How often do you get asked, "wanna sell your truck?"

I6tq

Thought Id ask others, if this happens to them, see if anyone has a good story or two to tell.

I don't have a gen 1, a 95 eddie bauer, and Ive had a consistent run of folks over the years, stopping at my house, no interest in the other vehicles, just this one for some reason, figured a gen 1 owner would likely experience this more.

What sparked this thread, other evening, I was inside my utility room, heard folks talking, see a car behind my truck, so I go see why they are behind my truck. Then I hear the neighbor say, "youll have to ask him."

I knew right then, what they were gonna ask. This conversation had to top them all, give me some crap about how hes looking for a truck for an elderly guy that doesn't even drive, he just wants an old eddie bauer, to look at. He would ask, Id say no, then he would talk more, then he would ask, you sure you dont want to sell, no. lol. That one took the cake.

Had folks, say they see my truck every day and are in love with it. Then act offended when I say no, its not for sale. Had folks point out that it doesn't get driven much, then act like that's a leverage point. Nope. Not for sale. lol And like mentioned before, folks kinda act a little offended at times.

Been going on, pretty much since I bought it.

I may start throwing out a crazy number, who knows, they may take it. :D

OH well, figured Id share, maybe someone else would like to.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a 96 regular old f150 work truck and I get asked quite often too. At one point I started saying 10k which is way more then it's worth lol. But owning this thing since 01 I'm not sure I'd let it go for 10k. Plus it has a pretty nice set up now.

No one has ever really gave a second look at either of my Lightnings. However i do get a occasional thumbs up when people hear me roll by or if I bark second gear pretty hard.

I have had people leave notes on my truck and I have actually had a cop stop me to talk about it. One guy during the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach walked up and was talk mad S**t one time like he was some "big money" MFer and like Joe stated I told him $15,000 cash and he can drive it home. He said he'd be right back I finished my beer and left

I have a 96 regular old f150 work truck and I get asked quite often too. At one point I started saying 10k which is way more then it's worth lol. But owning this thing since 01 I'm not sure I'd let it go for 10k. Plus it has a pretty nice set up now.

X2 I tell em 10k, some have pondered it before....

Have a friend he had a 70 chevy long bed he cut down made into a short bed,
nothing fancy multi colord with primer spots, put 18 inch wheels on it, got a early 2000s chevy the big work truck gas motor whatever it is think 6.8 7.2 , I wanna say it had around 490 cubic inch for $1000 put it together it was too powerful for street tires . He wanted to freshen it up , But they Don,t make main bearings for it anymore. That engine was only in production 2 years . A guy at a car show asked him you wanna sell it he said $14,000 guy came back in 30 minutes with the money. He didn't have probley $3000 in it. Knowing he couldn't rebuild it anyway.

So pop off big numbers you never know.

I get the occasional compliment, but never had anyone ask if it was for sale. They probably see the answer in my face before they even ask...

Back when truck accessories were a really big deal one of my uncles was a dealer for Mr. Pickup. He had a two tone green 73 F-100 that was really sharp other than the fact that it had EVERY item in the catalog on it. It looked like a rolling Mexican Christmas tree going down the road at night. Back in the early 90s there was a lady that loved that truck and came in every week and asked him to sell it. One day he decided to put an end to it and told her $10k. She said OK and that was it.

I get asked from time to time on both of my trucks. I think on my driver people think I'm just going to give it away. I had a guy try to buy my L at the gas station a year or two ago. He kept asking if it was for sale and I kept saying no. He finally asked something like "Do you mean to say you wouldn't take $50k for that truck?" I said nope and he stomped off.

I once got a business card wrapped in a $20 under my wiper blade. Wife has the Guy's card secured for when I croak. lmao. I invested the $20 in a case of Lager...

Last edited:
I once got a business card wrapped in a $20 under my wiper blade. Wife has the Guy's card secured for when I croak. lmao. I invested the $20 in a case of Lager...

One other offer was really un-nerving. A new Challenger was about 5 cars back and attempting to nose through traffic through the light cycles in town. I was in Zzapped, on my way to night class at the local college campus extension. I turned into the lot and the Challenger parked across my bow essentially blocking me in, as the 20something passenger jumped out and asked if I wanted to sell NOW for cash!!!! Dudes creeped me out, especially since I would be leaving alone at around 10pm from an empty parking lot. Only time I ever wished I had a carry permit.

