Made my own Gen 3 Lightning, could use some advice.

FATHERFORD

It's a 2004 F-150 Reg Cab Shortbed with a 5.4 3 Valve.

My current mods are...

Saleen Blower pushing 11-12lbs
JDM/Roush CAI
JDM Mail order tune
4.11 gears
Electric Fans
Stock exhaust manifolds true dual with x-pipe magnaflow muffler.
Centerline Billet 20's on 295/45/20 tires(63lb wheel/tire combo)
DJM 3.5/5" drop
Aftermarket hidden hitch(weight savings over stock)

Next time Sr. comes to Houston I plan to have him fine tune it. Jr. said they left the tune VERY conservative. Their truck was doing 480rwhp on 12lbs and mine is at 430/490 currently.

I ran a 13.8 @ 100mph with a 2.29 60' last Friday night at Houston Raceway Park. Granted the weather was low 90's with humidity about as high as it could get(I was watching lightning strike as I was racing). I drove around the water box, backed in to lightly dip the rear tires, and did a nice smokey burnout. I staged and left at idle. I imagine I was around 5100-5200 race weight. My spare tire was removed.

Now I understand the 60' was hurting my time some, but It still seems a bit to slow of an e/t. My MPH seems off also for the power I'm making. I still had to pedal 2-3 times at the line to cut that 60'. Is that hurting my MPH as well? Was the weather playing that big of an effect?

I'm picking up some 295/45/17 MT ET Streets to put on my stock rims. I also plan on building my own traction bars.

I'm concerned my rear end is too lite and it's hurting traction. Do I need to add an ballast to help transfer weight? Should I go ahead and remove my front sway bar(it weighs nearly 30lbs itself)?

I know there a lot more left in my truck and that I'm on the right path. It would just be nice if I could have some advice from some people who have been racing similar trucks now for years. My goal is to see a 12 second pass in the truck. JDM's truck claimed a best of 12.60 @ 110mph so I see no reason why my lighter truck on sticker tires can't at least pull the same.

Truck_002_800x600.jpg

Truck_003_800x600.jpg

Truck_004_800x600.jpg

lots more pictures here..
http://photobucket.com/FATHERFORDF150

first of all, i'm crying down my leg

second, i found your problem of not getting the full potential of your truck

you need some sweet racing stickers!

everybody knows that racing stickers give you 30 horsepower a piece

i like ur truck ! but on the other hand not to hurt ur feelings but those arent good times at all i ran 13.7@ 100 in 80 degree weather with a jdm filter and borla cat back lol no weight reduction or anything. on regular tires.. i do have a 01 lighting and u have ur own built truck so i give u props on that keep up the good work and keep us posted:thumbup:

i like ur truck ! but on the other hand not to hurt ur feelings but those arent good times at all i ran 13.7@ 100 in 80 degree weather with a jdm filter and borla cat back lol no weight reduction or anything. on regular tires.. i do have a 01 lighting and u have ur own built truck so i give u props on that keep up the good work and keep us posted:thumbup:

Yeah, something is not quite jiving and I know that. My mph is way low for the power I'm making. I should be around the 103mph mark.The DA that evening was nearly 2800. Correction factor would put me at a 13.5ish at 102-103 with at 2.3 60'. The 60' is what is killing my e/t. Would love to see it down at 1.9 and that alone would make that run a 13.4 or better.

I'll go again here in 2 or so months with some traction bars, sticky tires, lose some weight and hopefully a new tune and see what the truck will do. I have no doubt the truck will hit 12's.

Last edited:

Damn I should start racing my cabinet in the shop! It's got to be around 2-3k hp by now!

you gotta have a japanese flag hanging from your mirror too, 60hp right thur

take some hints from the tuner crowds guys!

you need a 26-2800 stall converter,then definatly get traction bars on it and sticky tires.dont worry about the weight.

with the 2 mods i listed and traction,you should be mid 12s easy if not 12.0s

nice truck btw!

Wow, that's an excellent rendition of what the new L could have been. I think your truck looks very very good. I'm sure it will really haul butt once you get the bugs worked out. Good Job!

Wow, that's an excellent rendition of what the new L could have been. I think your truck looks very very good. I'm sure it will really haul butt once you get the bugs worked out. Good Job!

I for the most part dug into the ford parts bin for that very reason. Harley Grill, FX2 lower valance, Mark LT door handles, and lariat fender flares. I got hit in the rear at a stop light so I went ahead and did the Sir Michaels roll pan with a hidden hitch and shaved the tail gate. I've thought about getting the SVT prototype lightning rims, but those would hurt performance since they weigh about 20lbs more a piece then my billets.

giddyup said:
you need a 26-2800 stall converter,then definatly get traction bars on it and sticky tires.dont worry about the weight.

with the 2 mods i listed and traction,you should be mid 12s easy if not 12.0s

nice truck btw!

Pick up my sticky tires Saturday and ill start fabricating my traction bars this weekend. I want to see how far I can get on the stock engine/transmission. If I pull the tranny I might go ahead and build it up. I was even looking into the 6spd out of the 09 up since I was told a separate computer runs it:?

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'll make sure and put a Japanese flag on it and wave it proudly!

:D:gl::thumbup:

racing cabinet FTW. But you aint got nuthin on my tool box!!!!!

you guys need to step up your game! my dresser would eat alive lol

anyways sweet truck only thing i would change is i would swap the bed over to the step side from the newer models and put on some gun metal 6 lug lightning wheels from the ford svt website

Honestly, i dont think hes worried about going thhaat fast with the truck (although would be nice) when he also has a viper....
Nice lookin truck!

Just an update, ran a 13.2 at 105.5 with a 2.1 60' this weekend. All I did was play with tire pressure and learning how to launch it.

Yes I'm not worried abouot this trucking being a rocket ship. It's a truck.... I have other toys to go fast in.

Back