Nasty intake pics stock and after L&S separator.

CarlWinslow

So I just finished my head gasket project and figured I would throw up a few pics I have taken the last 2 times I had the blower off. For sh!ts and gigs, if nothin else.

First off, I bought my 2nd identical Lightning about 2.5 years ago. I sold my first one so I can purchase my house and grow up a tad. I did so and couldnt stay away any longer.

So first thing I did was pull the blower off and clean everything, replace plugs ect. I remembered how dirty even my first truck was after just 20k miles from the terrible oil situation going on with these. The pics that follow are nasty as hell, its obvious the last guy didnt do much maintenance outside of his recorded oil changes. Truck had 55k on it at the time.

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

4444.jpg

So I cleaned the living hell out of anything and sent to Steig for the stage 5 treatment. Installed a KN air filter, new plugs and a L&S oil separator kit. The truck has been running great since then. It has been nearly 2 years since I did it and roughly 10k miles. I started noticing a stronger and more pronounced odor from the typical passenger side head gasket so I decided this winter was a good time to take care of that. The last few weeks have been spent in the garage tinkering with it. I took some pics of what the intake system looked like after the 10k miles and LS kit installed.

55555.jpg

33333-1.jpg

444444.jpg

So, needless to say I was pretty surprised at the amount of oil still getting into my system. I hate to think that after all this work I would be just reloading all kinds of oil right back into it when its so clean now. On a side note, its also a good thing I tore her down because I was starting to notice an odd rattle at initial start up, come to find the passenger side timing chain guide bolt had wallowed out its hole and it came loose. Coulda been big problems there. This is after it was cleaned up again before reinstalling everything a few weeks ago. It all came clean and I have installed a set of breathers to replace the kit.

66666.jpg

asdfasfasdfas.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Anyone else check their intakes after the kit was installed for a while? Im wondering if maybe something was just wrong in my system somewhere for that to happen. Comparing my stock pictures to the ones taken 10k miles with the separator, I have to think it would look the same after another 45k put on.

Dan
Sorry, the notch pic kinda slipped in and I just couldnt get myself to delete it :D

Last edited:
Wow, those plugs were nasty. Mine were just as bad except for the plug that had a faulty coil. It looked like a chunk of coal on the tip. What breather set up are you going to use? I still have a stock setup and would like to change.

Wow, those plugs were nasty. Mine were just as bad except for the plug that had a faulty coil. It looked like a chunk of coal on the tip. What breather set up are you going to use? I still have a stock setup and would like to change.

I pretty much followed this How-to. http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/how-articles/169656-how-30-pcv-delete.html

It is a nice clean look too, especially since I had everything removed so I was able to cap off the line to the lower intake right at the intake itself instead of the end of the line that comes up.

I had some oil in mine after my first year with a L&S (not like your though) which I found when I pulled my PE to upgrade to a MP. I called Vince and he replaced the L&S unit. Next time I pulled the blower after almost three years there was a little, but I mean very little oil on my intercooler. I'm OK with it needing cleaned about every 4-5 years.

If you had the L&S plumbed with the original stock setup, it's no wonder oil got past, as likely on the driver's side as the passenger side. I haven't pulled my blower yet, but I'm sure based in the condition of my throttle body (clean) that I'm not getting much oil past the crappy compressor separator.

I'm not a fan of a delete: it's gonna stink, literally; and someday someone is gonna nail you for the illegality of it; then what are you gonna do?

If you had the L&S plumbed with the original stock setup, it's no wonder oil got past, as likely on the driver's side as the passenger side. I haven't pulled my blower yet, but I'm sure based in the condition of my throttle body (clean) that I'm not getting much oil past the crappy compressor separator.

I'm not a fan of a delete: it's gonna stink, literally; and someday someone is gonna nail you for the illegality of it; then what are you gonna do?

Im still waiting on that someday.., route your breathers out of site. I used braided lines, the inspector looks it over closely and closes the hood and never mentions anything.

Mines been deleted for the last 7 years and I routed my 3 breathers to a spot low in the fender where theres no smell and no mess on the track. I dont like the idea of oil burning in my cylinder when I need fuel and air only on this weak rod motor. no pinging along with the killerchiller..

As soon as my Posi ported blower is back from the show polisher (LOL) I want to do the clean out. I've only been using the L&S about a year and I originally had a breather but the stink was disgusting.

I have high hopes for the L&S doing what its supposed to do.

Mike

Back