LightningFest 5 September 2007 questions

This was my first year attending Lightningfest and I now wish I would have been able to attend previous years. I would have to agree with those that suggest that the truck show be moved away from the track. Keep the Friday and Saturday race days and then have the truck show on Sunday (maybe a cruise-in at Hooters, etc).

Ready to make plans to attend Lightningfest 5 next year (to defend my True Street title!:rofl: )
-James

BigD said:
These are questions Nan and I need to decide within the next 2 weeks:

1. Should we have LightningFest 5? Yes
  2. Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?2 track days, Show Sunday at Hooters
  3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).Friday Saturday
  4. Should we drop the Truck Show?Hooters- Sunday
  5. Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?Suprised to see so few this year
  6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro)abducted by aliens. We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.Pay some up front money
  7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).I haven't bought anything, but like to look
  8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?The money is gone in a few seconds, but the trophy is nice

Let me clear a misconception about vendor space at LightningFest. ALL SV's on both the NLOC and NHTOC websites, get FREE vendor space at the event. Only non-SV's pay for space at the event.

I like the 3-day event. Makes Sunday a nice relaxing day before leaving to come home. I would keep that intact. I can see moving the truck show off site, maybe that would even help cut costs? (I don't know). The pancake breakfast sounds pretty good!

I am there to race and have fun so the payouts are not a big deal to me, but it is nice to know if I win I might get some money and a trophey.

If its possible lock the vendors in, then at least you get the money they said they would commit. Moving it is not a big deal to me, but it might help? (not the location the dates)

All in all it was a good time. I missed Friday so it was nice to still have a class I can run in on Saturday.

I will plan to attend next year ;)

If they won't prep the track on Sunday then no reason to rent it in my opinion. I even went and talked to the guy in the lanes and he said they wouldn't allow him to spray. I asked him to hit the starting line for me and he said he would and then didn't.

So, I'm not interested in the Sunday racing and see no reason to pay them to have it open under those circumstances. I say off-site is fine. Use the hotel parking lot, even.

Like a couple other people, this was my first L-Fest and loved it. It would a shame if it was the last one. This and WFC are what the wife and I plan for vacation time. Heck after L-Fest she was finally convinced to trade in her Mach1 and get a Lightning soon. I like the 2 days of racing and Sunday show at Hooters idea. Make the sponsors pay up front like we do.

Keep L-Fest alive, it's the best racing event I've been to.

Chris

I have been to all the LFest's, and will continue to attend, come what may.

To me, each one has gotten better. I am beginning to think it is because the same people seem to attend each one, and those that show up every year are beginning to be more comfortable with each other. Not saying that if this was your first LFest that you were not welcome, but those that have made every one know what I am talking about. I recognize faces very well (but I am horrible with names), and I am starting to get to know some people really well. I had a blast!

In answer to your questions Dwight:

Should we have LightningFest 5? Yes

Should the event be 2 days instead of 3? this really does not matter to me, I will be there either way. I am ok with just one track day, and my dirty arse truck does not fit into any show catagories

If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day). If racing only, Friday and Saturday

Should we drop the Truck Show? That is the only reason some come, so no I dont think you should drop it

Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class? No. Fords only.

What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro)abducted by aliens. We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor. Like Frank said, make them pay up front...

Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning). What does it hurt? Just say that there MAY be a Vendors Midway, and see who shows up...

Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers? I never win either anyway, but whatever keeps it in the black

Steamboat.

I have been to the last three and have had a blast every year. It's nice meeting people to put a face with a board name. I look foward to this event every year and hope it continues.

[*]Should we have LightningFest 5?

YES,YES,YES,YES

[*]Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?

2 or 3 days dont bother me

[*]If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).

Friday and Saturday

[*]Should we drop the Truck Show?

No cause a lot of people put a lot of time into there trucks for the show
but like a few others said maybe the hotel parking lot or HOOTERS

[*]Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the
class?

No. Ford only

[*]What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.

Make them pay up front like everyone else has to. If they agree to sponsor a class then you need the money up front so even if they don't show we still have a sponsor for that class.

[*]Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).

Put vendors may show up.

[*]Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?

