Hood Ground Strap Replacement

bumperquip

Yes, I know I likely need to get some excitement in my life if an aftermarket ground strap prompts me to create a whole new thread ... Sorry, I like what I like and I love what I love.

Anyway, I know that the vast majority of us have broken hood hinge ground straps.

I've been hesitant to go the aftermarket route but bit the proverbial bullet and went to Advance Auto and bought the Dorman HELP carded strap off the shelf.

I was concerned that the 15" length would too long to be presentable. However, if you choose your mounting locations, it fits damn nicely.

NOTE: I chose the eyelet angles to ensure the strap would not contact or interfere with the hinge when the hood's opened and closed.

79155211-61B5-4EB4-9C22-66A80BEEC220-6705-000006EB99D73790_zps3a4a5386.jpg

004F1D32-F045-4F91-9FF4-7702B1EFCBF2-6705-000006EB81A29D7D_zps2751a560.jpg

16A81F27-D6F9-44CD-96D2-3F62D7B239D1-6705-000006EB64C6FC19_zps45f3d1a0.jpg

My original hood ground strap broke a few years ago. I just removed it. I wouldn't mind fixing it. What is the point of having the hood grounded though?

Grounding the hood provides a larger ground plane for the radio antenna, as well as reducing ignition RF reaching the antenna.

bumperquip do you happen to know the location of all of the factory ground straps? I have a feeling that I am missing a few. Perhaps I didn't hook them back up after the motor rebuild.

bumperquip do you happen to know the location of all of the factory ground straps? I have a feeling that I am missing a few. Perhaps I didn't hook them back up after the motor rebuild.

1 - Hood/hood hinge to firewall (shown above);

2 - Firewall to block (you can see the firewall end of that one above too inboard of the passenger side hood hinge. It connects to the rear of the block on the passenger side, down right at about the bell housing;

3 - Core support to sway bar plate. This one connects between the lower passenger side corner of the radiator core support to the upper passenger side corner of the sway bar mounting plate.

4 - Frame to cab. This one is located between the underside of the passenger side cab floor (right about the bushing end of the passenger side radius arm) to the frame right about that location too.

If there are more under the boxes, someone else is gonna have to speak up ... I haven't torn my box off yet.

If I can dig up some photos or a graphic, I'll post that up.

Ford service manual shows all of the above, plus: "R.H. side of frame to crossmember" - diagram isn't much help, except it shows an "air bag sensor reference" module. No such animal on my '93, so can't help pinpoint it any more than that.

Back