Need some ideas for removing lower blower pulley

oilwell1415

I am finally putting a lower pulley on my 01 that I bought new. Pulley has never been off and it's a bitch. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, heated the hub, hit it with a hammer, hit it with the air hammer, used a 4 foot cheater under the weight of the truck, and probably a few other things I've forgotten about. I really don't want to destroy it to remove it, but it's looking like I'm headed that direction. I also need to change the accessory belt, which is the real reason behind making the change. Any other ideas?

Most the ones I have done back in the day were a bitch. They usually broke free with a loud bang. I would be working on someone’s truck and they thought I broke something.

Well, personally, having done it myself with the vehicle on jack stands and me under the vehicle, if I were to do it again, I'd go different route. Remove the fan and radiator shroud and do it from above using the longest sumbitch breaker bar I could find with a piece of pipe on that. From above, there are no limitations on how long a bar you can use. Nowadays, if I'm messing with the lower pulley at all, I do that.

And yeah, when they let go, BANG!01010013.JPG

I did get the pulley off, but don't really have anything to post about how. Wednesday night I was working on it and got distracted and never made it back out to work on it that night. I left the jack sitting on the breaker bar with weight on it all night long. When I got home from work on Thursday the pulley was loose and came right off.

I did get the pulley off, but don't really have anything to post about how. Wednesday night I was working on it and got distracted and never made it back out to work on it that night. I left the jack sitting on the breaker bar with weight on it all night long. When I got home from work on Thursday the pulley was loose and came right off.

sounds like it paid off

Just echoing others here but I've always locked up the trans and done it from the top with a terrifyingly long breaker bar (5'+) a real socket that fits (instead of a pipe wrench) is also an excellent investment.

Back