Is there money in drag racing?

madramper

#projectplatypus
With all the money guys are dumping into their trucks, is there any money to be made back? I realize this is a hobby and we have fun, but I was just curious.

A buddy of mine won a IHRA divisional last year in modified class and won 3500 for the race and another 600 in contingencies. Yeah it doesnt come close to what is invested but a nice payday.

No, its a money pit, But it sure is a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you do win, its just a bonus. I dont really care if I win or lose, just as long as I can race a bit, and have fun. Just my thoughts.

Ahhhhh.....yeah, there's money in drag racing, all the money you put into your truck, the entry fees at the drag strip, the money you pay for race gas, and the money you spend to repair or replace broken parts.....oh you mean is there any money to be "made" in drag racing.....nope.

I can tell ya how to make a small fortune though.........................

.....start with a large fortune and go racing !

Scott

Aw come on now Scott, I made $300 on one race last year. Now just deduct entry fees since 99, tires, tranny, rear end, traction bars (3 sets), race gas, travel gas, go fast goodies, tuning, more parts, hotels, food, beer, ice......:drugs: :screwy: :beanie: :blink: :goodmod: ;g :gl: :nana: :idea: :clap: :idea2: :ashamed:....oops, forgot the taxes on the $300.:(

But one thing that is hard to calculate, is the worth of all of the camaraderie, and all the GOOD FOLKS we have met racing the trucks! :tu:

Besides, I can't take it with me and I'm not leaving a cent to the kids....they can earn their own.:D:applaud:

BigD said:
But one thing that is hard to calculate, is the worth of all of the camaraderie, and all the GOOD FOLKS we have met racing the trucks! :tu:

Besides, I can't take it with me and I'm not leaving a cent to the kids....they can earn their own.:D:applaud:

I agree 100% !

Scott

Yeah, if you streetrace. Even then, race the wrong car or win by too much and you basicly f'ed yourself to get any more races.

My buddy Larry goes to the track almost every weekend during race season. He wins in the brackets all the time and makes money just about every time he goes.

Depends. We race pretty heavily out of this shop and we are pretty successful.Out here on the west coast its hard to get to big money races but we are fortunate to race at a track that pays well weekly.Between my wife and my dad we made enough to build a new car this year.Start out at fun races and get to know your truck what it does when weather/track changes make lots of passes and get good on the tree,write everything down and buy a good wheather station.Start winning some not so big buck races and then you get mometum and opponents start making mistakes and that transfers to the big cash events.Atco has about 5 10k to win races a year.
Having fun however is most important.

For trucks no. For a really good car and a really good driver theres some money in it. Will you win your money back, no.

If you are a good bracket racer and can stand running against 100+ cars with open exhaust all day long, you can make some money, but like Josh said, you won't get your money back.

The only way to do it and get paid is with sponsorship. Even then you charge for every sticker and word that goes on the vehicle.

Let's see,
$550 for WFC
$100 from NMRA
$100 from Vamp (KC)
$325 for Lfest

Minus cost of new motor, tires, wheels, heads, exhaust, fuel, travel, etc, etc.
Heck, I'm not doin too bad! Only in the hole about a bazillion dollars.
But has it been worth it? - YOU BET YOUR *****!!!

Heck, If Vern says theres no money in it then well theres no money in it at all. He wins pretty much all the races he is in.

Justin

Back