My 2wd bronco is almost done

After about a year of off and on work its almost done,the lightning front springs arrived yesterday so I will be taking it down to the suspension shop I use for alignments to get new balljoints and install all four springs and it will be ready to drive,I would normally change the springs myself but will need heat to get the rears off and I have no operational torches right now so that job will get farmed out.

After about a year of off and on work its almost done,the lightning front springs arrived yesterday so I will be taking it down to the suspension shop I use for alignments to get new balljoints and install all four springs and it will be ready to drive,I would normally change the springs myself but will need heat to get the rears off and I have no operational torches right now so that job will get farmed out.

What rear springs are you using??? Hopefully not Lightning because they will not fit without changing the hangers.

Broncos use 3" wide springs like F250/F350's
F150's use 2.5" wide springs.

hey buddy im look how is the easy as way to install the same wheel you got on the bronco now on a older gen 1 if you can help me please a will apriciate it

hey buddy im look how is the easy as way to install the same wheel you got on the bronco now on a older gen 1 if you can help me please a will apriciate it

If I remember the drill bit I used was 11/16 and ordered the 1/2 washer lugs. There are two different castings of the 1999/2000 wheels so beware if you are looking at those wheels. The 1999 casting that uses the 12mm wheel stud/lugnut has a smaller lug hole diameter and requires excessive clearancing.

Search the forum threads there is plenty people that have done it.

My bronco has the original wheels and are 5x5 1/2 which I think should be the same as the first generation unless it has the car bolt pattern.

Now I need to plan on phase II and lower it more,I have dropped beams but they are for 82-6 spindles and balljoints so I will see if I can trade them for correct 87 to 96 beams. I am also going to see if I can get someone locally to do a C notch in the frame this summer so maybe next year it will be lower.

I have not done much to it as I am still looking for a set of used 87 to 96 dropped beams,been having low fuel pressure issues and picked up all the parts to convert to a single fuel pump system that I will do when it quits snowing. Still trying to decide if I am going to get rid of the 30 something gallon gas tank and replace with a truck rear 19 gallon tank while I have it apart,I just do not travel that far any more to require that much fuel capacity.

I picked up a set of spindles for the 82-6 dropped beams and will be taking it off the road next spring to finish the lowering,I did convert it to the single fuel pump system so no more two pumps and a set of plugs fixed the hard cold start issues.

Have any pics of the bronco? Seems weird you scored a pair of the 82-86 dropped beams as I doubt they sold 1 set of those for every 20 sets of the 87-96 beams. I guess most people never take them off once they lower the truck. Only difference if I remember right is the ball joints are pressed into the I beam on the older trucks and its pressed into the spindle on the newer trucks. Always wanted to build a lowered 2wd bronco but finding one local that's not rusted is tough.

Always wanted to build a lowered 2wd bronco but finding one local that's not rusted is tough.

Hey Joe. I do happen to know where you can find one of these mythical rustless, showroom condition Broncos...although it would take a RIDICULOUS amount of cash to get me to sell!

Comes with a nice big stroker too!

JK. I am getting sick of all the work, but I'm going to keep her as long as I can.

Last edited:
Hey Joe. I do happen to know where you can find one of these mythical rustless, showroom condition Broncos...although it would take a RIDICULOUS amount of cash for me to get me to sell!

Comes with a nice big stroker too!

JK. I am getting sick of all the work, but I'm going to keep her as long as I can.
Lol it will all be worth it when it's done and your having fun with it trust me.

The guy I bought them off of was going to install them on a 93 and had new balljoints too but after I got looking at it realized it was not for the 87 to 96,I am now wondering if that is the reason I got them cheap but no big deal since I got the spindles to work with them now. Right now I can not get any pics since my computer crashed since I was last on here and still need to get one and get off this borrowerd lap top.
Have any pics of the bronco? Seems weird you scored a pair of the 82-86 dropped beams as I doubt they sold 1 set of those for every 20 sets of the 87-96 beams. I guess most people never take them off once they lower the truck. Only difference if I remember right is the ball joints are pressed into the I beam on the older trucks and its pressed into the spindle on the newer trucks. Always wanted to build a lowered 2wd bronco but finding one local that's not rusted is tough.

My rebuilt AOD is buzzing so its going to get a 5 speed swap when I find all the parts,that trans should not have been rebuilt since it had alot of trash go through it and I might try another valve body first since a fluid changed got the noise to quit for a week and the noise changes when I move the shifter but it works great other then the noise.

Not much has changed,still have not gotten it lowered and the noise in the trans comes and goes so I think there is debris still in the valve body. Life got in the way and too many projects so I hope to get back on it soon.

Back