mildly modified...Diablo Predator tuning???

keith1562

Hello, I am new to this forum and I did look extensively through various performance tips. So I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed. I have a 1999 lightning it is close to stock with only the following modifications, open air box with K&N filter, crank pulley kit, larger intercooler (not sure what size)2001 sized Mass-air flow unit,(80mm?)and a Dyno-max cat back system. All of these modifications were done by previous owners. I know the guy I got the truck from well. Additionally it came with a Diablo Predator tuner. When I bought it, the seller said that when he got it all the tuner settings were maxed out and the truck ran a bit rough in certain conditions (Dry hot weather)& had poor or surging idle quality. To improve drivability he changed all the settings back to stock. So I've had the truck for 3 years and now I'm looking for a bit more grunt. Bare in mind that this truck is my daily driver. I might as well tell you that I am disabled. I suffered a serious spine injury at work, followed by a tough bout with Cancer. I'm in remission and have been for several years but the fight left me with a little gift called Hemolytic Anemia. So I don't drive a lot, mostly to Dr. appts. which are frequent. I generally drive within the confines of posted limits, However in my weaker moments (mentally). I have had a few stop-light encounters. A pair of Mitsu-toya-undai tuners and a newer Camero. My truck has always prevailed but the Camaro hung close. Please understand these encounters have been when traffic is clear as not to endangering anyone. Anyway I've been thinking about using the tuner I have to gain a bit more power. Actually I'd like to get as much as I can without causing increased engine wear or poor drivability. I've heard that some improvements actually improve MPG. (Not that anyone owning a lightning really cares much about economy). I saw that a lot of the early posts (2002-2006) talked about chips. I assume the tuner is used in lieu of a chip or do they work well in tandem? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Keith1562
Keith Schurter,
Central IL

welcome keith. i'm not a gen2 guy and not familiar with the diablo tuner. maybe someone will respond with a suggestion.

Yeah, Lightning and mileage don't go hand-in-hand. LMAO.

Chip or tuner. One or the other, not both.

Sorry, can't help you much. This site isn't really Gen.II oriented. This site is more Gen. I.

You need to go to a tuner that can put teuck on dyno and customize the diablo tunes for the mods you have.

My G2 (03 sold now) had Long tubes with full exhaust pulleys throttle body
K&N and with the tune set up ran like stock. Never ckd mpg as it was a non issue.

Basically your not utilizing the mods on the truck with stock tune installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back