How to drain fuel tank. (w/ pics)

dealerjim

Instead of driving around town for a week on that high dollar race fuel you bought at the track last night, you can drain your entire tank for just a couple bucks worth of fuel line and a jumper wire. I do it every time I go to the track. I pump out all the 93 and add a half tank of C16. Then after I'm through racing I pump the C16 out and pour the 93 back in so I'm not burning $8 a gallon race fuel on the drive home. Here are some easy instructions.

First get a 6 to 8 foot piece of rubber fuel line. (Easily obtainable from an AutoZone, Advance etc.)

25409-200-17713.jpg

A home made jumper wire.

25409-200-17714.jpg

and a shrader valve tool.

25409-200-17707.jpg

To start, loosen your gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank. Then go to your fuse box (under the hood) and pull this relay.

25409-200-17709.jpg

Then plug jumper here.

25409-200-17710.jpg

Find the shrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail and remove cap. Remove valve using schrader valve tool. (A little fuel will come out so you might want to put a towel under the rail.) I never do because the small amount that comes out usually evaporates before I'm done anyway.

25409-200-17711.jpg

Push one end of the fuel line onto the shrader valve. It goes on pretty tight. (You can use a hose clamp to be safe, although I've never had a problem with it blowing off.)

25409-200-17712.jpg

Place the other end of the fuel line into a gas jug.

Now turn the ignition on without starting the engine and your fuel pumps will pump the fuel out. To stop the pumps just turn the key back off. ***Important*** Try not to starve the pumps as you can damage them. It's always best to have someone present that can work the key for you. If the fuel starts foaming or you hear air turn the ignition off. The tank will then be drained. Add race fuel and have fun. When you get finished racing just repeat and add your 93 back to the tank. Just thought this might helps a few guys save some money on race fuel.:)

Good write up Jim! There is also the external fuel pump I use to pump out Race gas that I use for my stand alone nitrous fuel system if you really want to go all out.

Awesome How-to...particularly interesting since I replaced my buddies fuel pump on his Dodge Ram this weekend...haha

Jim,
I sure wished I would've known this after our last 2 hurricanes in 2004 when I was trying to siphon fuel directly from the tank so I could use it in my generator. Thx for a great tip. It's worth millions to me.

Hey, thanks for the easy instructions :eek:ldtu:. These steps will allow any drivers to save fuel. It may take time to drain the fuel tank but its worth it anyway. Thanks again.

Remote starter

If you don't have a body to work the key, get a spare remote starter
and extend the jumper wires to reach the fuse block and add the
spade connectors.

Now you can control the pump from under the hood while monitoring
the gas flow

Back