Join the MS/LA/TX/OK/MO/AR convoy up I35!

NLOC

BBM
I Support the NLOC
Join the MS/LA/TX/OK/MO/AR "Drive up I35"!

Tom's (tliss) list of people traveling in the group and arrival times at various meeting points, for the convoy to Topeka, going North on I35:

All right…here are the details for the main convoy… I can be reached at (972)977-9248 if you need anything on the day of the convoy, or tliss@comcast.net

BREAKFAST: There is no one place for everyone to meet up for breakfast. Eat whereever your little heart desires

MEETING PLACELove’s Truck Stop – 8900 I-35, Exit 473 – this truck stop is north of Denton near Denton Dragway. It is on the northbound side of the highway...you can't miss it.

Here is a map of the vacinity

26untitled1.jpg

DEPARTURE TIME: We will leave promptly at 9:30am. Be at the Love’s Truck Stop fueled and ready to go about 10 minutes before this time. We have a schedule to try to meet, so we will not be able to wait around after this time.

RADIOS: Bring your 2-way radios so we can be in communications during the trip. This is how we will be able to coordinate gas stops and whatnot. Please try to get a set of FRS radios for the convoy so that you can keep in touch with everyone else. This is how we coordinate gas stops and everything amongst ourselves. Make sure you get radios with channels and subchannels, as we will be using channel 5, subchannel 4 on this trip. Think of those Motorola Talkabout radios, and this is what I am referring to:

t5420.jpg

PARTICPANTS:
tliss - DFW
Vipereater - Wichita
Fuzion - DFW
ND4SPD - Abilene
Merlin - Oklahoma City
~nightcrawler~ - Waco/Temple
Sixpipes - DFW
Flats Man - Tampa, FL
03LightningRocks - DFW
L8 APEX - DFW
1BAD4D - El Paso
Crawford - DFW
Silver_2000 - DFW
byrd35us - Lake Charles
Razor - DFW
TrueBlueAggie - DFW
Aggie Mom - DFW-ish
Band - DFW
FoMoCo2002 - Wichita
r1eater - San Antonio
Mark #2 - DFW
98Cobra - DFW
TP Derrick D- DFW
Big K - DFW (North Texas Power Stroke Association)
sonicbluetommy - DFW
Sid - DFW (North Texas Power Stroke Association)
Blue Oval Forever - Gretna, LA
black99light - Laplace, LA
SVTF150Lghtn - OK (tentative)
Ryan - OKC
Buddy - OKC
forcefedcobra - Enid, OK (Focus)
gunman + others - Austin
33 trucks + 1 Focus in convoy #1! - Actually lost count now!!

Convoy #2 - Departure Time - TBD....Meeting Place - TBD
jcblack - DFW
99WhiteBeast - DFW
Alpine - DFW
02BOLT - DFW
Stormshadow - DFW
Leaving from the Waffle House at I35W and Western Center in Fort Worth (3020 Western Center Boulevard) @11am sharp

RALLY POINT OUTSIDE OF TOPEKA: Emporia - MP 132 (last one before Topeka)
The Emporia Service Area offers a Phillips 66 and McDonald's. It has a children's play area and adult exercise area outside to allow travelers a chance to stretch. This is the last point where we can stop before Topeka, so we will rally here and head into Topeka thereafter. My best guess is we will leave this rally point at 4:30 or so.

OTHER NOTES: With a convoy of this size and this well advertised, we will have to keep things civil along the way. Keep this in mind while we are driving. Gas stops will be coordinated via radio, since the majority of us will need to stop at roughly the same intervals. Others may need to stop more frequently, so the thought is to let them stop and keep the convoy moving. They can try to catch up or meet at the rally point listed above. We can change this as necessary.

TRUCKS JOINING THE CONVOY ALONG THE WAYThose of you that are going to meet up with the convoy along the way (OKC, Wichita, etc), please provide contact info so I can provide updates as to when we ill be passing you. Please be sure to be waiting on or near the highway...we are not going to stop, you're just going to have to be ready for us to come through, but I want to give you the best info I can to get you into the convoy. I can be reached at tliss@comcast.net. Please e-mail me with questions.

TIMING MILESTONES: Here is an estimate of when we will be coming through various milestones

9:30am - departure from Love's Truck Stop
9:50-10:00am - Red River (Texas/Oklahoma border) - ~32 miles
10:15-10:30am - Ardmore, OK - ~33 miles
11:30-11:45am - Norman, OK - ~82 miles
11:45-12:00pm - Oklahoma City, OK - ~20 miles
1:30-2:00pm - Kansas/Oklahoma border - ~114 miles
2:15-2:30pm - Wichita, KS - ~55 miles
3:15-3:30pm - Emporia, KS - ~90 miles
4:00-4:30pm - Topeka, KS (rally point) - ~58 miles

We are committed to arriving at the Holiday Inn around 5:30pm to be filmed by local media coming in. This schedule is an estimate and should leave us plenty of slack time to meet this commitment.

