Miltary Base Pass Question

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
So my ship is probably going to be parked at the 32nd street Naval Base for awhile and I want to bring my Cobra out when I get assigned to her (The wife won't let me take the truck :blink: ). I'll need to get a base pass but Florida doesn't have an inspection for cars. Is this going to be a problem?

I don't know if my car will pass a Cali inspection with my MagnaFlow catted X and catback, slightly aggressive tune and window tint (it's the legal limit in FL). :?

TIA :clinkmugs

So my ship is probably going to be parked at the 32nd street Naval Base for awhile and I want to bring my Cobra out when I get assigned to her (The wife won't let me take the truck :blink: ). I'll need to get a base pass but Florida doesn't have an inspection for cars. Is this going to be a problem?

I don't know if my car will pass a Cali inspection with my MagnaFlow catted X and catback, slightly aggressive tune and window tint (it's the legal limit in FL). :?

TIA :clinkmugs

Actually if you register it on base you don't have to change plates or register it in Ca. if you are temporarily assigned there as far as I know you can keep your Fl. plates ..it's been awhile but thats how it used to be.

Actually if you register it on base you don't have to change plates if you are temporarily assigned there as far as I know you can keep your Fl. plates ..it's been awhile but thats how it used to be.
I just need a base pass since I'm keeping it registered in FL. I know years ago I tried to get one for NOB in Virginia and they wouldn't give me one without an inspection sticker, which of course FL doesn't have. The local VA inspection joints wouldn't give me a sticker because I had window tint. I eventually found one that would look the other way but it wasn't easy.

I just need a base pass since I'm keeping it registered in FL. I know years ago I tried to get one for NOB in Virginia and they wouldn't give me one without an inspection sticker, which of course FL doesn't have. The local VA inspection joints wouldn't give me a sticker because I had window tint. I eventually found one that would look the other way but it wasn't easy.

So you have your base pass now? Having a basepass for your "homeport" should be enough to get you on base. :headscratch: Registering it on base i could see how they might want local insp. sticker but if you drove from Florida to Ca. you can still drive it on base with your Florida base sticker i would think. As long as you can prove insurance and all.

That was with another car (and they only gave me a temp pass anyway). I don't have any base passes for my car now.

edit - and I tried to get the base pass sticker back then but apparently since I'm a civilian they would only give temps.

That was with another car (and they only gave me a temp pass anyway). I don't have any base passes for my car now.

edit - and I tried to get the base pass sticker back then but apparently since I'm a civilian they would only give temps.

Ahhh i see, i didn't know you were a civilian. I am 100% service connected disabled so i can have a base sticker.:eek:ldtu:

Prior service here....

but am civilian also with base sticker......contractors can get one but the command that they work for needs to sign off on there paperwork in order to get a pass for the lenght of their contract, only if they rate a CAC card. Which is the catagory I fall under. I also live in Cali, so I have to smog my vehicle and provide CA registration and insurance, which I can only get if my vehicle is smog compliant.

Now when I was in the USMC, my home of record was GA, and the cars were registered their also....but to get base decals I still had to have it smogged in Ca......never ? it just did it.

Other contractors can get a contractor pass....,as they dont rate a CAC, for the lenght of their contract.

if not then you willl have to play the paper pass game and if you're lucky they would give you one for 30 days....which is better than the daily pass.

Last edited:
I have a CAC card and my command is at Point Loma so maybe I can get lucky there. I hope I can pass a SMOG. Is that different than a regular inspection?

btw... saw a really sharp white gen2 pass me at the Point Loma base bus stop by Subway yesterday. :cool: Felt a little pang as it passed. :BL:

I would think that since you only need it to get registered on base...that you would only have to do the sniffer test....been a while back, when I was in, and needed the same thing as you....forgot if I got jsut a sniffer test or what.

Think all you need now is the paperwork from your command requesting/authorizing base decal. SHould be all automated now, where I am at on Pendleton, I am on a base inside the base, so my Security Officer handled all that for me. I got the go ahead from her and just had to show up at PMO with registration, proof of insurance and CAC in hand, everything else was in the computer and I got my base decals,,,,after waiting in the god forsaken line....been a contractor out there for 6 years now and dread having to do that process every year. lol

Last edited:
Just to add my experience, my truck is registered in CA smog was required. My car registered in Minnesota (with most of the emissions deleted) is supposed to require a ca smog to get base stickers but when I got my stickers all they asked for was my ID, they didn't even ask for registration or insurance, on 32nd ST they have a separate line for out-of-state vehicles. It's pretty much a hit or miss. I have a friend with MN plates and they made her get a smog. I'm stationed on the Tarawa; my cell # is 320-491-4000.

Good luck,

Back