New member to the stable! its offical

Broke a piston skirt and blew out the rings on #4 cyl it appears to be salvagable the block that is so .020 over and we will be good! I am keeping this under my hat! Alittle bit until it is done and I can afford a cage we will be going for the mid to lower 10's! If the tranny holds up which he is rebuilding as well!

You would hate a manual in that thing. No reason the auto can't be built to handle the H/P. Make sure the stall speed and turbo spool up are compatible.

I talked to paul about that he wants to put in a 4000 stall I dont know about that! I do have to drive it on the street!

4000 stall sounds crazy. The converter won't last long on the street. What rpm does he estimate this setup to spool at? 4000 seems very high for a V-8. My 4 banger is spooling at about 2600 and full boost by 3800. A 76mm turbo is not that big considering your 5.4L displacement. That thing should be spooling around 2500 possibly less.

76 mm will spool at 3400 rpm but a 76 mm wont produce 800 hp at the rear wheel without running high boost levels which I dont want nor does he recommend so we are looking at the 88mm which takes a lot longer to spool up but will produce the 800 hp number with much less boost levels thus the high stall speed so I am pondering over the hp numbers and the boost levels which it will need to obtain the hp and then figure it aout I am looking for a good balance of street and strip i dont think the marshmallow will see much street travels anymore but when she does I dont want to hate it!

One thing I have learned about turbos. It's much better to fully use the capabilities of a turbo boost wise that to go bigger and under utilize it. Example if 25 psi on the 76mm produces 800hp that is better than 15 psi on the 88mm. Your engine internals should have no problem handling the big boost. Remeber it doen't hit hard like the S/C does. Plus the only time you will see that much boost is either on the track or dyno. No way the tires will handle that kind of h/p on the street. My guess is that you would dial the boost back to 16-18psi on the street. It should be able to run that 24/7. A good front mount I/C will be the key to making the big power. 4000 rpm stall on the street will suck bad. Not to mention the unwanted attention it would draw. That would be a tiny powerband. 4000-6000 rpm.

Thats what i am learning I told him that I want a 3200 stall max! I think paul has all the knowledge in the worl but forgets that it is a 4500 lb truck! which I need to figure out how reduce the weight!

4500lbs is pretty optomistic. I corner weighted mine on electronic scales. With a 1/2 tank of fuel and me in the seat I weighed 4910lbs. There is quite a bit of weight that can be removed. How about a narrowed 9", 4-link, and tubbed for the back? That 9.75" if huge. Leaf springs way to heavy. Wheels and tires are huge for weight savings. Cage will add some weight but the offset of firming up the chassis is well worth it.

I weighted the truck two weeks ago 1/8 of a tank and it weighed 4595 lbs I dont know the aaccuracy it was a certified scale so i assume that it is right but I would question it only because of the difference between your numbers and mine!

I gotta throw my .02 worth in here too. Go See Terry....I've known him for many years and he knows how to make things go fast.....turbo cars and trucks in particular.

Your current turbo expert is a scary dude.....4000 stall.....NOT
Dale

Thanx for the info guys But I have all the confidence in the world in Paul he has built many turbo cars one being a 93 cobra with a 03 cobra motor with a 70 mm turbo, with a DFI and it throughs down 700 hp I have ridden in this car and amazing is all I will say it runs with a 3600 stall! As far as what I will be running it appears the I will more than likely be running a 76mm turbo with a 3200 stall! I met with Paul this weekend to discuss the plan for the truck what i was going to be doing with it I hink he thought the truck was going to be drag racing only which it will be not! At least not for now!

Back