Just saw a red gen 1!

Soul Rebel

As the title states, as I got on the freeway going back home I saw a red gen 1. I ususally wouldn't post and make a big deal about this, but I never see red! I believe his was a 93 (Lightning decal on the tailgate) and from what I could tell he was an enthusiast as well, as I saw that he had a borla exhaust (squared tips) and NHRA and Ford Racing stickers on his back window. The best part was that the guy pulled up right next to me and gave me the thumbs up :bigtu: and I did the same. It's this kind of comraderie that makes me feel like a part of an exclusive club. Coincidentally, a guy from high school pulled up to me on the freeway and asked if my truck was a real Lightning:D He probably thought that mine was supercharged (thinking it was a gen 2) but it was cool to get recognition nonetheless. Oh and just in case any of you guys see him or know him, his license plate was "BLTTUF" and he was an older fair skinned guy, (I no like say haole if he's not). I was just thinking that moments like these makes me wonder why I even considered selling the L. -Josh

Josh that guy lives across the valley from me....pretty much behind my house. Yea I know my dad talked to him before and he said he has a Vortech supercharger in there as well. Yeah can tell it's his truck by his liscense plate.

I know of a guy who own's a red gen1. He lives in Waikele, close to my cousins former townhome. He's a middle-aged haole guy w/ glasses. He's always wrenching in his garage, mostly on his mustang. I believe he belongs to some of the mustang clubs here locally.

wika2 said:
I know of a guy who own's a red gen1. He lives in Waikele, close to my cousins former townhome. He's a middle-aged haole guy w/ glasses. He's always wrenching in his garage, mostly on his mustang. I believe he belongs to some of the mustang clubs here locally.
Wow, how many red gen 1's are owned by middle aged haole guys with glasses?! :D Nah j/k, we should have more guys come out though, especially since Tyler's neighbor has a blower, he can go heads up with Todd!

wika2 said:
I met this guy at a Wendy's cruise night long ago. His name is Pat IIRC. His truck has a powerdyne w/ a chip. He ran it at the track a couple of times before.

Just saw a Joe Gibbs xtracab Silverado today at Waimalu area. Didn't think those existed here in Hawaii. I wonder what one of those would run in the 1/4?

tk2 said:
Just saw a Joe Gibbs xtracab Silverado today at Waimalu area. Didn't think those existed here in Hawaii. I wonder what one of those would run in the 1/4?

Ive seen a reg cab joe gibbs at the airport area. I'd say they go high thirteens. Mid thirteens w/ a good driver and traction. Their hp/tq numbers are similar to a stock Gen 2 L. Let alone it has a standard trans instead of a auto.

I think those trucks are pretty cool, even moreso because they have a stick. I know I would love to have a stick, it would make the truck much more fun to drive, but people (especially gen2) would end up breaking them all the time. Anyway, cool sighting Todd, hope everything is going well with you and your truck.

Saw a red Gen 1 in Waipahu the other day, also see a couple of Joe Gibbs' regularly in the same area. Regular and extended cab versions. Actually, saw one for sale brand new at Waipahu Auto a year or two ago.

There's a Chevy Ext Cab runnin' at the track in the mid 13's w/ 20's or 22's" wheels & tires in the front & 28"x10"x 16" slicks in the rear.

There's a 10 second red gen1 featured in Ford Truck Performance magazine. The mag is a special edition from the MM&FF guys. This truck is sporting a 410 Dart block with a Vortech V7 S/C!

Also featured, is Vinnie's flamin' hot, JDM built gen2. His truck is also red! The article features it with a KB, but I believe he's one of the very few who's recently installed a Whipple!

I don't know if any of you seen the mag yet, but it's a keeper! Almost all the articles are for Ls. Check it out!!

Yeah I got the mag. The guy with the gen 1 is on this board as well, think his screenname is LGHTSPD, now his truck no longer has the blower...he's turbo:stirpot: All in all I thought the mag was cool, but it lacked overall size, I think it was only like a little over a hundred pages, but I still bought it anyway because of the L's.

Yup. Eventhough the mag is short it has a lot about L's so I had to buy it. If it comes out regularly I would continue to buy it.

I was just wandering how many gen 1's there are on the island? I have a 93 red in the salt lake area.

:3g:

Last edited:
Well, Todd would probably know better than me, but I'm guessing around 15-20 or so. I've actually seen quite a few myself. Tejas, what do you have done to your truck?

I havent done much to it yet, only a k&n intake, hypertech chip, and had the rims airbrushed. I do plan on more in the future like a blower etc.

What do you guys think a clean black '94 L with 94k mi would sell for here?
Mostly stock, K&N, new tires, & clean. Just curious.

Back