It's the beaters you have to watch for

B

Brian Baskin

Races are hard to come by here, not sure why. This was probably the best (closest) I've had. I was sitting at a light, on a 2 lane 50mph highway, and saw this old, beatup pickup pull up to the left. Looked like a late 60s, front chrome bumper, round lights, but they were all broken, bumper bent in 4 places, fender stretched out, roof all rusted up. It pulled up next to me, and eventhough it had a nice rumble, I just shrugged it off. Until the light went green and he stomped it. I stomped immediately, surprised, and stayed right beside him (him already 4' ahead), until I shut down at 60, and he was a fender ahead. (He kept going
smile.gif
And he was chirping 2nd and 3rd)
At the next light, I see he has a chrome dual exhaust out the back (underneath the 7 shades of rust bed), and the owner, in the passenger seat, is letting his buddy drive it. A 'slightly worked over' 350. We start again at the same time, pulled even, until he started walking at 50.
Not extremely fast, he's probably in the mid-high 14s, but don't overlook those rust buckets
smile.gif

------------------
9507.gif
driverside.jpg

Sig was messed up, fixed now. I have a '93L, with just drop in K&N and wrong-size underdrive pulleys
smile.gif

------------------
9507.gif
'93L #4317
driverside.jpg

Watch out for the beaters, i never would've guessed
smile.gif

y_77962946.jpg

y_77962878.jpg

Brian

Very nice, but looks showroom clean compared to the one I saw
biggrin.gif
That a 350 in there?

Yep, built 350, or rather 355
smile.gif
She is an 85. the truck has 143k miles and even the origional paint! The engine tranny were built less than 10k miles ago. She's a dang fun truck.
smile.gif

Brian

I love beaters man! My buddy who is a lot younger than me, goes around pushing dumpsters out of alleys into roadways and stuff late at night for kicks, don't ask why!

I have a 88 Mazda 323 all wheel drive turbo car with a 5 speed! Watch out for this one!! Her name is Sally, and she loves to play with unexpecting R/T's..........LOL
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Shane

my 88 shadow 2.2 turbo, is a quick car and easily modifiable, if i throw just an inter cooler on there i will be running mid to high 14s, my friend has a dodge omni GLHS and that thing runs low 13s, its funny the things that he smokes with that thing

------------------
url]

1990 chevy 454SS
1988 dodge shadow shelby CSX-T

some people are just plain weird.
but sure makes for an interesting world.

whoda thought?

later,

Anthony

------------------
1994 Lightning #2685
1987 Harley FLHT
1967 Ranchero

There's a couple of those S-trucks running around KC with 350's in 'em. No dang traction from the ones I have seen/ridden in. It was the cool thing to do about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't understand why it dropped off. The kits look like they are much more complete now and it makes for one heck of a sleeper. You also have to watch for the V-8 S-Blazers. Those seem to be a little more sneaky.

------------------
Brendon Hale
Black 94L #620 **Saving for a Powerdyne**
'54 F100 (project since '88)

I hafta work quite early, so there is practically no vehicles on the road for my daily commute. Almost every morning I would see a new Chebby truck. Appears stock, except for stickers on the ex-cab's quarter glasses. They say 300hp in large letters. This guy is one of those fast drivers. You know, the ones that always have to be first off the line at a light, and always drive at least 10mph over the limit. After watching him take off like a bat out of hell a hundred times, one morning I goosed my L at the green. I put several lengths on him before it shifted into second, and I was spinning! After I let off, (about a second or 2 later) he flew by me in ricer fashion. I never saw him again. Found out why today. I took another way to work today, shorter but nastier neighborhoods. Guess who? Now I'm in my Ranger. 2 lights and he pulls me both times, BARELY! He needs to change those stickers to 4cyl. Then I'd be impressed! BTW, I consider my R my beater, hence the post.

[This message has been edited by Gitchi Manitou (edited 06-28-2001).]

yep, traction is a MAJOR problem, especially with the crappy tires that came on it (Comp T/A VR4s and T-bars on he way!) It runs pretty healthy, mand it gets me back and forth to work. I wou;ld love a Lightningor R/T though! this truck is all thrills, no frils. No power anything, no AC, Vynil bench seat, and the cassette player does't work on the radio. I still love it though
smile.gif

Brian

A friend of mine from another band has a 5.0 Ranger that looks like hell and stays with me all the way up to 100, then it falls flat.

I suspect he runs for money and was sandbagging me...

A GOOD COAT OF PAINT AND WAX,
SHOULD BE WORTH A 1/10TH,
CL

hey t-bird, have you seen the turbo dodge spirits, those things are great sleepers, i think stock they are high 14s

------------------
NeilSS.jpg

1990 chevy 454SS
1988 dodge shadow shelby CSX-T

The Spirit R/T? Yes, those are hella sweet! I looked at them when i was looking for my next ride, but none could be found within 100 miles. the also made a Daytona IROC R/T that had thesame drivetrain. I love those cars
smile.gif

Brian

------------------
93 Thunderbird LX 5.0 HO
99 RC R/T

OK Ryan & Brian...... We need some perspective.

Which truck is faster?
Which is quicker from a standing start?
Does that still hold true when from say a 50 mph punch?
What's in the 355 that's in the S-10?
What trans?
What rearend?

We've only ran them from a start to 50 unfortunatly i ended up on the losing end (doh!) i spun a bit and the tranny wouldn't shift outta first (manually shifting next time). The S-10 only has 3.08 gears, which like i said makes it a little doggy off the line, but the midrange/high end punch is amazing! It has a TH400 tranny and burns em 1st to second and chirps 2nd to 3rd. The engine, to be honest, I'm not too exactly sure here. They told me, 73 350 bore 30 over, 69 flatheads, bigger valves/valvesprings, holley650 carb, edelbrock intake, longtube headers, cam (love that lope, lope at idle) and I know there is more, but it escapes me. The way it is setup it really hits it's stride right around 2400 RPM and pulls straight up to 5800. the guy I got it off of said a nice 750 holley should alloy it to go all the way to 6500 RPMs. I'll run Ryan again when I get my new tires/T-bars, don't want to do too much until then, Ryan knows why and he'd better stay quiet
wink.gif
I got the S-10 to be my daily commuter, but i find yself saying i want to do this and that to it LOL. In any case I'm glad I got it over what I almost got, a 92 Hyundai Sonota!!! haahaha i'm so glad i didn't get that LOL.

Brian

[This message has been edited by T-Bird302 (edited 06-29-2001).]

Don't be downshifting it to 2nd in the rain anymore bro! Bwahahaha! Might find yourself pointing the other way in the median again.
wink.gif

PS: Update your sig retard.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by DaPurpleR/T (edited 06-29-2001).]

Oh yeah, I think he'd smoke my ass like a bad cigar in the mid and upper range, it's downright scary there. With 3.73 gears I'd say it'd do low 12s in the 1/4. Right now my gears are giving me the advantage down low. Even with his 3-speed turbo 400 tranny I bet that thing wouldn't top out till over 150MPH! Dang thing doesn't even weigh 3000lbs. Sheesh!

[This message has been edited by DaPurpleR/T (edited 06-29-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by T-Bird302:
The Spirit R/T? Yes, those are hella sweet! </font>

I don't know about hella sweet, let's grasp reality for a second..

Spirit.jpg

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
NEWEST mod - Single Blade TB, JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

View

Back