Ls Vs R/T in Topeka

The 427 SOHC was approved in 1967 after requesting it for the 1965 season. Chrysler stated that if the cammer was approved for the 65 season, they would withdraw. Volume production engines only, no limited production engines, was one of NASCAR's rules. 493 Hemis were produced in 1964 and 207 in 1965. Ford planned to build 500. Volume? Hmmm, sounds about the same to me. Hemis competed in NASCAR in 64-65. If NASCAR would have approved the SOHC in 65, chrysler was going to begin work on a DOHC. They knew the Hemi was no match for the Cammer. It would have been interesting to see what they could come up with. But alas.....
Cammers were in the big Galaxies set up for NASCAR in 66. Can't find out if any were really snuck into actual races, but have seen numerous pictures with "427 Cammer" painted on the hoods of the 66 Gs.
When the Cammers were used at the drag strip, the story was the same. Connie Kalitta used them to waste Garlits frequently. Jack Chrisman, Phil Bonner, Dick Brannan, Hubert Platt, to name a few more used them in Funny and AF/X cars.
Cammers were to be sold to the public for about $3000. And yes, more than a few made it into street cars.

------------------
Stevie-Ray
NLOC #606
Double Aught Red L Gofastruck, #3460 DOB 5-31
ARE LSII
BedRug
Homedics BackExpert 2000
Custom mats
SVT Front End Cover
Clear tails
Keypad Entry
JL Stage II Ram Air
2001 Ranger 4X4 Daily Driver
fea83572.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292774957

You da' man Gitchi!

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
NEWEST mod - Single Blade TB, JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

View

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lil'Zeus:
Danno~
12's on a stock long block is my goal also, but hey....don't you have RR's? I'm sure you will get their on a good day!

