JBA long tube headers.

shaunditty

Shaunditty
I decided to pull the trigger on some headers. I chose JBA 1 5/8 stainless long tubes. My truck has a 100% stock motor. Yes it has a Supercharger but it spends most of its time cruising with a few full throttle blasts here and there. I really didn’t think I needed 1 3/4” headers, nor did I want to spend $1200 or I would have gone for the Kooks. The JBA isn’t a cheap header at all in my opinion. But Hooker, Hedman etc didn’t offer a 1 5/8 primary long tube header. I’ll have the JBA’s tomorrow and hope to start removing my old stuff soon. I bought some ARP bolts and Remflex gaskets. I haven’t completely made up my mind but I am probably going to buy a universal 2.5” Mandrel bent exhaust kit and a couple mufflers and make my own exhaust. I was wondering what other guys have done with longbtubes? I still have my front tank at the moment. I can remove it but I kinda wanna keep it for now. I would like 2.5” duals with a H or X pipe in it a couple mufflers, like a DynoMax or a couple Thrush mufflers, then run the pipes out, over the axle and out of the stock location. As long as the old header bolts come out ok it should be a fun project. I’ll post up pics as I go.

Mix some acetone with some ATF and squirt all on those bolts. Few times a day for a week. And get a map gas torch. Will help tremendously if they are froze up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Mix some acetone with some ATF and squirt all on those bolts. Few times a day for a week. And get a map gas torch. Will help tremendously if they are froze up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Really glad I can just use a wrench or socket on my truck LOL

Not sure if it’s an issue on stock heads but I prefer studs over bolts because of the lack of depth on aftermarket heads.

You have to find the perfect length of threads with bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it’s an issue on stock heads but I prefer studs over bolts because of the lack of depth on aftermarket heads.

Embarrassingly, this is something I didn't even consider when changing to the thicker Remflex gaskets. So far it hasn't proven to be an issue, and I don't run a lot of torque because I use locking bolts, but I can see how it potentially could be an issue.

Are the Mac 1 3/4 longtubes for a 302/aod fox no longer available?
I hadn’t checked in a while but last time I did no. I’m no header or engine expert. But looking at horsepower charts from several sources it seems to me that for my horsepower level 1 3/4” headers aren’t necessary. I don’t make much power.

I ended up getting 2 sets of bolts. The first ones I got I could tell were gonna be too short.

I hadn’t checked in a while but last time I did no. I’m no header or engine expert. But looking at horsepower charts from several sources it seems to me that for my horsepower level 1 3/4” headers aren’t necessary. I don’t make much power.

I think it’s more of a future proofing thing by going with the 1-3/4” long tubes.

If you really don’t think that’s necessary why not just go with a Shorty header?

I think it’s more of a future proofing thing by going with the 1-3/4” long tubes.

If you really don’t think that’s necessary why not just go with a Shorty header?
I considered getting the Bassani and or the BBK shorties. I like the long tubes. I figure it’ll help higher rpm power too. I don’t think the truck is hurting for low end torque. I hope I don’t regret going with JBA.

672f96e5029613332375b1bc3558082d.jpg

where did you buy these?

Summit racing. I was watching their inventory and when they only had one set left I bought them. They had the same header but in a coated version I opted for these raw stainless ones though because of cost mainly.

Idk the real world needs of motors but imo a 302 should have 1 5/8 minimum and a 351w especially with a blower should have 1 3/4. The difference may be slight or none at all but that’s the standard I go by. But they do look nice and hopefully fit well

Idk the real world needs of motors but imo a 302 should have 1 5/8 minimum and a 351w especially with a blower should have 1 3/4. The difference may be slight or none at all but that’s the standard I go by. But they do look nice and hopefully fit well

They’ll definitely be better than my stockers. Since a lot of guys have ran fast on Bassani 1 5/8” shorty headers I felt like the 1 5/8” long tube would even be better.

Nicee! I see alot of shortys around here, never long tubes. Ha will be gifting myself these this Christmas!

I removed the old header back exhaust. It served me well. I’m not sure if it’s worth selling or not. I imagine shipping would be awkward and expensive.
0f3a687c65f3e11c22226786d4d5b591.jpg

Back