June 2010 Truck of the Month-Congrats to Charles "Diabolic" Kennedy ! (NLOC#2682)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

June 2010 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Charles (Diabolic) Kennedy ! (NLOC #2682)

The Lone Star State of Texas provides this month’s Truck of the Month. Hailing from Arlington the 1993 Lightning of Charles Kennedy has served as work truck and test bed for many parts and tuning to find more horsepower and torque. The Gen 1 forum readers instantly recognize the screen name of Charles for his numerous threads installing and testing parts on his truck. His test track is Texas Raceway in Kennedale, Texas, an eighth mile drag strip providing more real world documentation over the “seat of the pants feel” of speed equipment. Because of his dedication to documenting his experiences with his testing, the Gen 1 community has benefited considerably from his continually evolving knowledge. His comments on future changes to his truck lets us all know there will be plenty more threads started from Charles sharing his experiences installing and testing more “goodies” on his truck !

Read on to learn more about Charles and his Lightning then join in the congratulations to Charles Kennedy !

4655741710_e1ed7ec634_b.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I’ve always loved fox body Mustangs and have owned several. A good friend of mine owned a Red ‘93 Lightning back in the late 90’s, and I loved how quick and useful it was. I never had a back seat in any of my Mustangs so if I was going to drive a 2 seater, might as well have a bed. I own rental properties and the Lightning allows me to tow a trailer, and race on the weekends. It’s the perfect vehicle for me.

4651384050_977fff4071_b.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

Nothing that really stands out in particular, but I have had the privilege of owning many performance cars in my life. Some of my favorites have been a 1978 Pontiac Firebird with a 427 BBC, ‘89 IROC-Z 350 TPI, ‘89 Mustang LX with an ATI, Ex Hwy Patrol 1990 Mustang coupe, regular cab Dodge Dakota RT, a couple of Lightnings with various power adders, and several more I haven’t listed. With regards to the Lightning in this article, I just love to drive and race the truck! I know it isn’t the fastest, but it never leaves me stranded, A/C blows cold on a hot Texas summer day, it turns heads, and blows the tires off at will! The 4.56’s make for a ton of stoplight fun!

4650765103_d49cfc5665_b.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

I’ve added several parts to the truck since owning it. For the go it has AFR 165 heads, HO Roller Cam, Roller Rockers, Accufab 70 mm TB, Mark VIII fan, UD crank pulley, Punisher VB, 4.56 gears, MAC Longtube headers, 2.5” dual exhaust, Dynomax X Flo muffler, Innovate WB, and a Moates Quarter Horse tuner. For the “show” I have Chrome stock wheels, lowering shackles, SVT F-150 badges, and a Lund Backdraft spoiler.

4651384958_f3b9f520e8_b.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Nothing too interesting or out of the ordinary. I’m sure I got a few “WTF” looks driving down the road on the bump stops with a pallet of ceramic tile in the bed. I also get the same looks when it’s at the dump. The truck frequents the local 1/8 mile track on a regular basis.

4650765789_e99db62a4c_b.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I’m 34 years old living in Arlington Texas. I work for a commercial printer as the Account Manager. I own a small rental property business called HMK Properties that keeps me pretty busy outside of my full time job. It’s a rough business! I enjoy cars obviously, but I also like to play disk golf, foosball, kayaking, working out, and recently picked up gardening. Yep, I’m getting old.

4651385444_bf5f215cd1_b.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I’ve been on the NLOC since 2002 and a paid member for more than a year now. I know, I know, but I took a long leave of absence.

4650685299_88ac8254f8_b.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I think it’s fine just how it is.

4650766925_5c9de2690e_b.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

It’s been so long ago I don’t remember.

4651383946_902601f5c3_b.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

The truck will get a stall converter, custom camshaft, and a NOS Big Shot plate. Eventually it may get a stroker and a turbo depending on how educated I get with the Quarter Horse.

4651385128_5aebaa0f32_b.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

I would like to thank all the wonderful members of the NLOC that have answered all my questions along the way. I would like to thank Adam Marrer of Pops Racing for all the assistance with the Quarter Horse and Binary Editor setup.

4650767141_a067c9d641_b.jpg

4651384236_204935688e_b.jpg

Congratulations to Charles and his 1993 Black Ford Lightning for Truck of the Month, June 2010 !

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!:eek:ldtu: Pickinfg up a white 95 Cobra with a 331 stroker to add to the collection later today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back