Moog front end rebuild

shaunditty

Shaunditty
I got everything to rebuild the front suspension that I can think of except the sway bar bushings. I am benge watching Youtube videos on how it’s done. I’m gonna give it a whirl during this quarantine. Any suggestions and or tips are welcome and appreciated.
6fe82b3e3a86feec190f8404bf251128.jpg

Ball joints
P# K8432T (x2)
P# K8431T (x2)

Adjustable Camber bushing kit
P# K8968 (x2)...... edit... (4/20/30) these bushings don’t fit. I ended up cleaning my originals and soaked them in Rustoleum Rust resolver and wire brush till they looked good. I might revisit this later if I don’t like how the tires sit.

Axle pivot bushings
P# K8300 (x2)

Outer Tie rod ends
P# ES2077RT
P# ES2078LT

Inner tie rods
P# DS1017T
P# DS1138T

Tie rods sleeves
P# ES2079S
P# ES2080S

Pitman Arm
P# K8750

Radius Arm bushing kit
P# K8361

Last edited:
I just did everything but the Pitman arm end on mine. It wasn't bad, just took time and some very dirty hands. I rented the ball joint press and the pickle forks.

I still have a little clunk in the front end occasionally, makes me wonder if the steering box might have a bit of slack in it or something.

I just did everything but the Pitman arm end on mine. It wasn't bad, just took time and some very dirty hands. I rented the ball joint press and the pickle forks.

I still have a little clunk in the front end occasionally, makes me wonder if the steering box might have a bit of slack in it or something.

My nieghbor is a Pro-mechanic and luckily I have access to all tools necessary, however I am trying to practice social distancing for now. He’s a good friend and it sucks not wrenching together like normal. I noticed 2 things. One the Pitman arm is slightly different but looks like it’ll work fine, and the small inner rod on drivers side has a slightly different bend, but I’ve read it too will work fine. I will know more soon. Any one have input on those 2 items and their differences? Any problems with them being slightly different? I plan on getting out in the garage today and starting disassembly. I’m hoping to not need a steering box, I want to see how it does first, if necessary I’ll look into replacing the steering box a little later.

if you're going to replace the sway bar bushings, might want to consider the black urethane ones from energy suspension.

I really need to do this myself...I did all the bushings a few years ago with the Energy Suspension stuff when a radius arm bushing split in half...but tie rods and ball joints still need to be addressed...

I ordered motorcraft tie rods, to do the same job, but noticed they didn’t come with nuts or cotter pins. Seriously :headscratch:

I really need to do this myself...I did all the bushings a few years ago with the Energy Suspension stuff when a radius arm bushing split in half...but tie rods and ball joints still need to be addressed...

I already can’t wait to finish this. I want to paint my I-beams, springs and Radius arms too. My spring bucket is ugly looking too.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered motorcraft tie rods, to do the same job, but noticed they didn’t come with nuts or cotter pins. Seriously :headscratch:

That sucks. I could reuse my castle nuts but I always use new cotter pins if I can.

I'm about to do the same thing. Front end rebuild all the way to the gear box. New sway bar end front and rear plus bushing for them. Bushings for radius arms and axle pivot bushing along with some lowering springs up front and new spring bushings. Im planning to use black energy suspension bushings for everything. Also going to put new radius arm brackets and frame to front of leaf spring brackets.Then shocks all the way around and traction bars ( finally). Should ride nice also going to cut and weld in a x-pipe into my exhaust.

I'm about to do the same thing. Front end rebuild all the way to the gear box. New sway bar end front and rear plus bushing for them. Bushings for radius arms and axle pivot bushing along with some lowering springs up front and new spring bushings. Im planning to use black energy suspension bushings for everything. Also going to put new radius arm brackets and frame to front of leaf spring brackets.Then shocks all the way around and traction bars ( finally). Should ride nice also going to cut and weld in a x-pipe into my exhaust.

It’s not too bad a job. I’m lucky my buddy has all the proper tools. My shock buckets and radius brackets are crusty, I’m just gonna sand em and paint em.

ab8913b2cc4e2b576d693ae1ae36a0b0.jpg

d49bc6b87a3f371c9847287c0ad3cfd2.jpg

I decided to have this all sand blasted. I will be installing the ball joints and bushings soon and have a quart of semi-gloss Por-15 that I will be applying as well. For some reason I’ve hit a wall and have no motivation. This entire pandemic has me bummed out and overall bad mood. Hope to shake it soon and finish this truck. It’s just not as fun when you’re isolated and my favorite wrenching buddy isn’t around. Plus it’s cold again and I hate laying on a cold garage floor.

Back