My 94 f150 XLT

Why're you sticking with hydraulic? I ask because I battled valvetrain issues (collapsed lifters, dropped valve) until I said forget all that and went solid roller. I didn't run a radical cam at all, but had plenty of spring, so no more problems.

With shaft mount rockers, setting lash is a piece of cake. I did it once a year in something I drove about 3K a year, and rarely had to make much change at all.

What about running solid roller lifers with a hydraulic roller cam?

I just want nothing to do with lashing valves personally I absolutely hate it. And it's more maintenance then I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why're you sticking with hydraulic? I ask because I battled valvetrain issues (collapsed lifters, dropped valve) until I said forget all that and went solid roller. I didn't run a radical cam at all, but had plenty of spring, so no more problems.

With shaft mount rockers, setting lash is a piece of cake. I did it once a year in something I drove about 3K a year, and rarely had to make much change at all.

I'm just not a fan of setting lash at all. What lifters were you running ?

I had to go back to my for sale post here in 2007 to look that up. They were Crower severe duty, forced-oiling roller lifters, riding on a Crower custom cam, and driving T&D shaft-mount rockers.

I just found it tough to put enough spring on the head with the hydraulic to control the valves at decent RPMs and moderate boost (and I only turned that motor mid 6s). Boost across the surface area of the valve takes away a lot of spring. I didn't turn it any higher with the solid roller, and it idled great, drove great, and ran hard.

Once I had the valvetrain sorted out, I would make 15+ passes in a weekend and not touch a thing on the truck. Just hop in and drive it.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, as I am no cam guru... but I thought lobe ramp profiles were different between hydraulic and solid cams. I know they are between flat-tappet and roller, but thought solid made a difference as well. :unsure: Maybe not enough difference to matter.

I could be wrong, as I am no cam guru... but I thought lobe ramp profiles were different between hydraulic and solid cams. I know they are between flat-tappet and roller, but thought solid made a difference as well. :unsure: Maybe not enough difference to matter.
i've always heard you can usually take a hydraulic roller cam and go solid lifter on it but can't always go the other way for that exact reason.

5860a70fc79e8501dbdc544e1670d3fd.jpg

Well ended up getting early entry for sick summer this year! Looking forward to doing this trip again!!

Good to hear… it’s crazy how quickly spots are bought out! I really do wonder if there’s an “economic” way of doing these events anymore? Seems like hotels and whatnot are catching on and finding a place within decent distance of tracks are hard and expensive from what I’ve been reading. On top of taking a week or more from work, travel, and hoping no breakages it’s very costly on top of building something to compete with.

Based on my recent KOTOR event the camaraderie and new friends, along with the excitement of competition it’s hard not to justify the expense though!

Good to hear… it’s crazy how quickly spots are bought out! I really do wonder if there’s an “economic” way of doing these events anymore? Seems like hotels and whatnot are catching on and finding a place within decent distance of tracks are hard and expensive from what I’ve been reading. On top of taking a week or more from work, travel, and hoping no breakages it’s very costly on top of building something to compete with.

Based on my recent KOTOR event the camaraderie and new friends, along with the excitement of competition it’s hard not to justify the expense though!

Yea last year I had roughly 450-500$ in fuel and then 850$ in hotels and then figure another 4-500$ on food through the week. It adds up quick but the fun we have makes it worth it! Not to mention the 550$ fee for the race.

Back