Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box

Slow96

Has anyone tried this? My buddy is running a steering box out of a 98 jeep cherokee in his chevelle and it turns MUCH tighter. Along with some other mods, his chevelle turns tighter than his stock civic hatchback, not bad eh? I think I am going to go junkyard shopping and try it out. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Nope, not yet!

I was just seeing if anyone else had done this, it's going to be a while yet before I am ready to do it! But I do plan on it.

Last edited:
Cherokee Steering box

FYI, in case someone searches on this - the steering box will not work without extensive modification - meaning moving the location about a 9/10" forward of stk location (which will be into rad. support area). Due to how the pitman arm is designed to be attached to the box itself. An F-150 has a pitman arm pointing forward when the box is bolted to the frame in stk location. The "cherokee" or saginaw box mounted in the same position and the pitman arm pointing forward will turn the actual wheels opposite of the steering wheel rotation - I tried the same swap myself. If you don't believe me I have a new 14-1 box I will sell you! Been there/done that with the different box.
Best thing to do is get a Redhead Steering rebuilt/remanufactured lightning steering box and do research on how to upgrade to a saginaw power steering pump from an E-150, regulate/adjust the assist to make the "steering feel" better. Upgrade steering shaft as well to Borgenson.

Last edited:
Back