need an auto computer genius' input

I6tq

I have a mid 90's truck im converting from 4.9 to an oe roller 351w.
Im gonna keep it speed density.
Engine will be stock.
Transmission will be a manual trans.

Guess my question is two part.
First being is it possible to reprogram the stock 95 4.9 ecm...to work with the roller 351w?

Second question, its proving tricky to find a speed density 5.8 manual trans ecm, but this would be the logical choice, were any roller equipped 351w speed density, im pretty sure 96 was mass air across the board, as well as the 97 f250s with the 5.8, were the 95 5.8s roller equipped speed density?

Thanks

I'm certainly not an computer genius, but I suspect the 4.9L computers lack the circuitry for the extra two cylinders; and even if one could be reprogrammed to run a 5.8L, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could do it; and even if you found someone, they'd charge you more than it would cost you to replace the ECM.

Running a 5.8L manual with a 5.8L auto ECM is no problem - there's several guys here who have done 5-spd manual swaps on their Ls. Lots of OBD-I SD 5.8L ECMs out there. Steve83 usually has a few lying around - you could check his spare parts page 1983 Ford Bronco Spare Parts pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net and send him a PM.

Good source of program codes here: http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/?p=17

94 was the first year of the roller 351, so yes there would be 2 years worth of roller cam 351 vehicles to choose from, 1994 and 1995.

94 was the first year of the roller 351, so yes there would be 2 years worth of roller cam 351 vehicles to choose from, 1994 and 1995.

roller/non-roller makes no difference to the ECM program, and transmission makes no difference if you're manual, just make sure it's:
-> for a 5.8L
-> OBD-I ('95 & earlier)
-> SD

39D15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
8QF5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
8QJ5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / C6
8QN5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
A0C25.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
A0C35.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
A2Z5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
A2Z15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
Ban15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
BTQ5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
C1Z5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
C2S25.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
C9S15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
D1X5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
D9D15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
D9L15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
D9J25.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / C6
E9C5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / C6
E9C15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / C6
E0D5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
FK15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
JAG25.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
S0M5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
U2U15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
W2J5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
X0P5.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank
X2Z25.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank / E4OD
Z2D15.8Bronco, F-x50 E-x50SD-Bank

Ive checked that link out previously...kinda led me to ask about the programming as the pinouts are identical.
I read a post a while back...not on this site....where someone tried the 4.9 ecm with a v8 it ran horrible until they realized two injectors werent firing....they rewired the harness and allegedly it ran fine thereafter. That sounded great...but then I began to wonder just how different the timing fuel tables were between the two...being an unknown, it give me headache and an urge to post here. Lol

I was wondering if an ecm out of an automatic transmission truck would throw a code if I used the manual tranny?

Thanks for all the replies.

How many cylinders there are doesn't matter at all. The injectors are batch fire and the ignition is handled by the distributor and module with timing advance being the only thing the PCM is responsible for. If anyone installed a PCM that caused problems because of injector wiring it is because they use a PCM out of a vehicle that used sequential injection instead of batch fire. The pinouts on the PCMS are identical betweent the 4.9 and V8 trucks. The only differences are for the auto trans and that the VIN R 351 in the L doesn't use a knock sensor. A PCM swap will be far better financially than trying to reprograms the 4.9 PCM.

If you want a 351 powered truck you should just go get one. You will be time, money and sanity ahead by skipping this swap and getting the truck you really want. That said, where are you located? I can always use more 4.9 parts to clutter my garage fi you decide to dothe swap.

I did the 4.9 to 351w swap. My truck had 80,000 on it and the paint an interior were spotless. Whole swap getting everything from pick and pull and rebuilding the motor myself cost me $2000. Now I have a 351w f-150 with a 5-speed which was never built. So I wasnt going to be able to go out and just buy one. And if I bought a 351w truck as clean and did the manual swap I would have been into it the same money.

Back to the OP question, just go to the junkyart and get any 92-95 351w computer. I run one out of a 93 auto bronco. Never had any problems.

You did the swap for $2000 (which is a very cheap rebuild) and now have only one truck that isn't worth $2000 more than it was before. If he bought a 351 truck and swapped the trans or a 302 truck and swapped the engines he would have the truck he wants plus a truck to sell to recover most of the cost. He also doesn't have to screw around with changing the frame mounts, radiator, hoses, exhaust, wiring, accesories, etc.