More details to follow....

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, thats a big area to cover. Last year the Dallas guys took I35 all the way up. I am 135 miles East of Dallas and I took Indian Nation Turnpike up to Hwy. 75 and ran in all the way up.
I am sure that it would be easiest if anyone in my area (Longview TX, Texarkana, Shreveport areas) would possibly go the route I went.

It was 475 miles from my place (Daingerfield, TX) to the track. Took me about 8 hours.

There will be quite a few of the guys from DFW coming up, and like last year, we will be going in a group. Not sure of the timing yet, but there will be a group coming from Dallas. Most likely going the Thursday morning and heading straight up I35.

Tom

tliss said:
There will be quite a few of the guys from DFW coming up, and like last year, we will be going in a group. Not sure of the timing yet, but there will be a group coming from Dallas. Most likely going the Thursday morning and heading straight up I35.

Tom
Also check out the Talon forum http://www.talonclub.com

here are a few pics form last years convoy

1P9259321.jpg

1P9259327.jpg

1P9259345rest-stop.jpg

Last edited:
Last year we had 11 of us in the main convoy (Thursday) from DFW and picked up one along the way in Oklahoma. I think there were 4-5 in the Friday convoy. Hopefully we'll have a lot more coming up from here. I tried to get something going with the guys from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and the neighboring states (LA, AR, OK), but not much came of it. Hopefully this year we'll be able to get some additional participation! I'll try to work some magic this year and see what unfolds.

Tom

If ya'll dont mind a Harley tagging along i'd be glad to convoy up. If my 'rents are cool with it too.

when is this suposed to happen, I'm in Abilene TX and would love to join in. Maybe I could meet with a DFW group.

ND4SPD said:
when is this suposed to happen, I'm in Abilene TX and would love to join in. Maybe I could meet with a DFW group.

As of right now we have 14 trucks heading up from DFW with the possibility of picking up a couple along the way. The main convoy will leave on the morning of Thursday, Sept. 23 (last year I think we left at about 10am or so from Denton), and we will possibly have a second convoy going up Friday. You are welcome to tag along. We are hoping to pull a few more guys in from the surrounding areas as well.

More detailed plans to follow.

Tom

Fuzion said:
If ya'll dont mind a Harley tagging along i'd be glad to convoy up. If my 'rents are cool with it too.

This is a Lightning and Harley shindig, so we have no problem having you joining in the mix! The more the merrier!

Tom

Vipereater said:
I'll try to pick you guys up at Wichita.

Keep me advised on the travel plans and the Wichita ETA.

Kevin

We'll keep the info in this thread up to date. If we leave like we did last year (10am from Denton) we should pass through Wichita between 1 and 3.

Dwight, when we start getting details finalized I'll ask you to modify the first post to include the intinerary for ease of viewing. I know I wouldn't want to page through 5 pages of posts to get the details...they should be on top! Or, if you would like to delegate, you can give me the NLOC God priviledges in this forum and I'll do it!

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for the offer Tom,

You have been added to the moderators for this section. Just remember NOT to delete the first post in a thread, as it will delete the whole thread and all posts. You are able to edit any post, so you can change my starter post and modify it any way you wish.

Again, thanks for the help.:tu:

...Dwight...

BigD said:
Thanks for the offer Tom,

You have been added to the moderators for this section. Just remember NOT to delete the first post in a thread, as it will delete the whole thread and all posts. You are able to edit any post, so you can change my starter post and modify it any way you wish.

Again, thanks for the help.:tu:

...Dwight...

Thanks Dwight! I'll keep this thing updated with the info I get.

Tom

tliss said:
If we leave like we did last year (10am from Denton) we should pass through Wichita between 1 and 3. Thanks, Tom

Tom, I now have at least one more L that will be in the Wichita group. Maybe two. That time frame works great for me. As time draws closer we'll setup a meet place somewhere along I-35. Possibly at the El Dorado interchange just north of Wichita.

I hope my truck is running by then. ;g The motor is currently out of it.

Kevin

merlin said:
If you're going up I35 I'd like to join up in Oklahoma City area...

Merlin

I'm going to keep the info in this thread up to date as we get closer, so keep checking back. We'd love to have you join us!

Tom

Theres 7 of us from Arkansas so far, if anyone will be in that general area, Im sure we would tag along. :tu:

Back