My Mom's 1986 Ford Crown Victoria

Now it's just a waiting game for the weather to kind of break; or at least be consistently above the freezing mark so I can do basic things like pull the plugs and spray the cylinders down with WD-40. Yeah, I'm contaminating the oil and I will have to change it out again before the 1st fire; but it's cheap insurance.

true ..

Last weekend I decided to replace the ECM ground connector once again. This time I spliced further up the harness where the 5 ground wires merge into 1 wire. There was a mass of hardened duct or electrical tape covering the merge. I spent 20 minutes cutting and breaking that tape apart. I found out that in the '80s, Ford crimped that all into one 14AWG wire; then ran some tape over it and called it a day. I noted that is where the wire was bent and fairly flexible. In any event, I removed the single-pin Deutsch connector I had just put in there a month ago; and put the 2-pin Deutsch connector back in its place. I spliced 3 of the ground wires to one pin; and the other 2 ground wires to the other pin. Everything seems to be solid. Unfortunately, when I powered up the system yesterday, I still had the same problem. I am going to test the ECM relay next time I am out there. And maybe have my Dad show me how to do a continuity test on the ground connector as well. Beyond that; I will have to either send this car to somebody who knows '80s Ford EEC-IV systems; or consider parting this car out.

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

So if I understand, you're getting dash lights and fuel pump like you'd expect from the ECU operating correctly, but nothing when you turn the key? If so, that has to be the relay. If it clicks but doesn't spin the starter, then it's the solenoid.

Right now; I have dash lights, the horn, headlights, and my gauges have power (they twitch with the Key On). Nothing else seems to have power. No fuel pump; no start with the key. I can jump the starter at the solenoid though. This is making me think I have an ECM issue; either at the ECM relay; and/or my A9P went south sometime in the past few months.

I had that all working last Fall. When I repaired the ring terminal for the ECM ground connector; the fuel pump was working properly and I had fuel pressure. It must have been the other 1st start attempts and me trying to fix the key issue; when I lost the fuel pump once again.

Once you figure out what the issue is, I have something you might be interested in - an AEM Series 1 Plug and Play ECU. I used it on my truck for a while, but eventually changed to the Stinger ECU. I'd let it go pretty cheaply since it's just sitting on the shelf.

Thank you :) I may take you up on that offer. This shouldn't be all that complicated; and yet I am not able to figure it out. I am learning how to diagnose electrical issues now; so I guess some good is coming from this. One thing I might do is take the intake manifold off and look at the wiring harness behind the engine. There is a possibility I crushed something when I first stabbed the engine in there.

I was doing some house-cleaning yesterday and came across my replacement ECM power relay; that I thought I had already replaced. When I was done with all of the cleaning, I took some time to look at the Crown Vic ECM power relay. I discovered that I failed to replace that relay; I just cleaned the housing. I ran over to Home Depot and grabbed some contact cleaner and dielectric grease; went back home and did my thing. That relay was pretty cruddy. I'm letting it dry a bit; and maybe tomorrow I will connect the relay and see what I got. Not expecting much; but it does look a lot better than it did. Before I do that; I'm thinking of pulling the terminals out of the connector to see what the rest of it looks like. I might also take all of the relays out and clean them; as I didn't do that when I replaced them.
IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

I was inspecting the fuel pump relay whilst pulling the other relays last night and found that my fuel pump relay was kinda cruddy. Then I remembered that I didn't change that out because I had already done so 12 years ago when the fuel pump went south. So I gave the connector and the relay a good blast of contact cleaner and let them dry overnight. I will apply the dielectric grease some time today and plug them back in. I noticed that on the connector end; one of the tabs that hold the terminals in place had broken off. I will hold that wire when I go to plug that back into the relay. If I have the time, I will power up the system and see what I got.. In the meanwhile, I will look for 25 amp relays and matching connectors to replace the fuel pump relay in case that connector becomes a problem. Never intended to go this deep into a project; and still get nowhere :-/

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 8
I stole some time last night to power up the Crown Vic and discovered the situation didn't change; still no fuel pump and no bumping the starter with the key. So I am thinking of disconnecting the A9P ecm and cracking it open to see if the capacitors for those circuits are not burned out. Even though it's a remanufactured unit; I may have burned it out when the ground connector came off of the battery. If this is not the case and the ecm is in good shape; I might send it out to be looked at anyways; as other components could be damaged. Beyond that, I have no idea what to do with this car. I will also reinvestigate my mass air swap wiring and see if I didn't mess that up somehow.

