impalass.net/quickss/
I didnt think that car was that fast

oops!

------------------
'00 White Lightning
no mods
5636824.jpg

[This message has been edited by cplgunn (edited 06-23-2001).]

Greetings, I couldn't help but reply while I was browsing this site and saw the Impala thread. I own a 96 Impala SS that is "slightly modded" (hehe) and performs as well as the others on that list. I know a few of the fellows on that list and are great sportsman, and yes the Impala can be surprisingly quick. Overall the Imp is bulletproof as far as maintenence, and fairly easy to mod into the 12's. Not bad for a 4200lb. sedan. I happen to love the Lightning and in the process of searchig out and buying a local one if possible. They remind me of the Impala in that they are easy to mod into the 12's and you get the often quoted "I didn't know those cars/trucks were that fast." Most of my commrades on the Impala SS site like the Lightning and have alot of respect for Ford's muscle with a bed. Take care and be easy on the newbie...

------------------
Robert 96 BBB Impala SS
TNT N2O and bolt ons

Killer,

Great screen name. I love it! Killer Whale-hahahahahah. Perfect for those cars.

Any info on whether GM will ever build another full size V8 RWD?

------------------
Kevin Lewis NLOC #405
68 Firebird - Perpetual Project Car
93 Black SHO ATX - Cone Filter, Eibach Springs, and Doug Lewis Tranny
93 Black (Grey) Lightning - Stock
95 Black Lightning - Vortech S-Trim (10 rib), TW Heads (milled and polished), FMS 1.6 Rockers, Lunati Roller Cam, Mass Air Conversion, FMS 36# Injectors, Chip by PSP, Precision Industries Converter (2800 RPM), Bassani Headers, Bassani XPipe, Dynomax Race Mag Bullets, Full MSD Ignition, Electric Fans, And waaaaaay too much fun.....
lowlight.jpg

My 95 when it was down low, stock height now. New pics to come soon...

I have tried, but can't talk the other half into an SS. That Grand Prix GT (no "p" means no power) just doesn't cut it.

------------------
Brendon Hale
Black 94L #620 **Saving for a Powerdyne**
'54 F100 (project since '88)

Sadly Kevin it appears that GM is playing with themselves while the rest of the manufacturers are building real cars. The SS is a dying breed of muscle and with the demise of the F-body you have to ask what's left? The Marauder shows promise IF Ford will commit to it. Of course GM will always have the Corvette (big whoop) and there was plans and a prototype for the 2002 model Impala(wimpala) with an LS1, BUT with the front wheel drive still in it. It didn't take GM long to can that one for sure. It has definately become a money game and they keep putting out these cookie cutter vehicles and cars like the Impala and Lighting if we aren't careful, are and will be a thing of the past. Brenden, I actually owned a GTP coupe before my Imp, and it was a cool car and I belive to be a vicious competitor to a stock Imp as well as the Lightning. They are beatable , but do not underestimate one or you'll be playing catch up. I don't sweat them. Great board and excellent discussion!

------------------
Robert 96 BBB Impala SS
TNT N2O and bolt ons

Hey Killer: What does you lead sled run on the motor? How much N2O do you shoot? Just wondering. My truck weighs about 4175 lbs and Im wondering what some spray would do for it. Thanks for the info, Rod K.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rod K.
fe971776.jpg

93 Lightning #1529
13.683 @ 97.82 Au Natural
98 SVT Contour E1 #5782

Rod, I haven't had the car dynoed, so I can't give you an accurate number, I figure over 400hp with the shot and I can tell you that the gas should take a full second off your e.t.s. I shoot 100 shot currently, but intend to upgrade the fuel pump to shoot 150. I plan a gear swap(3:73) real soon and the fellows who help me set up the car (N2O, ect.) expect mid to low 12's and I'll be dissapointed if it don't hit it. I'll let you guys know for sure when all the bugs are worked out and I have a time slip to post. If you decide on to gas it, be sure to check out the TNT system. I have heard nothing but good stuff with this kit, and it is really putting out some killer ets for the GM guys. Later!

------------------
Robert 96 BBB Impala SS
TNT N2O and bolt ons

I had a customer of mine start building a Z28 camaro and was originally running Nitrous, but decided to go with a vortech.
He came in to my shop with the car and said,
"I am having alot of parts delivered here, can you put them on and make it run?".. I said hell yeah. so he left the car for two weeks, Well, vortech, Centerforce clutch, Jacobs ignition, headers and cat back system, DS loop and gears, gauge pods and all the little goodies that come with it all and he is in the High 11's..with slicks..
I have heard from alot of Lt1 owners that say that the Vortech is the best combination for the LT1..
Is there any reason you didnt go with that on your Impala?.. I know my customer spent way over 10K with parts and install, but for a totally streetable car with cold a/c and a kickass stereo.. It rocks...

------------------
01 white lightning, JDM flip chip that is the shiznit!!! 2000 Civic Si, vortech, killer stereo, screaming little bitch.
2000 Suzuki RM125. slings mud every weekend.
85 toyota tercel
3 Beagles,My boyz, Pokey, Nitro, and Slinger JJ's Whitelightning

My new albums

I ran one at the track one time with a 383 Callaway Stroker in it. It ran a 13.850. Would shock the crap out of someone expecting a 15 sec run and then getting his ass handed to him cause he wasn't aggressive enough out of the hole.

------------------
'00 Red Lightning,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
375 RWHP,
445 RWTQ,
12.974@104.818
Track Videos

The reason why I chose N2O instead of the Vortech is simply the weight of the car. The blower just won't give the torque that you need to get that kind of iron movin' quickly. Wear and tear is another reason. The blower would constantly putting pressure on the motor while N2O is an arm- go fast- shut off- purge- disarm and go back to normal. Setup is crucial for engine life. A good nitrous setup can shoot many, many bottles without any ill effects. The cost was another reason to. To get a blower on an Imp requires ALOT of moddifying and I would rather put the cash into other mods. Later!

Killer,
friend of mine bought an ex police car, did a complete redo (paint/wheels/etc.) to make a very nice looking Caprice. with minor mods, he was able to pull mid-low 14's. He also decided to go the bottle route, and put a 100 shot on. with slicks, he posted a best et of 12.98. I was amazed at the times that thing would run with a small amount of nitrous, and talk about a sleeper!!

I can't remember the exact numbers, but HotRod TV put headers, a K&N, and chip in an SS a long time ago and all I remember is that the power difference was MONSTROUS. It was like 55hp or something.

------------------
Brendon Hale
Black 94L #620 **Saving for a Powerdyne**
'54 F100 (project since '88)

Welcome to the board Killer! I'm sure I can speak for all when I say I appreciate the kind words you have for the L. Our Imp has surprised many unsespecting victims also. Especially fun to play with ricers. You'll enjoy the company here, a great group of people! You have mail.

------------------
'00 White Lightning
no mods
5636824.jpg

Like the Gen. 1 lightnings, the Impala and Caprices have a lot of hidden power to be tapped into. The Caprice can be quite deadly as sleeper because of its modest appearence. The SS is a little harder to mask because of that wicked stance and color. Guys I'll tell you, there are few fellows getting mid to low 11's and one in the 10's! in street form. Of course this is extenive work on the motor/drivetrain but you can kinda see the limit is how quick you want to go. I bet 10's or 11's would be freaky in a truck. It would be fun to try it though!

11's aren't any big deal - just point and shoot.
wink.gif

Welcome to the show!

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
Lightning #74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2-lotsa mods
Lightning #582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75- Swanson chip
1973 Datsun 240Z - project car
Drive 'em like ya stole 'em!
trux2.jpg

Back