I think it might drop some, but who knows.
I like knowing i have a chance to win a little extra cash it helps with gas on the way home, but a trophy is nice too.

Jeff

If I had been there they would have sprayed the track Sunday. Did anyone let Nan know that the track was not prepped?

BigD said:
These are questions Nan and I need to decide within the next 2 weeks:

1. Should we have LightningFest 5?
    YES. It is nice being the FOCUS of an event instead of an afterthought (ie: WFC) which was part of the reason L'Fest was started.
  2. Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?
    No. Three is better. However, having the show offsite (ie: Hooters) would be nice. Especially if they don't prep the track on Sunday. Maybe hook up with a local Lions Club, Kiwani's, Rotary, etc. and see if they are having a pancake and sausage breakfast/cookout/BBQ/chili we can work out an arrangement to share space.
  3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).
    Friday during the day, Saturday day/night.
  4. Should we drop the Truck Show?
    No, offsite (close to the hotel preferrably) with it open to all vehicles show-n-shine while still having Lightning specific classes. Hey it is OUR show.
  5. Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?
    Keep the class but limit it to Ford only.
  6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.
    Pay upfront, in full, PERIOD.
  7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).
    Please continue to have a midway. It is always good to have a one on one with a SV. obtw, Stan (RUSlow) was there also. ;)
  8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?
    Trophies good, payouts nice, but not required.

We have considered dropping the event because of waning interest, but since we did not lose money this year, we may try one more event. NOTE: We would NOT move the event from KCIR!

Good the event didn't lose money and GOOD it is staying central. I'm about sick and tired of all the "move it closer to meeeeee :cr: B.S." The desire to want to attend/participate is appreciated yet either make the commitment to go or stay home. Pleasing everyone isn't going to happen and your contination of the event is GREATLY appreciated.

We will ONLY consider comments and suggestions from those that have made the effort and attended a previous LightningFest.

I've been to three of the four, will attend again, and appreciate the inclusion of the Harley trucks!

Respectfully,

Bob

I've been to all four and think this past one was the best. I'm still amazed at the low turn out of the event. I'm also tired of all the **** pour excuses people give for not coming and supporting the club. You can't put a price on what this club has given me (knowledge) or friendships made.

1. Should we have LightningFest 5? Yes
2. Should the event be 2 days instead of 3? No keep it 3
3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).- if 2 day Friday and Saturday
4. Should we drop the Truck Show?-No people work to hard to be excluded if show is your thing
5. Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?-No Ford only
6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor. Collect up front
7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning). Although I’m out of ‘extra’ cash by the time I get there it would be nice to see those that we buy products from supporting the event visually. My wife wanted to surprise me and purchase some mods but no one was there.
8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers? I think the trophies are nice but the cash helps a little to offset some of the costs of coming to the event. Either way I think the bragging rights are what count.

We had no truck there but...

1. Should we have LightningFest 5? Yes!!
2. Should the event be 2 days instead of 3? NO 3!
3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).- if 2 days i will look for the trucks also the 3rd day!
4. Should we drop the Truck Show? No, thats a part of the heart.
5. Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?- FORD
6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor. Start a competition for NLOC members - all should try to help to find the sponsors
7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).
I was looking for some parts, also went to Carriage Works on monday and bought an upper and lower grille
8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers? A trophy is a memory money can´t buy....

Should we have LightningFest 5? - YES

Should the event be 2 days instead of 3? - Even though the past 2 years I've bugged out early on Sunday due to the 12+ hour drive I have, and the fact that I have to work on Monday, I hope the Sunday part continues one way or another. Next year I plan on hanging around for the activities on the last day,...... this time around.

If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day). - Friday & Saturday is fine,.....if it ends up only being two

Should we drop the Truck Show? - No,....I'd keep it.

Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class? - I would make it to where at least the motor or truck was a Ford, but not necessarily both. The reason I say this due to popularity of engine swaps (aka Cummins) in the sport of diesel drag racing.

What should we do about class sponsorship - Make them pay up front before anything is said or printed on their behalf,....

Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway - Of course

Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers? - No,.... If you want the Big-Dogs to come out and play, you're going to have to pay. I'm not speaking for myself, but I do know that it takes lot just to make the trip,.... and with the chances of breaking increasing every year as guys continue to raise the bar, you take the $$ out, and they may not show. I know it's not a lot, but every little bit helps.

I know no one (the powers that be anyway) want to even talk about moving it even a little closer east, but if the track rental can be had for close to same amount of cash, it might be worth considering. There are a lot of fast trucks on the east coast, and if you were to move it just a little closer (say Beach Bend, perhaps), the trip from the south wouldn't be that much longer for them and it may attract more participants (not just spectators). Either way, it doesn't matter to me, as I'll be there regardless.
Let's face it, we did have several people attend from the west coast, but those guys like Scott, Jean, Mike J and several, several others are HARD CORE and I think they would make the trip even if it was held in New Jersey, so that part of the US is "somewhat" insignificant (no offense, I promise).

So, please consider it, before you AXE L-Fest all together.

FWIW,......I'm one of the ones that remember how L-Fest started when we tossed the idea around at WFC5 when the Lightning guys were treated like second class racers, compared to the Mustang crowd. I would really hate for the event to end because of the lack of thought and the most important part,...PARTICIPATING at L-Fest. Spectators are good, but lets face it guys, the drag racers are what it needs to keep it going.

I've attended the last two events, and paid to race in three (2nd one I had issues and could not attend) and plan on attending the future events as I had an absolute blast this year (even though I was only able to make one pass in my race-truck due to tranny problems).

99WhiteBeast said:
I've been to all four and think this past one was the best. I'm still amazed at the low turn out of the event. I'm also tired of all the **** pour excuses people give for not coming and supporting the club.

You got that right!! We even have club members in the KC area who don't bother to attend the biggest and best Lightning meet in the country, while at the same time we have members from both coasts who travel 1000 miles to participate. I just don't understand?

Ok, rant over.

Should we have L-fest5----Yep
Three days, Fri & Sat if 2
Take the show to Hooters, open it to all Fords, get in touch with a Ford club in the KC area.
Ford only for the diesels.
Sponsors pay up front.
Have vendors-----I had some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket but couldn't spend it.
Trophys for the t/s and s/l. Payout for the pros. They (pro L class) By far spends the most to biuld, get there, and are the best to watch. I'm not sayin the s/l are boring, but 10 sec passes are pretty neat.
Could also talk with the people at WFC for advertisement.
The magazine coverage is the begining to a great event. This was my first L-fest, I didnt have my L(sloppy a22 E4OD) But I had a good time. And if their is a L-fest 5 I will be their. I also liked the idea about getting any thing SVT.
As for moving it??? I know its in the center of the USA, But before canceling it, might give that a thought. I would hate to see the event scraped. Well thats my .02, but who the he!! am I?

Last edited:
Time for that book...

Yes there should be a L Fest 5 (2007). It would be the 5th one, and the 5th event of anything is somewhat significant. There is a TON of time and effort put into an event of this type. Planning starts nearly a year ahead of time as evidenced by BigDs comment that the decision needs to be made in the next two weeks. All of us that go, enjoy ourselves tremendously at the event but most all don't participate in the planning and execution of the event. I would suspect MKLO has the most participation in the planning and execution outside of Dwight and Nan. It's a LOT of work with the hope of at least breaking even financially on the event. This is, however, the ONLY Lightning only event in the nation I'm aware of and being it is organized by NLOC it's the only national Lightning only event. Others have tried a "regional" event and have failed. It takes way more effort to nail down all the little details, let alone the big details of an event than most know. Since BigD said moving the location is NOT an option I'm guessing there is an agreement with the track for a number of years. I'm good with the location but we both would probably travel further east if need be. We DON'T want to however. I hear the east coasters repeatedly claim there would be a bigger turnout if moved further east and that may be true but I suspect there would be a myriad of excuses as time grew near changing the "higher" truck count to a lower number. Seems the truck count is right around 150 for the last 3 years I've attended and I have no answer how to make that number grow. As I've stated many times before, "If it's important enough to be there, you'll be there. Otherwise you won't." As Jeff Sparkman has said before, "it's better to be at L Fest without your truck than not to be there at all." "Course havin' your truck there makes it even more enjoyable.