You did the swap for $2000 (which is a very cheap rebuild) and now have only one truck that isn't worth $2000 more than it was before. If he bought a 351 truck and swapped the trans or a 302 truck and swapped the engines he would have the truck he wants plus a truck to sell to recover most of the cost. He also doesn't have to screw around with changing the frame mounts, radiator, hoses, exhaust, wiring, accesories, etc.

Frame mounts took about 20 minutes of grinding and the mounts came with the motor. Exhaust would still have to be changed from 302 to 351w because of deck height. Wiring, accesories, computer, etc, for the 351w all came with the motor I pulled from the junkyard complete for $250. So yes the v-8 radiator with the outlets on the correct side was a $50 extra expense from the junkyard. So I fail to see how starting with a 302 truck puts you ahead really at all. Plus 302 manual trucks, although they made them, are hard to find.

And $2000 was just a stock replacement rebuild, luckily the block only needed a bore and deck. All new bearings, cast pistons, a buddy had some rebuilt e7 heads for $150, nothing special, me doing all assembly work. Been running strong for the last 40,000 miles.

20 minutes or not it's still a pain in the ***. The deck height is accounted for in the exhaust manifolds. We put a 351 out of an 88 in a 95 that had a 302 and it bolted right up. It was an afternoon job if we hadn't spent a few hours diagnosing and replacing the junk distributor in the 351. Maybe 302 manual trucks are hard to find out west, but they are plentiful here. Autotrader spit out 20 of them for sale.

So was it a $2000 rebuild or $2000 total for the entire swap?

No need to discuss the validations of this swap.
My truck has less than 100k on it.
The 4.9 seized a couple valves.
I got a deal on an f4te 5.8 with low miles.
I already have most parts, I just need a couple gaskets, motor mounts, and im ready to make some noise.
Even after I replace the clutch, slave cylinder and install new exhaust, ill have less than 1500 in it.
Is it worth it?
I dunno, its cheaper than a couple new car payments.
Ive had this truck 15 yrs, I know what I have, I buy someone elses junk I have to find out.
I tried to buy a good pre 96 ford all spring and summer and all I came across was high priced junk, figured mh truck was nicer, might as well give it life again.

Oliwell1415
Your more than welcome to buy whatever you want off this 4.9 engine. I have a set of clifford efi headers im selling, worked great, no problems. I wont give anything away but I can offer reasonable prices.

Last edited:
You brought up something interesting though. Im using a lightning injector harness for my swap, you said the lightnings didnt use a knock sensor, wonder if the connector is still on the harness, I bet the non L ecm I use will be looking for that?

If the engine you have is not good that changes the economics a lot. The two trucks I convereted from 6 to 8 cylinder were both blown up. Other wise I wouldn't have messed with the conversion.

Where are you located? The biggest problem with buying 4.9 stuff is the shipping, so if it isn't close enough to me to pick it up it probably isn't worth it.

Yes, the non-L computer will be looking for it. Whether or not it cares depends on which PCM it is. Some will have a fit, others will just press on with no concerns. It isn't difficult to add the one wire for the knock sensor to the harness.

Im at 40346
I did a parts search for a 95 non L 5.8 knock sensor on autozoo and advance frustration and got no results.
Maybe ill try to find a 95 ecm and hope for the best, im sure itll tell me if I gambled and lost.

I6tq - FYI, My 95 5.8 out of a bronco does not have a knock sensor. I know the 302's had them. Not sure when/if they had them on the 5.8.

Oilwell - it was about $2000 for the swap and building the motor. I'm sure theres some stuff I'm forgetting so call it $2300. And sure for that much I could have bought another truck. But my 4.9 had blown a head gasket and I just went the 5.8 route over fixing it.

How many cylinders there are doesn't matter at all. The injectors are batch fire and the ignition is handled by the distributor and module with timing advance being the only thing the PCM is responsible for. If anyone installed a PCM that caused problems because of injector wiring it is because they use a PCM out of a vehicle that used sequential injection instead of batch fire. The pinouts on the PCMS are identical betweent the 4.9 and v8 trucks.
If that were the case, then the ecm would have also been looking for a mass air meter, as all SD injection were batch fire...I thought I could be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I6tq - FYI, My 95 5.8 out of a bronco does not have a knock sensor. I know the 302's had them. Not sure when/if they had them on the 5.8.

Oilwell - it was about $2000 for the swap and building the motor. I'm sure theres some stuff I'm forgetting so call it $2300. And sure for that much I could have bought another truck. But my 4.9 had blown a head gasket and I just went the 5.8 route over fixing it.

Thanks. One less thing ill be concerned about.
I feel like a kid again, thinking this 5.8 should be alotta fun with the 5spd tranny.

Back