I have a possible need.

Jamie V

I'm not sure of how hard it would be to make or a price but this is what I would be interested in.

A bunch of us hardcore racers like to remove our side mirrors for racing. They are kinda heavy and they cause air drag (not to mention they are tight going into enclosed trailers.

When you remove the mirrors there is a hole in the door of the truck (a couple holes) The mirror bolts to the outside of the door with 2 torx button head bolts. Between the mirror and the door is a plastic/rubber type gasket. I think it would be cool if you could make an aluminum piece that would sit right into that gasket (like the mirror does) and bolt to the door to eliminate the mirror and cover the holes.

It would have to have the 2 holes in it to reuse the torx bolts so there was no drilling or anything. and of course it would have to look great! possibly some custom engraving on them also.

Here is a picture of the gaskets that go between the mirror and door. The two outer most holes are the ones that the bolts go through the mirror and through the gasket and bolt to the door with. The big square hole is for a piece of the mirror to pass through into the door so you would do nothing with that. The little tiny hole is for a small screw that goes backwards into the mirror (holds the gasket to the mirror) you would have to do nothing with that also.

DSC_2590.JPG

Jamie V
jfastford@comcast.net

Jamie,
Sorry about the delayed response. My computer suffered a recent lightning strike (no pun intended either). I just got my new computer up and going so I am a little behind on emails and messages.

As for your request, that looks like a very doable project. Are the gaskets still available? If so, can you provide a part number so that I pick one up to look at? Or if you have a spare that you could send, that would work too.

Thanks,
Wayne

No problem Wayne. My gaskets are back on the truck with the mirrors on but I did take a picture of them (a big picture :D) so I was able to crop out the part numbers on the picture. There is a Right Hand and a Left Hand gasket.

I think just a piece of brushed alum. With two holes for the screws. And use a stainless torx screw with the nut on the inside of the door. Should be a simple job

Yup, I want a nice piece that lays in the stock gasket, bolts right up, an possibly has something like "Lightning" or a lightning bolt engraved in it. Shouldn't be that hard with the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Back