I broke the "little red truck"

Skritch

Right around the 9th the truck started acting up ! Not running right. Was out on a couple of gigs with friends, yeah car related stuff. Missing and stuttering it was. Got it home and started to explore. Got worse. Reminiscent of a vacuum leak in the intake gasket as the '95 had many years ago. Checked all vacuum lines, checked electrical connections at the sensors, scratched my head. Dug out the code reader, got some codes. Oddly a code for the ECT sensor and the MAP sensor. Picked up a new ECT sensor, swapped a MAP sensor with one of the many "extra" trucks sitting around. No change. Read codes MANY times and once clearing the continuous memory (CM) nothing popped up ever again.

With help from Steve and Corey in further troubleshooting the next step will be to swap an ECM out of the parts truck to see what happens.

It acts "wrong". On a cold engine the AFR comes up way to fast to 14.7ish. Maybe 30 seconds. Then it will start to lean itself into the 15s and then 16s then the engine will want to die but will catch itself around 400 RPM. AFR goes to 10ish then starts working its way back up to 14.7ish and then process starts all over again. Fuel pressure doesn't deviate until the engine tries to die and it will drop about 2 psi then come right back up again to 30 psi.

Even after a substantial run cycle the code reader shows nothing. O2 was replaced in march of 2015 with a Bosch unit.

Interesting and it has to happen now ! This is the FUN time of year and it's the truck I'll always take out. It's my "goto" truck 'cause I LOVE rowing the gears, especially now that the Wizard has laid his hands on it and the Vortech is operational on the truck. Boostie, boost, boost !

Oh well, maybe next week she'll be back from the Twilight zone with me !

Scott

Scott,

Is this truck converted from speed density?

Your symptoms sound similar to those of a failing MAF sensor.

Scott, Corey and Jeff showed up yesterday with Corey's 94. Apparently Jeff had worked his magic on his paint. That 94 red is popping and brought back so many memories driving his turbo truck. I think I want to take a bunch of stuff off of his truck, do you think he would notice? Anyway, we talked about yours and the new issues. Corey brought up a good point that there seems to be a fair share of EEC failures lately. Wonder if we are beginning to realize a shelf life on these old computers. Ayways, you are lucky you have so many spare parts to pop in to help trouble shoot. Why don't you pop the tweecer out of it and bring it on Sunday and I will replace the thirty pound tunes with two fresh 60lb burns just so we can 100 % rule out that part.

Scott, Corey and Jeff showed up yesterday with Corey's 94. Apparently Jeff had worked his magic on his paint. That 94 red is popping and brought back so many memories driving his turbo truck. I think I want to take a bunch of stuff off of his truck, do you think he would notice? Anyway, we talked about yours and the new issues. Corey brought up a good point that there seems to be a fair share of EEC failures lately. Wonder if we are beginning to realize a shelf life on these old computers. Ayways, you are lucky you have so many spare parts to pop in to help trouble shoot. Why don't you pop the tweecer out of it and bring it on Sunday and I will replace the thirty pound tunes with two fresh 60lb burns just so we can 100 % rule out that part.

I'm thinkin' Corey won't notice if ya "kinda" take that turbo stuff off if ya replace it with one of those Turbulator dohickys that go in the intake tube. That one that 'spins" the air. Should give him the same "feel" he's used to, don't ya think ?

Corey told me Jeff had been "massaging" on his turbo truck with buffers and the like. A bit of powered "rubbing" can do WONDERS for paint !

I'll get that TwEECer dug out and bring with me Sunday.

Scott

Its ok guys, as I am planing on swapping out Jeffs new double adjustable Viking shocks when he isnt looking. maybe those wide rear 03/04 wheels also.

Scott, I will be bringing the old Snap On Solus scanner up for you to borrow also.
See you all Sunday, Gone Dirt bike riding with James & Nicholas Saturday.

Dam Corey, I was wantin' those shocks for the front of the '95. Jamie V wouldn't sell just a pair......don't blame him. I'll send ya a couple of crappy Bilsteins off the little red truck so's you can swap'em out real quick and I can "borrow" them for a bit. Just for the racing season then you can have them back.

I'm thinkin' if you paint the Bilsteins silver and glue a couple of black knobs on the bottom he won't notice......

Will be "fun" to fiddle with your scanner. I might get to learn sumthin.....
Scott

Meanwhile, seriously, I swapped out the parts truck computer for the one in the little red truck. Initial impression is indeed may be back from the twilight zone. Cold start and seems to be playing nice. AFR came up kinda quick but idle is pretty stable, no leaning out and dying on warmup, extended idle seems good. Seems a little labored initially and the thing Steve told me about showed up. After 255 seconds without blipping the throttle the ECM goes into open loop until the throttle is touched. When that happened idle went up about 200 RPM and engine smoothed out some. BLip the throttle and back to closed loop. Minor surging (I still call it cycling) but runs like what I'm used to with the ol' girl.

Unfortunately, the truck is tucked away on the lift (those that know my shop know the lift is in the back corner) and my trailer is blocking exit for a test drive. Trailer was going to get fresh brakes but found it doesn't need them. So, wheel bearing repack, and a couple of those "while you're there" things. Think I'm gonna get that finished up on the trailer so I can get it out of the shop and do a bit of further testing with the little red truck.

Scott

Indeed it did Billy ! Dropped an ICY1 in it and got rid of the trailer to take a drive. A little 40 mile jaunt to run some errands and she played near perfectly !! The Wizard advised it will take some run cycles for the ECM to iron out some little details but it sure is FUN to row some gears again !

Looks like I'm gonna be needing to find out about having a rebuild/refresh on a fussy C3P2 ECM !

Scott

Back