My New Project Truck

RazinCain

Gen 1 Throw Down
Well. I finally got my hands on my wife's uncles 79 f150 short bed 4x4. It does have a smidge of rust right above the rear fenders but that's about it. The original hood had heavy surface rust so it was replaced last year with a donor hood that is nice n straight albet a different color that the rest of the truck. Has a c6 and a 400. Runs like a top.

What's cool is I know the history of the truck entirely. My wife's uncle bought it brand new and drive it until he died 3 years back. About 6 months after he died his daughter sold it to my brother in law. Offered it to me first but I wasn't in a position to buy it. Well, my bro in law has maybe put 500 miles on it since then. He is quitting his job (oil field sucks) and offered it to me yesterday. I bought it on the spot. I'll go pick it up sometime this weekend. Solid solid truck. I plan to do a complete restoration on the truck and do some simple tasteful mods along the way. Maybe a small 4" lift and some nice wheels/tires. Truck is truly all original with the exception of the dual exhaust with super sweet redneck glass packs. Easy enough to change. I won't really get to dive in until I get my hog paid off next year (promised the wife if do that first. Hahahah). It does need paint and the two rear bed side fender rust replaced. I'll prolly end up putting new bumpers, grille, and emblems but want it to visually remain stock with the exception of the small lift and aftermarket wheels/tires. Im also going to use this as an opportunity to try my hand at replacing sheet metal and painting. I'm super excited. I'll post up a couple pics after I get her home. When my son gets old enough to drive I wanna give it to him to drive to high school. Hope he is as good at sports as me so he gets a scholarship and I ain't gotta pay for college tuition. Hahahaha. If so my youngest will be old enough to drive it when my oldest goes to school. That is my plan to keep the ol girl in the family and get my boys to appreciate something as cool as this.

In for pics really like the older f100s. My wife's best friends dad had one a 79 long bed 4x4 he bought in the early 80s and kept till he past away a few years back suddenly. Now it's hers. It has a small lift. And he worked at a machine shop and built a 460 for it. Him and his daughter did all the work. Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMAG1932.jpg
    IMAG1932.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG1931.jpg
    IMAG1931.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 28
Can't wait to see your resto - I've often thought that I'd like to do a 70s big block resto-mod (easy on the mod) :tu

Pics.

Notice that there is only about 3 small dent near the rear tail lights. Those are the only dents or dings in the whole truck. I need to adjust the hood. There was a small amount of rust near the windshield trim by the drivers a piller and the little bit of rust above the wheel wells. Needs a passanger side floor pan. But that's it. Under the truck looks frigging awesome. All the hangers, shock towers, spring buckets and everything else look to be in great shape. Drives nice. Note this truck is complete down to the spare tire tools under the hood. Even has the original paperwork and manual in the glove box. Not even a dent in the bed. It's super straight. Also it doesn't have all the trim on the sides. I hate that. Small mirrors, love those. I didn't notice this till I got it home and was looking it over but it's a factory ac truck and it's all there. Blows warm but it's still there.

That is an awesome foundation for a good restoration project! I would love to find one that solid! What transfer case is in it?

NP 205.

Since there is a gathering near me called "Red Necks with Paychecks" that is basically a couple day long drunken mud fest, it's super hard to find an old truck like this that hasn't been hacked up or had parts stolen from it. In my area this is a super rare find!

Something like this would be nice ...

001.jpg

Ron that's exactly how I invision it to look just solid red (factory on my truck, just faded to orangeish brown now) and a little taller. Just cuz I can't leave a stock suspension alone.

Good looking truck Dawson... but I'd go.the other way with it, drop it..pull the 4x4, CV front suspension, Coyote and leave the Patina..

If it were already 2wd Id prolly do something like that Bret. Just can't bring myself to change Uncle Danny's truck that much. I watched an episode of Gas Monkey where they did that (302 swap not a coyote) and I thought it was super cool. This is gonna be a driver for me. Taking the boat to the lake, hunting, ect. just like its been used for the last 36 years. A nice driver vehicle. My L doesn't get driven much at all now and my C10 is my truck I take to shows when I go. I'm prolly gonna sell my usual poke around truck (12 Chevy Silverado crew 4x4) and just drive this. It's way cooler. I put most of my miles on my work truck which is a freebie from my yob. I've got 5 trucks now. I think I should start going to meetings to talk about my addiction.

Single cab short beds should be 2wd, long bed trucks should be 4wd. That my opinion, don't shoot me Ron!

Single cab short beds should be 2wd, long bed trucks should be 4wd. That my opinion, don't shoot me Ron!

Nope ... I don't disagree.

The long-bed seems to suit the stance of a 4x4 better.

Aside from the cab step and the tire brand, this truck is absolutely identical to the one I drove in high school out in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

ebay779789.jpg

Back