How to do a MAF conv.with low investment on Low budget

SVT Zorro

How to do a MAF conv. on Low budget

I recently did a MAF conversion on my 93 Lightning but this time I did not want to spent 1,200(+,-) buying a MAF converssion kit and Baumanator controler like I did for another Gen I Lightning 393 stroker I sold about 2 years ago:cr:

This time I did a lot of reserch and come up with something on mind so I will try to shorlty explain because I'm not too good traying to explain things.:scared1:

If you have a MAF mustang harness some connectors items this can be used as a donors like MAF, Injectors, and O2's connectors if not you can buy them used or new, I had and old speed density harness on my storage so I took the Fuel injectors connectors only.

Items used :
1- 60 pin Harness extenders connectors from ebay $ 199 :scared1:
2- BIO0 MAF/E4OD ECU from ebay$ 200 :scared1:
3- MAF Pigtail $ 22.95 :tu
4- O2' extenders $ 30 :tu
5- 2 O2's "used" :tu
6- Fuel Inj. connectors "used" :tu
7- Wires, wires cover, Zip ties,but connectors & misc. around $50 :tu
8- MAF & housing "used" :tu:tu

These are the choices for E4OD ECU's:
1-HOGO (F4TF-12650-AA)
2-U4XO (F4PF-12A650-AA)
3-VEXI (F5TF-12A650-HB)
4- WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
5- BIO0 (F5TF-12A50-BYA)
6- AKCO (F8TF-12A650-NA) I think this ECU is calibrated already to use 30lbs FI & MAF.

Do your own research on which ECU you select, I picked up BIO0 and just worked fine with my E4OD. if you can't find one at the Yunk yard or E-bay, autozone sell the reman Cardone ECU but you need to gave them the long part #( try first the 12A650-?? or use the complete number I mean including the F5TF-?) do not use the short code (like BIO0, etc. catch code)

Around $650 spent on all copmponents not counting the used items I already got.

I have the Tweecer module on my current set up (BIO0 MAF ECU) and I used another one also on my previous set up on my 393 stroker (A9L ECU) and worked great

Below are pictures of items used, the great advantageyou can built this kit for around $ 600.00 if you find a MAF - E4od ECU used at e-bay or may be buy one reman at Autozone but it needs to be a MAF ECU California emission 94-95 Bronco or F150 with 5.8L and e4od transmission. I think they cost around $260 to $280 with core or more if core is not given but not sure.

I used the diagram of Haynes book but I found only 3 wires to control the E4OD are wrong on this book so the first time I tried transmission did not shift, I found the mistake because I check on fordfuelinjection.com where it shows the right pins, did the change on harness extender and transmission worked fine.

Now I have the MAF on my pick up and a tweecer and ready for future mods like cams, heads, blower and every thing that MAF offer for tune.:scared1: if you want go back to Speed density just remove harness and install stock ECU and reconnect untouch stock harness and the stock single Oxigen sensor.

I had to power the two 02's from key on 12 volts and for MAF & Fuel injectors from the 12 volts wire feeding the stock Fuel injectors because is the same source of suply to 12 v to ECU and is recomended that ECU and Fuel Injectors be attached to the same source of supply.:tu

Before do this I was looking for a FMS MAF for the GEN 1 with out luck, was too late when I saw just one and was gone like a breeze for $800(+) that is a good price even for a used one and I don't blame them, if you find one for sale is like find a treasure in our Lightning world.

If money is not a problem check these web sites: Ford Complete EFI Systems - Pro-M EFI Engine Management Systems and this other one IST Products this last site offers a complete kit without the duty to buy a transmission controler for the E4od , mustangs conversion you have to buy and wire the transmission controler if you have the E4od.