The event should remain at 3 days. The first day is for practice for those from out of the area to run on the track. True Street has run in the past on Friday with time for all to "practice" and then 1st round qualifying in the afternoon. The only thing I dislike is having the track open to their regular Friday night TNT. The Harley bikes probably didn't like us there and I know there are some that didn't like the bikes there. They were repeatedly cutting through Lightning pit areas with their bikes and weaving in and out of Lightnings in the staging lanes. Just one mistake and there would have been a whole bunch of angry bike owners and Lightning owners...Don't know if it's possible, but would suggest the track rental all of Friday and Saturday and nothing at all for Sunday. Sunday could be used for the truck show, or rather the truck display. All that enter get a plaque commemorating L Fest 5 trucks on display. No trophies for 1st, 2nd , 3rd or numerous classes, just a display of Lightnings and HDs. Without having the track on Sunday it becomes necessary to have a different location. Some have suggested the motel parking lot, some the nearby Hooters. The concerns here are the cost of plaques and a suitable location to park a larger contingent of Lightnings. Another thought is to reverse the process and have the truck show/display on Friday and the racing on Saturday and Sunday. The truck show/display is taken care of and the rest of the weekend devoted to racing. That may not agree with the Pro racers who are all towing thier trucks in tho.

The above answers the question of the truck show. A change to display and more will be there, perhaps even some of the Pro racers. Get the trucks parked as race trucks, Gen1s, Gen 2s, and HDs. Not to segregate the trucks but rather to have all examples of each generation of truck together for comparison by participants and spectators. It could be another chance for members to meet members in a slightly different atmosphere. Then comes the problem of who displays ? Registered participants only or all Lightnings that come out that day ? I'd say all Lightnings that show up but only registered participants receive a plaque.

The diesel class is a kind of a courtesy to some of the towpigs for the Lightnings and to some that also own a diesel Ford. If the class is kept it should be Ford only. This is a Lightning event and I don't think it should stray to far from that.

Class sponsorship will become tougher each year. The Lightnings are out of production and the HDs have taken on a different focus from Ford. This remains a "smaller" event in the scheme of events and convincing a sponsor that their money is well spent will continually get harder. A sponsor wants to be able to "see" return on investment. Since both generations of Lightnings are out of production and the performance HDs are as well, the sales of aftermarket parts should slow down until the eventually the parts will be discontinued. Looking in other areas may become necessary. Say, "The Pepsi True Street Challenge" or the "Coors Silver Bullet Pro Truck" class. Perhaps the "Mequiars Pro Street Lightning" class. I"ll REALLY stretch it with this one, "The Otis Rise to the Top Street Lightning" class. The thought is to look in other areas for sponsorship of classes of drag racing and truck display from companys that could see a benefit from sponsoring a class. Not to take ANYTHING away from JLP or LFP who have been staunch supporters of Lightning Fest as I look first to those who support L Fest. Support those who support us, all else being equal, can be a win/win situation.

A vendors midway should be continued. Those manufacturers and retailers that do show up help the people attending. The problem for the vendors is the time and costs of being at L Fest. They have to weigh those two items in their own mind. While sales may be limited, exposure and customer service rank high for the consumer.

If at all possible maintain the payouts. Again, this is dependent on sponsorship of the classes. L Fest has to at least break even otherwise it makes no sense to even have one. I don't know how much of an enticement it is for the Pro racers to come to L Fest but I suspect their may be a little less interest if there are no payouts. If the Pro class maintains payouts then the other three classes should too. To me, it should be all or none for payouts.

With the anticipated coverage by Ford Truck Performance magazine, that could be a catalyst for increased participation in 2007. Visibility is one of the keys to growth of an event. If the magazine sends a person for coverage next year it would validate L Fest as a significant Ford truck event.

There's my .02 on the questions put forth. If just one of my thoughts have any merit then it was more than worth the time to type it out.

Scott

FYI, we had only 125 people who checked in at the event (not including support personnel and spectators, of course). There were also about 7 who paid and could not attend. This is a down from previous years, but the ones that came REALLY supported the event, and we appreciate that more than we can say. Thanks everyone!!!

Back