KCIR.. Sold

Acknowledging the heightened noise level that exciting sporting events bring to the neighborhood, Jabez has ultimate plans to relocate the track. “We recognize that this area is being developed in such a way that is not compatible with the long-term viability of a dragstrip, so it is our plan to move it within five years and turn the land into a recreational facility,” said Uhlmann. Until the track moves, neighbors can enjoy upgrades that will transform KCIR into a place where families can gather and enjoy the facility.

I wonder were they will move the track? This kind of sucks.

I have heard several times up by the airport, but over the years alot of rumors have been floating around. So that does not really mean anything either.

But with as big as KC is this town needs to have a track. They think that they have a street racing problem now, what tell all the race cars hit the streets.

http://www.kcir.net/

Kansas City, MO
KANSAS CITY, MO-Jabez Territories LLC

in the comming year 2009,,

Kansas City, MO
KANSAS CITY, MO-Jabez Territories LLC has proposed a plan to remove seven million tons of rock from a vacant, 141-acre site along Missouri Highway 350, in the Blue Valley area between Raytown and Lee’s Summit, and build about 290,000 sf of offices and retail, as well as 231 single-family homes on the property. The company is now in talks with the city to rezone the land, and gain almost $9 million incentives to help put in infrastructure and gain tax abatements for the $110-million development.
The developer has a plan to sell the rock to help pay for its removal, says Pete Vegelahn, COO of Jabez. “There’s this large knob of rock that we’re going to take out, and sell as aggregate, and then we’ll have a developable piece of property,” he tells GlobeSt.com. “It’ll cost us about the same, the profit margin is not tremendous. It’s basically a break-even. But we think this will work, and we plan to take this to other areas as a prototype.” Jabez is actually made up of four companies that will do all the work, including construction manager Vegelahn Construction LLC, excavating and utility contractor Team Excavating, Kenny Mack Trucking and rock seller Hillside Materials LLC.

Single-family homes will dot the property, mostly cottage and bungalow types, Vegelahn says. The commercial portion of the development will include 184,600 sf of retail which includes a 50,000-sf market, along with 13 pad sites. Also on the site will be a three-story, 39,000-sf office building. He says though the property is now vacant, there is demand. “You can get from here to Downtown Kansas City in about 18 minutes, as opposed to the 40 minutes it would take from the far west residential area of Lee’s Summit,” Vegelahn says. “It’s busy there, you get about 45,000 cars a day going by.”

Just my thoughts guys, and they're not good. Reading the link in the first post reads to me as double-speak for we're buying the property to develop into much more money making land and gettin' rid of the dragstrip. We'll tell people we're gonna improve the facility for awhile then move it somewhere else.

OK, why would a "developer" improve the site when intentions are to "relocate" it in a year or so ? Price of property these days, who would buy land for a drag strip ?

Having watched southern California lose ALL it's racing facilites over the last 30 years to development and knowing how hard it's been up here in western Washington just to keep the 2 drag strips we have and losing 2 others decades ago I get a STRONG hunch that track has just had it's death bell rung......

Sure doesn't sound good for KCIR inspite of what the article reads.....

Scott

I hope you guys get to keep your dragstrip. We dont have one in or around Little Rock, and its sad. We have to drive to Memphis, Louisiana, Texas, etc etc, for a full 1/4 track. The only tracks we have are 1/8 and 1000ft.

Everytime a track is brought up, the Old timers come out of the woodwork and say that the noise is not worth it.

Rant Off

Sucks but surely they will keep something for you guys.

They make it sound awfully good. I just hope they're not blowing smoke.
2 other dragstrips are supposed to be in the works. One just north of Columbia and the other in the Wheatland area. We'll see.

This could be either a great thing or a horrible thing with not much in between. Our track in Tulsa was bought a few years ago by a business man and the track has grown and done great things since even though we all questioned the future at the time. The only draw back is that the owner is a business man and not a racer, so many decisions are in the favor of business and not racing. He's in it for the money, so I guess that's his choice. The track is also so crowded now that I don't go. It just isn't worth it to me.

As for those people who are worried about the noise, screw 'em. The track was there when they moved in. If they didn't do their research before spending their money that's their problem. This has been an ongoing battle for airports across the country as well. Society is paying for their own stupidity all around.

We'll see what happens I guess. At least HPT isn't too far away for most of us in the greater KC area, and there's always MAM up by Homoha, lol.

IMHO Todd Bridges didn't do much for MMP. Test N Tune nights were like ice rinks. They got a new GM Rich something from Bradenton and he did GREAT things for the track and he left about a month ago to go to a track in GA (not really sure)

If Bridges is who I'm thinking of its probably a ploy to run the racers off so that its easier to subdivide the property.

Really sucks, the Harmon's seemed like good folk.

Lightning Fest will still be here in Aug. The contract is done it would be real stupid for them to try to break all the contracts already signed.

I'm already not liking the new owners after running this past Sunday. Now I have to get a roll bar :ashamed:

Here the pic they made for me (dont mind the drawn on Honda emblem)....
IMG_9071.jpg

Last edited:
Back