Mount spare in bed?

M

Monroe

Has anyone seen a slick way of doing this? I also need it to fit under a fiberglass bed cover.

I've crawled under this thing for the last time. Plus I mounted up an extra Gen 1 wheel I had for the spare.

Thanks in advance

Monroe

I just let mine slide around all over the place... I definitely agree with you that trying to get the stock spare out is a really frustrating proposition.

Only thing I could come up with to mount the spare is to drill some holes... so it just slides.
wink.gif

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

...hmmmm, I'm like Jeff, mine slides everywhere. My only suggestion
would be to fab up some sort of "frame" that the tire could sit in while in the bed. The "frame" could be built such that it could be mounted via the large bed bolts and have some sort of cable to strap and secure the tire? Maybe use some simple angle iron for this? Man, I'm sounding like some sort of hillbilly...

smile.gif

- Kevin

My spare is in the bed behind the passenger and is held in place with a bungee cord hooked through the hole in the side of the stake thingie. I think it moves a little but it doesen't slide around.

------------------
Sam Sells
White '95 #1325

In terms of the corner speed/handling, it's a high COG wich is BAD.
Oh Wait! I know! Chain it to your grill so it covers the front end, just like the hillbilles do!!! LOL

Hey, watch what you say about us hillbillies! Just kidding. The frame idea is what I use. I cut 2x4s to size, notched them to fit together like lincoln logs so I can put stuff in there and not have it slide around. Doesn't look like much, but it's covered up by the bed cover and it works. I'm going to look into the steel, bolted down frame deal though. hmmm . . but it would have to be 'removable' for race days.

------------------
VJ Racing
Black 93 #3181
nloc 72
13.90@97.7

Have you guys looked into 4WD supply houses? They have kits for mounting spares in the bed, like Baja trucks do. They are made of metal and the tire bolts in at an angle so it looks a little better than laying flat. The use either the lug nuts to to mount the tire or a singe nut in the middle to guy through the hub hole. Plus, they are lockable.

Kevin Lewis

Back