lot of fun with that!

One other option for switches. I have a "Big red button" that is exactly the diameter of a cigarette lighter and is a "push on, push off" type. It takes the place of the cig lighter in the ashtray and I wired a little light to tell when it's on. I think a better place for it would be the "Power Point" on the dash - it could fit under the little flip-up cover, and you'd just push the cover to turn it on. Also, you could mount a light anywhere for that. It'd be kind of an ironic "Power point" if you know what I mean. But your fog light switch and horn sound VERY cool, too...

Have fun!

- Kevin

You will like it on the horn (especially with street tires)Mine is wired up into the horn relay (I do have a switch shutting off the noise) It still does have button on the throttle body but it will not engage until the horn button is pushed. The nice part about this is that you don't have to hold the button just beep it 1 time and as soon as you lift the throttle off the button you can floor it again and it will not re-engage until the button is pushed again. What I did for the stealthy approach was I bought the super chip with the switch for the other program with the n20. I bought the 4x4 switches from ford. Wiring those in was HELL it was wired so that the n20 would engage only when the "low range" light is on. Also as a fail safe the 4x4 light had to be on before the low range light would come on. So what I do before I spray is press the 4x4 button which would engage the chip changing it into n20 mode, then I press low range to put power to the throttle body switch, wide open to arm the system and beep the horn button to activate. To do this setup it took 18 relays lots-o-wire and lots of patience but we finally got it and it works awesome. There is only a minimal amount of people that have noticed the 4x4 switch 2 out of about 50. If they question it I simply say that I got the bezel from the junk yard because the other one was broken and this was all that they had. Just fyi on the strength of these engines on the street I use 150 shot and at the track I use a 3 stage 300 shot. The heads have not been off of the truck. It has been down the track approx. 30 times with out a problem and every cylinder still leaks down at less than 5%.

Be aware that because the fuel rails on the Lightning are different from those on a Mustang with a GT40/Cobra lower, you'll have to do some pretty significant revamping of the Big Shot plate in order to get everything to fit correctly. Several people have been through that already. It's not a simple bolt-on proposition on the Lightning because of the differences.

I'm a big fan of the plates. Run healthy wet shots without spraying the plenum, which I regard as a bomb waiting to go off. Trace is going to be running a Big Shot for the Edelbrock on her car.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

As Jeff stated the Big shot kit is NOT a"true" bolt on in this application
frown.gif
I have completed the install of this kit on list members "Struck BY" 95L. There were several things to be modified to include:

1.Re shaping of the fuel solenoid brackets
2.Remote mounting of the NOS solenoid

I will have Struck BY pipe up and fill you in. He was the one that actually researched and obtained the hardware to make it possible.

When its all said and done, the 5115 kit is hard to beat. If you wanna push the solenoids but still be safe,you can Jet it up to 175 HP.Been there done that with no problems.
smile.gif

------------------
95 Red Lightning
87 Buick Grand National
11.60/114 1.62 60ft.

speedy: If you, or "struk By" could e mail me with the information it would be great as i am ordering the parts through NOS in the next few days. All of your info is much appreceiated as i need all the help i can on this install
smile.gif

E-MAIL= DavepetEMT@aol.com

Please post it here too for everyone's edification.

Thanks!

Guys,
I just called him and he shall be posting his mods to the kit.

------------------
95 Red Lightning
87 Buick Grand National
11.60/114 1.62 60ft.

Dave,
just wondering if you got my two e-mails
on the NOS GT-40 Big Shot kit and fuel pump.
I just recently fixed my log on problem on the web page so now I'm all set up. Let me know. Thanks Struckby

struk: Sorry but i haven't recieved them yet.
send them to DavepetEMT@aol.com
if that wont work send them to A21039@aol.com

Also if you could post the info here for all the rest of the members it would be apprecieated.

Hey, also let me know exactly what you did to the fuel system to handle the NOS. thanks
smile.gif
Dave.

Back