RT4U2NV~ where were those 12.30 trucks??? Just curious! PurpleHaze and 13secRT give me a couple of good races each!

~~~~~~~~Got to get my tranny fixed~~~~~~~~~~~

Shane
</font>

Shane,

Yeah, I have RR's.. guess I dont really count those
smile.gif
I was meaning bottom end, cam, heads.... stuff like that. But I hear what your sayin.

Danno

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cplgunn:
Litng1- The first gen. SHO motor is actually a Yamaha motor
frown.gif
. Wish we could take credit for that.

One bad Dakota- What year did the hemi come out? The 427 Ford SOHC came out (I think) in 1967. Take a look at the design on it. I may be way off here- I'm sure someone will let me know.
smile.gif

</font>

The first Chrysler Hemi Appeared in the mid 50's. The 426 design first came around in 64. First as a NASCAR motor, then as a Dragrace motor.

Danno

Moderator!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you please move this to the MOPAR Hemi website please??????

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FMOS Racing:
Who here has a problem with believing that a streetable truck is running 11s? Anyone? Raise your hands and be counted! ::looking around:: Hmmm, none. Didn't think so.

Lynda, what have they done to you now
</font>

What huh... what huh?? Even with the ... uh... Am I drunk or what?

We'll talk to you next time about that... next week when we have the dyno pull. Still VERY street driven. Jeff, have I missed something?? I must've missed something... Will always be streetable...

Jeff... if you have a question about our truck.. I have ALWAYS thought you could talk to us about it. I actually thought you were my friend too.

Lynda Merx

------------------
'99 SY CC Dakota R/T
'99 Dakota Sport
'99 Harley Road King
'00 Dodge Stratus SE
'95 Chevy S-10

Lynda,

I think you need to read Jeff's post again. He was asking who has a problem believng that there are 11 second trucks. And then says that noone raised their hands. Get it? We all know eleven second street trucks exist.

Yeah, you must have been drunk
wink.gif

Good times......

------------------
Kevin Lewis NLOC #405
68 Firebird - Perpetual Project Car
93 Black SHO ATX - Cone Filter, Eibach Springs, and Doug Lewis Tranny
93 Black (Grey) Lightning - Stock
95 Black Lightning - Vortech S-Trim (10 rib), TW Heads (milled and polished), FMS 1.6 Rockers, Lunati Roller Cam, Mass Air Conversion, FMS 36# Injectors, Chip by PSP, Precision Industries Converter (2800 RPM), Bassani Headers, Bassani XPipe, Dynomax Race Mag Bullets, Full MSD Ignition, Electric Fans, And waaaaaay too much fun.....
lowlight.jpg

My 95 when it was down low, stock height now. New pics to come soon...

Pretty good hx on the Cammer,Gitchi, not too much revisionism.
wink.gif
Don't kid yourself,Garlits won many of those races as well. I always thought the Cammer was a pretty cool motor to. Unfortuneately, it had some reliability problems. The chain drive being most noteable. That's probably the reason why it never lived up to its performance potential.
I've never heard anything about Chrysler being scared of the 427.(probably some Ford propaganda
wink.gif
) NASCAR was the one who pulled the plug on that one. They didn't like the direction the manufacters were going.
BTW, you can still buy a brand new 427 from Dove. You don't want to know the price though.
Tom

Is everyone forgetting the Ford 429 BOSS motors also had a hemisperical(sp) combustion chamber? Why is everyone acting like Crapler(sp), was the only one with a hemi?

------------------
It will strike twice.

Nope. I brought that up in another thread. First post back was something like, "Oh yeah, like that was real successful."
Well, I happen to believe that it was, and of course the 427 SOHC we just talked about was also a hemi.

Well, it sounds like the event was a lot of fun. I hope more of you guys (Lightnings and R/T's) sign up for the Sport Truck Shootout August 4th in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Right now there's 8 L's, no R/T's, a couple of Sy/Ty's and 34 454SS's signed up. It'll be intresting to see who has the fastest truck there. Any of you Texas guys that wanna travel with a few 454SS's are welcome to. We are leaving the 2nd.

Hope to see all you guys in Kentucky!

foxspy
1990 Chevy 454ss
ZZ502 w/ Accel FI in the works
smile.gif

Have fun in Kentucky guys, just watch out for this handsome fella..
deliver2.jpg

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
NEWEST mod - Single Blade TB, JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

PB50291.jpg

I was actually trying to stay out of the
"who-had-a-hemi-first" discussion, but I just can't make my fingers stop twitching...

The Daimler-Maybach Diesels in ALL German WWII U-boats (inline 16 cylinders) and almost all German WWII tanks were of the vaguely "hemi" design. As were the Mitsubishi radial engines of the famous Zero (hold your horses and think about it for a minute)...

hell, when you get right down to it, the radial engine mounted in the WWI Sopwith Pup was a "hemi" type design...sorta.

Unless of course, you mean hemi engines available to the general public for street use...In which case I present you with the 1915 FIAT 10.5 liter straight twelve (approx. 700 ci and a whopping 70 hp) and I believe at least one of the Cadilac/Duesenburg/Cord straight-block monsters also had a hemi-type engine although I can't remember which one.

Besides...

ALL, (let me repeat that), ALL Mopar 360 engines that are sold in Dakota R/Ts are made in Mexico.

ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS?,
CL

I don't remember this being a who-had-a-hemi-first question. Some of us are just tired of some people thinking hemi means Chrysler. It's pretty obvious it doesn't.

I think Chrysler just perfected the Hemi.
wink.gif

Hey foxspy, where does a fella sign up? If funds are good, and work is not in the way, I'll be tehre with my bro. Oh yeah, my bro has an 84 S10 with a 355 V8 in it. It's not a Sy, Ty, R/T, or , is it still welcome at this event?

Thanks.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gager:
lots of nice trucks were there

about 10 lightnings and 25 R/Ts

fastest truck was a yellow CC R/T with nitrous and a blower that ran 12.02 second fastest was lil'Zeus in his lightning with a 13.2x

second fastest R/T ran 13.3x i believe so it was pretty close

all in all it was pretty fun
</font>

Actually I ran a 13.29 on Thurs night.. Friday I ran a 13.08... much better track prep...

Danno

------------------
98 DA CC R/T
13.08 @ 103.37
Sigpic.jpg

Hey DaPurpleR/T,

You can goto http://www.454ss.com/Sporttruck/sport_truck_shootout_2001.asp for all the details. The email addy that you sign up with is on that page. I think the rules are that you have to be part of a club, so any part of a club can race. We have the track reserved from 12:00-4:00, and then the track opens to the public, but we are welcome to stay and finish the event if needed, and/or race other cars.

It'll be a blast!!

foxspy
1990 Chevy 454ss
ZZ502 w/ Accel FI in the works!
smile.gif

I wish I could go to BG with everyone!

------------------
Shane L.
93 black- 13.14 @ 104 (mine)
99 red- 13.04 @ 107 (my inheritance) HEHE

Back