Interior Pics

RazinCain

Gen 1 Throw Down
Ok guys. I took some pic this morning after working a bit last night. I pulled my door panels to replace the bleached out handles. Speakers were crap. Replaced with some new Sonys. I ordered in new a Charcole Grey Carpet kit, 4 cans of Charcole grey interior paint, new black with white Lightning embroydered floormats, along with a new A-piller guage pod (so's I can see what the motors doin with the s/c) from Late Model Resto. I replaced the dash pad that goes above the radio down the passanger side of the cab. I also found a new black dash bezel complete with new trim and hopefully it will be here tomarrow or the next day. Carpet, mats, and piller pod should be here today. Other than my drivers side door being cracked by the door pocket then I think my interior will be about done. I plan on taping off and painting my wing window knobs unless someone can tell me how to remove them. Then I'll paint or replace them!

Ok. Ive been working diligently the last few days and as I was taking pictures of my interrior being finished up, the post man arrived with my new T Trim.....:cool: Here's some after shots of the L's inside. Also the door panels were bought from Copperhead and other than the window swith tabs being broke they were great! Ive included a couple before and after shots of the panels too. I also put in a new Pioneer Cd player, new dash bezel, new door handles, repainted my wing window knobs, new carpet, and new floormats. Looks more better;k

Attachments

• 100_0398.jpg
    100_0398.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Razin,

Based on the fact that this is the Restoration sub-forum, don't you think you should tell us about the products you used and the process you went through to redo those door panels?

Dang. My bad bumpy! That is what Spencedaddy calls you right? Well, I started off by taking the door panels I bought from Copperhead and removing all the trim, door handle/armrest, ect. Totally disassembled it. This takes more time than just hosing down the panel with laquer thinner and calling it good but I wanted them to look goooooood. I was unable to find a trim shop that would help me by selling me the dye. They all wanted me to pay them to put the dye on. So, I called them a few explativley deleteds and preceeded to go about my merry day.
I went to Hobby Lobby (hey I kinda like this place now that I bought something for the L there) and bought some Rit brand dye. Comes in the liquid form and I saw it at Wal Mart later a dollar cheaper (Dont like Hobby Lobby at this point). I said to myself "self, should I try this dye that I found at wal mart on my panel". Self agreed and off I went.
Tested it on the old cracked panel first. Matter of fact, I tested all the products on my old panels before using them on the new ones. I then took and wiped the entire panel down with laquer thinner to clean them. After that I took some Du-Pont interior trim paint (aluminum is the flavor) and painted all my trim pieces. Except the long one on the dash, word of advice, use a screwdriver and take your time, mines broke now.Start out by just barley "dusting them" with paint. Getting to much on plastic to fast will cause it to fish eye. I bought some Rustolium interior vinyl/carpet paint in Flat black.
First thing to do is dye the carpet. Lay them down on thir back and I mixed the dye half a bottle to 20 ounces of HOT water. Real potent stuff at this point so dont spill it. The concrete in my garage has a nice black blob on it now. Using a spray bottle (I used my wifes hair water bottle, she hasnt noticed yet) spray the aforementioned liquid onto the carpet of the doorpanel. It will also stain the plastic in the doorpanel so if you want that to match (like I did) I left it on there. I wiped the overspray off the panel and let it sit until dry. It took me 3 coats like this until they were completely dyed like I wanted them. Be patient. Fabulousness takes time! After they were dried I taped off the door panels and used my Rustolium fabric paint that I mentiond a second ago, and sprayed the "leather" inserts" and speaker grilles. After four coats I called it good. Let dry and I removed the tape and taped off the just painted area. Make sure the just painted portion is very dry. I let mine sit overnight to be sure.
After taping off for the second time, I used an interior paint that I bought from Late Model Restoration that matches perfectly. I sprayed 4 or 5 (cant remember exactly, fumes:tipsy:)coats on and called it good. Be carfefull removing the tape. I didnt pull any of the Rustolium paint off but I imagine you could if you tried hard enough. I belived that paint prep is the key here. Dont skip wipin down with laqure thinner. I even wiped it down again after the dye and insert spraying. While I was painting the door panels, I took the arm rests and lightly dusted them with matching interior paint. I then put a slightly thicker coat on. Two total coats at this point. I was doing this in between coats for the door panels. I reused my old arm rests vs. the new ones because they already matched the Charcoal interior color I just wanted to freshen them up a tad to match the door panels. After all paint was dry and tape removed I re assembled the door panels and took pics for you guys to look at! Whew! That was the longest post Ive never done! Hopefully this'll help someone.

The seats are faded a little bit at the top. The truck never had window tint. Which I will be changing soon. But, It's not noticable unless you are looking for it. Most of the light coloring in the pics are from the camera flash. They really didnt look that light in person.

Thanks for the great details! One thing to point out. When you mask off your parts, If you are using the old type masking tape, (and you are NOT using 3M blue tape, and you should be anyway.), look for the whitest masking tape you can find. The stuff that has yellowed has aged beyond usefulness and will be a bear to work with. Toss it and get fresh.
I'm not sure how to tell if the blue tape has aged. Haven't kept any around long enough for it to sour.

Back