LMR Cruise-In 2023 and KOTOR TX weekend

core-rider

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
TL;DR... Roughly 1800 miles roundtrip, invited to VIP garage access parking at TX Motor Speedway for LMR event, joined and drag n' drive event called KOTOR (King Of The Open Road) on a whim and managed to race in their event, got my first 12 second slip in the truck, won a carshow trophy for a show I didn't enter, met tons of cool new people, AND nothing broke!!! 🤘

LONG story so enjoy the ride and pics with me... if not I gave a very brief overview up top. So I've been planning to trip to TX for a couple months once I heard about the LMR Cruise-In 2023 as a bday gift to myself, excuse for a vacation, and to kinda dip my toe in to potential drag n' drive type events in the future. My thoughts were... drive 700+ miles to make at least 1 dragstrip pass at the LMR event Friday, stick around for the Saturday event, then drive 700+ miles home.

Wednesday 11/15/2023... I turned 46! :cool:

Thursday 11/16/2023... I leave out of Huntsville, AL for Ennis, TX by myself with a travel tool kit, jack and stands, drag radials, and cleaning supplies on a cloud-covered occasionally misting day. I chose a route through Memphis, down I40 through Little Rock, then I30 down to Ennis. Drive was fairly uneventful other than overpass/bridges in TX where they seem to want people to have a ramp for jumping the bridge rather than driving over! 😳 Got to the hotel about 8PM and while resting heard some noise outside, went to the window to see a CTS-V wagon with a drag n' drive trailer setup being unloaded. Had Sick Week and Race Week stickers on it from multiple years and I seemed to remember it from race coverage. Thought to myself wonder why they are here, then went back to rest.

Friday 11/17/2023... Woke to see the CTS-V unloaded. Went outside to check on my truck as well as to look at the Caddy. A few minutes later a older gentleman comes outside towards the Caddy and we start talking. Turns out him and his son are in town for a KOTOR event the same weekend at the Motorplex. For those that haven't heard of KOTOR, it's a Drag Week/Sick Week style event, but only for the weekend. 1 track, less miles... weekend warrior type thing that was started by Jared Holt and TRC (That Racing Channel) has come onboard to help with. This would be their 1st event in TX and last event of the season. Previously had been to Arizona and Oklahoma. This was all new to me. We talk for almost an hour in which time I find out they are doing a 200+ mile cruise for their event today, then racing Sat-Sun. I decide I have nothing to do till 5PM when the LMR event starts so maybe I can talk KOTOR people into letting me join their cruise. Get to TX Motorplex about 10PM and just happen to park next to the event tent where organizers and media teams are getting setup... Immediately I see a media guy break his neck and flip a camera my direction. Remember I've just driven 700+ miles in poor weather... my truck is filthy and I'm an OCD kinda guy with that stuff... so instant embarrassment!

1 of their pics I snagged... it doesn't look it, but trust me it was filthy!
KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur.jpg

:cry: People start walking over and questioning me/gazing at the truck, all positive, which gives myself (a very humble guy) feel a bit better knowing the current filth level. One of those people is Jared (event organizer) who commends me on the truck saying he's always wanted one. I proceed to open the hood to show the turbo which again bring eyes gazing. I talk with Jared and explain my desire to join them on the cruise for fun, but I have other events to get to so I won't be racing. He welcomes me and says it will be a great time, I have to pay to enter, but that gets me in on the cruise, all their free swag and prize drawings, and if I complete the cruise I technically entered for the race! YOLO right?!? so I pay and join in on the fun. Their cruises are back road oriented to pass through small town rural American, stimulate their economies, and see parts of the world we normally wouldn't while trying to just get somewhere. This one took us to Granbury, TX voted best small town in America 3 years in a row. Was a cool town with some history. The drive was fun and saw a lot of cool old cars roadside just wasting away. :cry: I will say you TX folks have some crazy rural roads!!! 70mph speed limits on a 2-lane country road that is full of bumps and undulations like concrete/asphalt was just pours into the ground with no cares for grading/leveling of any kind! Many times my lowered L was bottomed out as well as butt puckering the seat to hold on! So back to Granbury... another thing that separates KOTOR from other DnD races is they mint a coin for every race. You get it at the "ending point" of the cruise to prove you made the drive, which is essentially your token to enter the race. Each has a unique design for that specific event as well as numbered... this event however the coin design ended up with the state of AZ on the back instead of TX which makes it funny and more unique!

KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (14).jpg
KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (15).jpg

By this time it's around 3:30PM and it's been misting all day... I get a text from LMR saying the drag event has been cancelled for weather. Bummer because this basically kills any hopes I had for getting in a pass this weekend. I decide head towards Northlake near TX Motor Speedway from Granbury instead of going back to Ennis with the KOTOR group to save drive time since it would save me 100 miles. The whole drive I'm grinning from ear to ear at the great time I've had with the KOTOR crew and being in a real DnD scenario compared to what I'd dreamed of for this whole trip. I chillout at the hotel meeting folks there for the LMR event and end up going to sleep about midnight... still with a filthy truck as it's still misting mind you that now has about 900 miles in total.

Saturday 11/18/2023... Wake up at 5AM, dark of course in search of a self-serve carwash to try and at least have something resembling a clean truck for the LMR Cruise-In just hoping the weather gets better. Wasn't ideal, but got "Bettie" (my truck) cleaned as best I could in the dark and back to the hotel to shower and load up for the day. Keep in mind I'm already entered in the KOTOR race, but no hopes of making it other than to maybe watch some elimination rounds later into the night since the Cruise-In is over by 3PM. Back to the LMR Cruise-In... I get to TX Motor Speedway about 7:30AM to what's looking to be a gorgeous day and endure the long waiting line, once in I ask one of the guys flagging people if there is specific parking for Lightnings and he points me toward the area. I get to the gate entrance for that as another guys is flagging me down... he says, "Man this is a clean truck! Here take this VIP pass and park in the garage, they will flag you in." HOLD UP... WAIT A SECOND!!! 😳 I don't even know what to think right now as I still feel like my truck is subpar clean and I have no idea what trailer queen carshow stuff I'm about to be parked with! 😆 I'll let pics do the rest...

LMR Cruise-In 2023 - Imgur.jpg
LMR Cruise-In 2023 - Imgur (1).jpg
LMR Cruise-In 2023 - Imgur (3).jpg
LMR Cruise-In 2023 - Imgur (6).jpg
LMR Cruise-In 2023 - Imgur (5).jpg

A red G1 pulled in shortly after me with a Vortech setup and ALL the cam chop! I can't remember his name, but he's local to the area... maybe he is on here and will chime in. I walked around all of the show seeing everything there was to see. Opted out of standing in the huge line for a chance to make some passes around the track, but was cool to watch others do it considering some of them had to be reaching 100+mph at times. I'll spare you all the photos I took in here because it's already a long thread and I'm nowhere close to finished. About noon I'd seen all I wanted and was anxious to make it back to see some racing!

Story to continue as I've met photo limit for this post.

Great write up! What a great trip! Sure beats Raymond's trip to Spookfest!

Pretty sure the red G1 is @Required.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Continued... 11/18/2023

I leave TX Motor Speedway about noon headed back to TX Motorplex. I get there right after 1PM to find out they just finished roll racing and were going to begin drag racing Q1 shortly. I had an epiphany... I can race!!! I had no idea what class I could be in and didn't really care as I just wanted to get at least 1 pass in qualifying. I quickly unload all my junk, swap to my drag radials, get teched in, and presumptuously enter the 12.0 index class with knowledge after Q2 I could move to another class if needed. Mind you I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off! It's been at least 15 years since I've been down a track in this truck and that was 1/8th mile, never on a drag radial, and never with the turbo setup... But I was too excited to really get worried! I started with 6psi (wastegate pressure) because I really had no idea how this was going to go.

KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (12).jpg
KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (13).jpg

Q1 went about as bad as could be expected! :ROFLMAO: I left it in D so it upshifted for me and the burnout was horrible. Got to the line, lit the first bulb, foot-braked a bit and rolled into the second bulb, foot-braked a bit more and pushed through the beams... red light! :cautious: I went for a second, felt what I thought was spinning past the 60' and let out to cruise the rest of the way knowing it was pointless for a good time going 20.37 @ 49mph.

Q2 I had my wits about me a little more and was determined to make a clean pass! I went ahead and turned my manual boost controller back up to 8psi (where I normally run). Burnout went well shifting from 1-2 manually, everything went good at the line, hooked and went... then the 1-2 shift just didn't happen. I saw the tach get to around 5700rpm before I let out, then it shifted... weird, got back into it, 2-3 shift did similar thing until I lifted... got back into it and I'm sure I went through the beams on limiter or let off for a 13.44 @ 96.6mph. Everything seemed okay, so I immediately went to a open area of the pits to make a test pass. It shifted perfectly... :unsure: I thought maybe I was wrong about the pass, or maybe it was just an anomaly. At this point I had a decision to make about what index class to choose not knowing if I could make a clean pass, but I knew I wasn't going to be competitive in 12.0, so I switched to 13.0 knowing I had another round to see if I needed to sandbag or be right on the index possibly. I went to the stands to watch others make passes... upon returning to the pits for Q3 I notice something leaning against my tire from a distance. It's a trophy for "Best Domestic"... I hadn't even entered a car show, which was also going on at the event! I walked over to Jared asking if this was left by mistake and he says, "No man, we like to had out trophies to people randomly throughout the day. Your truck is awesome and I picked you to get it!" I don't even know what's going on anymore!!! :ROFLMAO: I mean yes the truck looks good, but as already stated I'm a humble dude! This is just a 30yo truck I try to keep looking decent, have fun with, and mostly tow my boat to the lake with... no way was I the best choice for this award compared to some of the rides in attendance!!! I guess to others I am, which is truly an experience for me and maybe some day I'll get used to telling me such.

KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (11).jpg

Q3... goes about the same ae Q2... still didn't want to shift 1-2 or 2-3 until I chopped throttle. I also realized I needed to shift to OD in order to not over-rev through the lights on the big end. I improved a bit with a 13.35 @ 106.58mph. Okay... I kinda have a chance to go rounds depending on the competitors times which I hadn't even though to pay attention too. I get back to the pits and start looking at logs... everything looks good. Look over the trans tune and can't find anything that stands out as odd with my limited knowledge of PxS. Shifts are set at 5000rpm. Another racer near me comes over and asks how it's going... we talk briefly and he recommends changing to 4600rpm shifts because maybe I have more load on tires and a sticky track compared to street. Sure makes sense to me! I change to 4600rpm shifts and get ready for E1.

E1... As I'm sitting in staging I get worried about how many rpms I've already over-revved the engine... logs showed 5600+ multiple times. Keep in mind my truck is STOCK... other than pulling the upper intake and valve covers off to install 1.7 rockers nothing internally has been touched on this now 156,xxx mile, 30yo engine... just PxS and a 64mm turbo added to it with supporting fuel system. For some reason I had the rev limiter set at 6000rpm, so I lower it to 5300 just for protection.

I get paired with a Chevy Duramax, nitrous bottle in the bed, 8" stack straight outta the bed, drag radials on all 4 wheels... 13.0 index... yeah right!!! By now I'm good with the burnout procedure and pre-stage/stage procedure... I forgot about needing OD and left it turned off because that's what I've always done. We leave the line nearly identical... I feel boost ramp in just after the 60' and I don't see him to my left... 1-2 shift comes and still comes over rpm, BUT my last second rev-limiter change saves me and kills power just enough to allow the shift! I glance to my left and see the Duramax right beside me... 2-3 shift comes and it's good! I'm ahead... just ahead... I glance to my left again and see him ever slowly creeping up... the beams are in sight and I remember I forgot to turn on OD right about the same time it get to shift point... I quickly hit the button... IT SHIFTS... I glance again to my left and the Duramax is literally beside me! We go through the beams so close together I have no real clue who went first. I didn't care at that point... the truck was still running, I'd just possibly won E1 and even if I didn't up until that point I'd had a killer time! I pull to the ticket shack to get my slip and it's so dark I can't even see it... I decide to wait till I get back to the pits... I'll just let this pic tell the rest of the story... I'm number 386 on the right.

KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (10).jpg

Might be the be the closest breakout I've ever seen! I won the race, but lost the round... I didn't have a single bad feeling. I'd just broke into the 12s like I wanted, the truck wasn't hurt, and I have this killer story! Turns out the Duramax was sandbagging to run multiple indexes... he also ran 12.0 and was very near the number as well... but I beat his ass! 😆:cool: This brings the race portion of my story to an end, but not the story overall. I'm still waiting to see pics from the cruise as they get posted, but did find these 2 and LOVE them!

KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (1).jpg
KOTOR TX Motorplex 2023 - Imgur (2).jpg

Last part of the story includes the 700+ mile drive home and sights along the way.

Final story time... 11/19/2023 Forecast called for rain later in the day, but the morning was sunny and I knew I'd be driving away from the weather all day. Left Ennis about 8AM and after quickly looking at the map decided I was going to avoid highways in an attempt to continue the rural small town drive ideology of the KOTOR cruise and because I wasn't in a rush knowing I had the next day off work to recover/continue driving if necessary. Off I went through East TX, North LA, South AR, central MS, and finally to my home state of Alabama. 720ish miles and 14 hours later I made it home about 10PM. In all the trip was around 1800 miles, about 90 gallons of fuel, and 1 quart of oil I added right before heading home. I'd say that's as good as I could ever ask for what I'm going to consider as my first of hopefully more to come DnD events in the future... maybe next time I can be more prepared, go rounds, and win! 😆 I'll just let pics tell the story home from here...

4 days in TX and this was the only oil rig I saw the entire time... and it was just before I got to LA in Bivins, TX

LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur (6).jpg

Shongaloo, LA... according to a sign home of country music singer Trace Adkins even though Wikipedia states Serepta, LA... they are 10 miles apart though so who knows?!?
LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur (5).jpg

Haynesville, LA
LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur (4).jpg

Hamburg, AR... which is home to Chicago Bulls Scotty Pipen. You can see him just above the cab of my truck.
LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur (3).jpg

MS River bridge entering Greenville, MS
LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur (2).jpg

Greenville, MS visitors center is a paddleboat.
LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur (1).jpg
LMRKOTOR 2023 drive home - Imgur.jpg

I missed a pic into AL because it was dark by then I was freaked out by seeing 2 deer by the side of the road just waiting to jump in front of me while driving up the Natchez Trace Parkway in MS. I was also still 2 hours from home and just wanted to be there!

For everyone that's made it this far, thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed my long-winded story of triumph/defeat at my own hands. :ROFLMAO: I'm already trying to figure out the shift issue in preparation for attending another DnD event in the future. If you've watched any of the footage online or attended an event yourself it truly is the most fun form of drag racing I've done. Everyone is so friendly and inviting, families are doing it together, you get to see America, as well as race your junk along side with like-minded folks. If you've ever thought about it... DO IT!!! We only get 1 chance at life so live it!

That’s a really good post! I wish I knew about the KOTOR event, that is awesome you discovered it that way. I was bummed out about the LMR track night cancellation too. And you got that VIP pass. I ended up just outside the garage behind you.

I saw at least 5 trucks with NLOC stickers.

Just really impressed with the whole thing for you! Way to maximize the experience!

Makes me really miss the early 2000s and LightningFest, WFC, etc.

What a great trip and experience for you. Nice to see an old truck getting some extra attention. I follow Jared online and he certainly has a "thing" for the 90s vehicles. I believe he has a Gen 2 as well.

What a great trip and experience for you. Nice to see an old truck getting some extra attention. I follow Jared online and he certainly has a "thing" for the 90s vehicles. I believe he has a Gen 2 as well.

Yes he said himself he loves 90s stuff… he gushed over my truck for awhile. Really cool dude and family man that was putting on a great event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back