My 88 mm build thread

Couple new pics

96f5af09.jpg

ee27ead3.jpg

a little pissed at the florida weather right now. it ruined about 90% of the weekend and cut me off early today. literally all i got done was fill the power steering res and weld on the support tab for the downpipe. i even had to do that when it was raining. so my dad and i decided to start practicing the aluminum welding. we haven't had time to figure out the tig machine. the thing has so many adjustments that we haven't figured them all out. so since all our steel welding is done we switched the mig over to aluminum just to try it. my dad has done it before so he was just figuring it out again. hopefully as long as it doesn't rain tomorrow i can get the bov on and the upper radiator hose finished and then its time to fire up.

well... it's done. Fired up first try last night. only two problems. the t/b surface isn't perfectly true so i took the intake hat to the machine shop this morning to have it planed. also there is some oil getting into the exhaust from the turbo. It idles fine but when i rev the truck a bit it starts smoking out of the exhaust. My drain is questionable because it is teflon lined hydraulic hose which tends to be a size smaller than AN so my #10 hydraulic hose is comparable to a -8 AN line. I'm chaning it out for a true -10 hose today. going to make a few other changes to see if it helps. don't want to just assume bad seals when it could be something i don't have right.

I will get some good video when it is back up and running. I just have a crappy cell vid from last night so i won't put that up.

here is a pic of it completed. I painted the dp last night and wrapped it after i took this pic.

d61dd36f.jpg

Well i think the drain line is probably a factor in my smoking issue. Although the size difference didn't seem to be much when i originally compared the #10 teflon hydraulic hose i had to a -10 an line, the fitting that actually goes in the hose really chokes. when i get my intake hat back and fire it back up i guess we will know if that was the problem. I also had a -10 to 3/8npt for the drain and i pulled it and drilled it to match the id of the -10

09cca532.jpg

The hose size is fine.

Are you running a restrictor on the oil inlet side? Check with the turbo manufacturer, you may need one.

What is the drainback angle on the return line? Does it have a good drop on it?

One thing that can happen as well is crank case pressure can prevent the turbo from draining. Make sure you have breathers or a good pcv system.

HTH

The hose size is fine.

Are you running a restrictor on the oil inlet side? Check with the turbo manufacturer, you may need one.

What is the drainback angle on the return line? Does it have a good drop on it?

One thing that can happen as well is crank case pressure can prevent the turbo from draining. Make sure you have breathers or a good pcv system.

HTH

drain was the problem. fixed it and after all the excess oil burned out it was fine

Back