Mad Fan

cbxer55

Picked up a Mad Fan from a member of another site. In reading the instructions, I was confused as it made it sound like the fan gets installed backwards in the stock shroud. Further investigation revealed that to be the actual facts. It does get installed backasswards. I guess it still pulls sufficient air through the radiator, even though turning it backwards is a pretty inefficient use of the fan blades aerofoil shape. Like an aircraft wing, the leading edge is round and the trailing edge sharp. Turning it backwards has the leading edge sharp and the trailing edge round.

Found an article on F150online that verifies that the original designer of the kit inttended it to be mounted backwards for a better look and less clutter. So I guess I'm going to give it a go, and see what happens. Should have it all done tomorrow. I have the fan attached to the shroud already, and with the shroud in the truck, the fan will not be visible at all, well inset into the shroud. Big foam gasket around the fan which seals it to the shroud for more efficiency.

This kit utilizes the trusty Mustang GT two speed fan.
The difference is in the assembly. I set it up to go into the
shroud backwards and then reverse the fan direction. This
gives a cleaner looking installation and also frees up more
space in front of the engine for access. Kit includes the
Multifunction Controller, all necessary hardware, etc.
Requires drilling three holes in your fan shroud.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-aftermarket/450768-mad-enterprise-efan-install-review.html

Attachments

• dd7e5a30276665fb9f006c2aabe28233.jpg
    dd7e5a30276665fb9f006c2aabe28233.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 1b61e8b9ce8a9790b9ae93e2bbd5d6b0.jpg
    1b61e8b9ce8a9790b9ae93e2bbd5d6b0.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 14
  • aa64b705d48f945d967defe7cf0e00dd.jpg
    aa64b705d48f945d967defe7cf0e00dd.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
So, got the fan install done, the wiring all done. Fired it up today. Smelled horrible when the fan first kicked on. Also, when I shut the truck off, there was a bunch of smoke coming off the fan motor area. Let it sit awhile, fired it back up, NOTHING! Everything fine. Kicked on when supposed to, kicked on when I turned the ac on. No smoke on the second run. Everything appeared to be normal. Put the radiator cover back on after tie-wrapping all the wires. Hoping for the best here.

I don't know, maybe everything being new and not used for years, maybe it just smoked. I'm extremely leery of it for now. Time will tell. I will say, I was extremely surprised by how much air the thing passes turning backasswards. Wasn't expecting that.

I'm concerned with how hot the control unit gets. Don't know if that's normal or not. It gets frikkin hot!

Well, over at LR, I did a search on the subject. Found several members who've had the same and are happy with it. Didn't really see any downside. Maybe I missed it. The new LR, may be hard to do that search now.

Well, that was scary! Just for reference, 150 degrees F is equal to 66 degrees C. 150 is the lowest setting on the adjustable fan kick on speed. 240 F is the high, 115 degrees C. Had the gauges in diagnostic mode to digitally read the temperature. At around 50 degrees C, all the sudden a big puff of smoke comes out from the shroud. WTF? That's not even close to the minimum setting of 66. I shut the truck off and pulled the battery cables pronto. Stupid fan controller was trying to start the fan at a lower setting than the minimum. And the smoke was coming from the motor, it stinks big time. So the controller was trying to start it early, but the motor went up in smoke. Fockin scary sh#t right there!

Got is all back apart again. Going to clean up the stock fan and re-install. Tested the clutch, and it's fine. I held it in front of my floor fan and it was spinning freely, so it's not presenting any drag to the engine. I really liked the clean look, but I will never trust an electric fan again. EVER!

It would appear I just threw away $250 bucks plus the money spent buying things to get it done right. Some of the supplied already crimped connections pulled apart with way too much ease. Had to go buy new connectors. The wires weren't long enough, so had to crimp on extensions to get them where they needed to go. Really, jsut an all around bad experience.

I made a reply based on a Gen 1 then realized my mistake after posting it. Not used to all the new Gen 2 traffic.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

E fans

BFFE2154-5470-4EBC-8A1C-285A4323C955.jpgI’ve had really good luck with my flex a lite fans. I’m using their controller. And has ran perfectly for nearly 10 years. I’m sure the ones Harley dude is making work fine too. Not sure if you can see in the pic but the dust cover is missing from my controller.

Last edited:
Not buying another efan. Already thrown $250+ in the round open top file. That's all folks. Stock fan going back on as soon as I get my four pound lower cog from Brett.

Back