Last edited:
The FMS AKCO kit can be had for the same price if your patient

I've bought 2 kits and the first was 600 and the current one was 450 shipped......just saying deals can be had to those who are patient

Yeah, I was getting impatient waiting to find an FMS kit and was just about ready to do the same mod Zorro did ^^^ with the BIO0 (or FLY1, MOB1, RAN2) when my ship came in with the FMS kit. Zorro's write-up is exactly the way I would have done it if I had gone that route. Benefits are you can keep/re-use the stock 19-lb injectors, and stock '94-95 MAF sensors are easier to find and cheaper. Like Zorro said, a good used injector harness is key - cost you $500 for a new harness. Even if you made your own harness, new connectors will cost you $25 each.

I was waiting for so long on FMS kit come available but men..... when that happen??? and price wise how much until then?????

In my previuos GEN 1 393 strocker I bought a custom made MAF conversion & had to buy a Baum. controler, Fox Mustang ECU, MAF, etc & etc, because FMS kit were not availble already so I paid around $1200 and that was more than 2 years ago, right now there a website you can buy this kit but you have to look at your bank account first, link is IST Products Mass-Air Kits
I never call this company for kit avai.... I just did not want to spend the same money or more I paid last time and decide to explore on my own, If you can find a used Mustang MAF harness cheap or if have one in your storage you can use all connectors as a donor.

On my case I spent between $620-$650 because I bought new connectors such as MAF and O2 extenders, you can always use the current Fuel injectors on your speed density and re-route wiring but on my case I just did not want to mess or alter the stock speed density harness and put back to stock in case something goes wrong (plus the fact I had a speed density harness I used as a donor for the Fuel injectors connectors) , but that did not happen except for the first time the transmission did not shift but that was because haynes book is wrong as I explained above.

For me was more convinient built the harness outside and double and triple checked against the diagram and check with a Voltmeter for continuity on both sides of 60 pins harness where wires were re-routed and in new sensosr just added such as MAF, 2 O2's and for the 8 Fuel Injectors connectors now connected on sequential order agains the male connector of 60 pin extension harness going to new MAF ECU.

If some time FMS kit come available again (AKCA ECU, 30 lbs FI, MAF, intake, harness, etc) I think will be hard the keep the same price they were available few years ago ........... well is just a thought.

I just want to throw out here another route to go to the great convinince of going MAF on our beloved GEN 1 lightnings, you can always buy new at the above site, Let Ed built one for you , or make you own, the decision ir yours......

Megasquirt is also a cool set up I have one on my 94 Mustang Cobra 331 stroker and man is very cool , you can tuned with the motor running on idle or driving , I got the car like that I did not do this set up, I got the car already with it, you can do a research for this kits It can be used with MAF or speed density.

Recently I was not able to find a FMS to fit the GEN 1 Lightining with out no more modifiactions that only plug in and go only found some MAF conversion for Mustangs and did not want to go that route again because I did not want to spend more money for the Baumanator, they work for non ECU controled auto or manual or with AOD so I'm glad to do what I did because not only worked fine but also for personal satisfaction.....!!

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but here goes. I own a 1994 model and recently ran across a 1995 e-150 van with the 5.8 motor and scavenged the power steering pump and bracket from it and it worked like a charm on my 1994. No parts to buy..nada.. Direct bolt and go. My question is would the mass air from the van be a direct bolt on as well? I can't think of a reason why not.

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but here goes. I own a 1994 model and recently ran across a 1995 e-150 van with the 5.8 motor and scavenged the power steering pump and bracket from it and it worked like a charm on my 1994. No parts to buy..nada.. Direct bolt and go. My question is would the mass air from the van be a direct bolt on as well? I can't think of a reason why not.

No, it isn't a direct "bolt-on". The mass-air part of it is built into the van's wiring harness, which is quite different from an F-150's harness, which is also different from a Lightning harness. What you can do is take the harness and computer from the van (though you'd have to reference the catch code with the list above), cut it apart and separate the injector wiring, air meter wiring, and IAT sensor wiring, and build your own overlay harness. It requires re-pinning some of the wires at the ecm connector and adding in the overlay harness, as well as a second O2 sensor.

Here's a thread with more info:

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/219078-MAF-Conv-on-Low-Budget

Back