What about the "park/neutral" safety switch? That won't impact the fuel pump, but it would the cranking.

Already replaced it when I got the AOD. The original one I pulled from the stock trans was in rough shape. I should see if I have it still in the basement somewhere. Also traced that white/pink wire as far as I could trace it and it looked to be in good shape.

Simply put a test light on your starter solenoid and hit the key. Like Jeff said there's something interrupting that circuit. As far as the fuel pump goes, it's a strange coincidence that you just had the relay out and cleaned and now no bueno so I'd check for power at that plug and maybe even swap the relay

I tested the starter solenoid and it's still the same; being able to jump the starter at the solenoid; but no power coming through the switch side (S-post); which for the Crown Vic is the red wire w/blue stripe. There is a possibility that I may have mushed that wire during the 2nd engine install attempt. I am going to pull the upper intake off and get a look back there to see what condition that part of the wire harness is in.

As for the fuel pump; it may not have been working for a while. I had been focused on getting that starter to work off the key; and replacing the ECM ground connector. I just noticed that I couldn't hear it running after replacing the ECM connector. That Holley fuel pump is very quiet; in fact, a bit more quiet than the stock fuel pump. I may have missed that for a while. It was running after my laptop mishap. In any event, I'm pulling the A9P and will open it up to get a look at the innards. At the same time; I will check my mass air swap wiring; in case I missed something there. Hopefully one of these days (or years), I will figure this out.

I was able to get a little time yesterday afternoon to pull the A9P out of this car. I removed the cover and found that one of the capacitors had a corroded leg/connection. This is the capacitor that was laid up against my Quarterhorse. Since I have no expertise in ECMs; I am going to ship this out to FoxResto.com to have them repair and do further assessment on its condition. Hopefully my hunch is right about the ECM being the culprit to my many, but simultaneous issues.

On an unrelated note; I have been setting my daily driver up for a full dual exhaust swap. I hope to accomplish 2 things by doing that. 1) reduce the extra inventory of exhaust pieces (namely most of my leftover 2.5" pipe and 2 mufflers) and 2) get some more mpg out of my car. I was originally going to run BBK shorties for a new edge and assemble my own Y-pipe into a single 3" exhaust. But since I messed up the Crown Vic exhaust, I spent a little more to get fitted longtubes and a X-pipe. I also have some gawdy 4" Monza resonated exhaust tips from the late '90s that have been sitting in my parent's basement for 24 years. Might as well put them to use.

Exhaust is a fun fab project. I've done a couple on past projects. I'm certainly no craftsman, but it worked well enough.

I need to get busy on my little mid mount turbo setup. That shouldn't take more than a few welds. I need a good tubing cutter.

My exhaust is simple. I bought a stock driver's side tailpipe from RockAuto for $40; and then cut my existing passenger side tailpipe off (my car has a single exhaust(n)). I used those pipes as a template for the 2.5" tailpipe assemblies. I hope it's not too difficult to line up the headers and the rest of the exhaust. I'll cross that bridge when I get there I guess.

I made a quick call to Foxresto.com about my A9P and they said that I can ship my ECM to them; but I should be aware that my Quarterhorse may have damaged the processor; at which point, there is nothing they can do. I'm hoping that is not the case.

I will be getting my ECM (A9P) back from foxresto.com. They told me that they performed a standard rebuild as a couple capacitors went bad; which is typical for the early Ford ECMs. I asked the customer service rep what failed? She said that she was the one who serviced the ECM and said there was no notable damage; just the usual components that needed replacing and I should be getting it back sometime this week. So in preparation for its return; I checked my wiring yesterday to confirm that I did the mass air conversion correctly. I forgot that I used a label maker to ID the wires when initially did this. Made tracing the wiring much easier. The only one I am not sure of is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire that I had to splice into. That splice is lower on the main harness and is covered/blocked by the rear of the engine. I would have to take the engine out to check that portion. Hopefully my problem(s) were in the ECM. We'll see when I get it back. In the meanwhile, I am getting ready for the full exhaust install on my Merc next weekend. That will free up a good amount of space in the basement if I am successful.

Back