My Truck is a POS (Long Post)

D

daryl

ok, long story here. I pull into the track Wed. night, and a couple friends want me to try their chips, because they're setup for an all stock truck. Luckily, mine's still all stock. You all know the drill, clean the pins the first time you put a chip in. So, a cleanin I did. After putting the damn thing back in 3 times, and taking it back out, because the truck wouldn't start (assuming the pins just weren't clean enough to make contact) I decide to start the truck without the chip. hmmm, all it will do is roll over, but not fire. After much looking, and calling, the truck is flatbedded to a dealership. As far as they can tell, taking the PCM out, made it "lose contact" with something, basically setting off the theft device, rendering the truck useless. Dealership now says, since I called the towtruck, and didn't let Ford do it, they won't pay for the towing bill, and since I tried to install a chip, they won't cover this under warranty. Furthermore, if it isn't solved by resetting the theft system, they say "you'll have a lot of tech hours wrapped into it looking for the problem" which, of course, Ford won't be paying for. Yea, it's my fault I tried installing a chip. Should my warranty be voided at 5,800 miles? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm a little upset that, because Ford has problems with their theft systems (this being what 2 people at their 800 number, and 3 people at the dealership tell me), they can do this just because I was going to install a chip. I'm sure 99% of you would agree what was done should have nothing to do with the theft system. Well, that was long enough!

First problem is that you decided to try friends chips... Would you take another persons medication??? No.. I dont think you would.. When you call JDM and ask to purchase a chip, they ask you questions about what you have done to the truck and so on, then you get a box with the chip, instructions on how to install it and alot of little peices of paper that range from Carb cert to what happens if it wont start.. the wont start paper states that if yours wont start after chip install then send your whole computer to them and they will make the necessary modifications to your computer.

If you would have purchased a chip, instead of try other peoples, you would have known this.. Ford doesnt have a problem with their theft deterrent system, you do because you tried to install a chip.. Call JDM and they can give you more info than I can on this..

One more thing.. even though all the chip makers get carb certs for their products, the federal law states that if you make ANY changes to the manufacturers programming it is a federal crime. Tampering with an emmissiond component is illegal.. but I sure love my JDM chip...

------------------
01 white lightning, JDM flip chip that is the shiznit!!! 2000 Civic Si, vortech, killer stereo, screaming little bitch.
2000 Suzuki RM125. slings mud every weekend.
85 toyota tercel
3 Beagles,My boyz, Pokey, Nitro, and Slinger JJ's Whitelightning

My new albums

the chips were suppose to all be for a completely stock '00. Even so, I fully understand what I did was a mistake. Live and learn I guess. Oh well, at least now they can fix the a-arms again while it's in the shop.

sorry to hear about that ...that kind of stuff sucks to have to deal with ....that is one of the reasons I am reluctant to put a chip in cause i'm afraid somthing like that would happen to my truck plus mines out of warrenty anyways...anyways maybe it will be somthing simple and cheap ...later
red99

lol, if im correct for a federal offense, they have to handcuff you... that would be some funny shit to peek across the street and see your neighbor being taken out of his garage in chains for putting an after market computer in...
when will it stop!!
Pete

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RedRT:
lol, if im correct for a federal offense, they have to handcuff you... that would be some funny shit to peek across the street and see your neighbor being taken out of his garage in chains for putting an after market computer in...
when will it stop!!
Pete

</font>

Lets not turn this political. we already had the gov thread driven into the ground...
It is just the way the "clean air act" is written.

Me to!!
Let them motherf$%ckers try to void my warrenty.
I will eat my rep up!
I am currently protesting my 90+ vibration with the reps and will post responses.
Ford will pay for my muffler one way or the other,I always get even with FOMOCO!!!!!

------------------
2001 WHITE LIGHTNING
factory soft cover, bedrug,JDM filter kit
Bassani catback
diablosport chip

It's nice to have the best chip made for your truck made and warrantied by your manufacturer.
smile.gif

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DaPurpleR/T:
It's nice to have the best chip made for your truck made and warrantied by your manufacturer.
smile.gif

</font>

Its also nice to have a stock truck run 13.80's..... but I digress....

One thing you are forgetting about Mopar Performance parts is that they are Carb certified,and have a warranty from Mopar, but anything that is adversly affected by the use of them is not covered.

Yes, you might have a good dealer that takes care of you, we all do in one way or another, but according to Mopar, any component affected by modifying or racing the vehicle will not be covered.

I admit that Chrysler Damlier is very customer oriented and I have never heard about them voiding anyones warranty on a Dak, but they have to be customer oriented when they make the mistake of selling a truck that doesnt tow or haul what they originally said it would,(remember the little piece of paper they asked you to put in the owners manual???)

One more thing.... If you install Mopar Headers on your Dak or Durango and your converter goes bad, either clogs or comes apart internally and starts rattling, they wont be able to do anything for you because you originally had to cut the converter pipes just before the cat to make the headers work, and most dealers wont fabricate a new converter to match your headers.. my old R/T's cat went bad and luckily the dealer gave me the converter under warranty and we had someone come out and cut and weld the new one in place at our cost. We also had to return the old one as a core..

Daryl, just as an aside, they can only void the warranty if they can prove that the aftermarket modification lead directly to the failure. In your case they may have enough evidence to void the warranty on your computer only, BUT I still think you should consider contacing SEMA (check out www.sema.org) for some legal advice.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
Lightning #74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2-lotsa mods
Lightning #582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75- Swanson chip
1973 Datsun 240Z - project car
Drive 'em like ya stole 'em!
trux2.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DaPurpleR/T:
smile.gif

</font>

You feel better now?

Daryl,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you can resolve it quickly. My truck did that once, it wouldn't start and the "theft" light kept blinking. I took the key out, flipped it over and tried again. That time it worked. A friend of mine said his Lexus will do the same thing if the chip in the key can't be read correctly, his was caused by the key ring being in the way. I've ran Superchip's in my F250 and my Lightning, had the PCM out numerous times and never had a problem.
I guess if it gets bad enough you could always sell the L and get an R/T. Then you could get one of those stable, warranted, whopping 10hp dodge chips.

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
NEWEST mod - Single Blade TB, JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

View

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DJANIMATE:
You feel better now?

Daryl,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation
I guess if it gets bad enough you could always sell the L and get an R/T. Then you could get one of those stable, warranted, whopping 10hp dodge chips.

</font>

excuse me, but I thought I was the only one allowed to say things like that.. Atlease that is what I have been accused of before..
Thanks D.. that made my day... JJ

------------------
01 white lightning, JDM flip chip that is the shiznit!!! 2000 Civic Si, vortech, killer stereo, screaming little bitch.
2000 Suzuki RM125. slings mud every weekend.
85 toyota tercel
3 Beagles,My boyz, Pokey, Nitro, and Slinger JJ's Whitelightning

My new albums

well, no word yet. They can't seem to be able to figure out what's wrong with it. (what a surprise). Thanks for the link Jeff, I'm going to check it out, considering they keep insisting that I took the dash out, for some reason or another, when I never did. I just wish they'd fix the damn thing. There's a damn Ford event coming up July 7th, and I'd like to be there! hmmmmm, should I try a chip that day?? :)

Back