Kinda becomes a part of the family, to sound cliché.

I have had people leave notes on my truck and I have actually had a cop stop me to talk about it. One guy during the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach walked up and was talk mad S**t one time like he was some "big money" MFer and like Joe stated I told him $15,000 cash and he can drive it home. He said he'd be right back I finished my beer and left

That's awesome. lol Ive known folks to have cops pull them over for no other reason, than to ask if they wanna sell their truck. Id be annoyed. lol

Have a friend he had a 70 chevy long bed he cut down made into a short bed,
nothing fancy multi colord with primer spots, put 18 inch wheels on it, got a early 2000s chevy the big work truck gas motor whatever it is think 6.8 7.2 , I wanna say it had around 490 cubic inch for $1000 put it together it was too powerful for street tires . He wanted to freshen it up , But they Don,t make main bearings for it anymore. That engine was only in production 2 years . A guy at a car show asked him you wanna sell it he said $14,000 guy came back in 30 minutes with the money. He didn't have probley $3000 in it. Knowing he couldn't rebuild it anyway.

So pop off big numbers you never know.

You may be onto something, I may have to start throwing out a crazy number. :D

Back when truck accessories were a really big deal one of my uncles was a dealer for Mr. Pickup. He had a two tone green 73 F-100 that was really sharp other than the fact that it had EVERY item in the catalog on it. It looked like a rolling Mexican Christmas tree going down the road at night. Back in the early 90s there was a lady that loved that truck and came in every week and asked him to sell it. One day he decided to put an end to it and told her $10k. She said OK and that was it.

I get asked from time to time on both of my trucks. I think on my driver people think I'm just going to give it away. I had a guy try to buy my L at the gas station a year or two ago. He kept asking if it was for sale and I kept saying no. He finally asked something like "Do you mean to say you wouldn't take $50k for that truck?" I said nope and he stomped off.

I think that's what it is with mine, they think Im gonna give it away. I can relate to your 73 truck story, in that, I had a friend back in high school, his dad was a truck driver, with a similar year truck, camper top, side exhaust, green, horns, lighting, chit all over that dang thing, like he opened a jcwhitney catalog and said, put all that on my truck, even the ugly chit but it was as clean as it could be, garage kept, never driven. But man was that thing strange looking. lol

That's crazy...don't think for one second, that she wont make that call. lol. J/K

IVSVS said:
One other offer was really un-nerving. A new Challenger was about 5 cars back and attempting to nose through traffic through the light cycles in town. I was in Zzapped, on my way to night class at the local college campus extension. I turned into the lot and the Challenger parked across my bow essentially blocking me in, as the 20something passenger jumped out and asked if I wanted to sell NOW for cash!!!! Dudes creeped me out, especially since I would be leaving alone at around 10pm from an empty parking lot. Only time I ever wished I had a carry permit.

I can imagine the adrenaline was elevated. This state, open carry is legal for anyone over 21 that can legally own a firearm, no permit needed, and transporting a firearm in a compartment original to the vehicle is perfectly legal.

No one has ever really gave a second look at either of my Lightnings. However i do get a occasional thumbs up when people hear me roll by or if I bark second gear pretty hard.

That's cool. Your gonna have to video your second gear shift in action, you've mentioned a few times how cool it is going into second, you have my interest....be cool to see it. :D

My favorite one to be ask "Anyone killed in that train wreck?" Fortunately it wasn't my Lightning.

:D

I get the occasional compliment, but never had anyone ask if it was for sale. They probably see the answer in my face before they even ask...

:tu

Last edited:

That's the good thing about Fl you don't need a permit to carry in your vehicle!!! I have an FFL and a Carry permit my company will not let us carry but they send us into some nasty places at the craziest times so you can figure out what I do!

Most places that don't make it hard to own a firearm allow you to have a firearm in your car. Here it's part of our castle doctrine law. Your car is just like your house. Too bad a gun locked in your car is worthless when you're walking to your car.

Around here, its not unusual to see someone walking along in wallymart, family in tow or your favorite home improvement store, with a firearm on their hip, more so recently, for some reason.

Same here. When we legalized open carry you started seeing it a lot more. Might as well wear a sign that says shoot me first.

No way I'd open carry. I carry everywhere. No one is the wiser. I prefer it that way. Ii want everyone to think I'm just a chubby dude with a BA beard, nothing to see here!

Back