Home of the Lightning--January 2004 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

f150freak

Certified nut job
My hat is off to you SVT!

And I know you're being flooded with all kinds of questions here but I am curious about the PPH numbers on the Lightnings. I don't know if Ford brakes it down by types of trucks but is there an approximate average of PPH for the Lightnings?

I've had a few issues with my truck but nothing that would convince me its not the best truck in the world........at least not yet..

Man, how do you get all those pictures at work, we can't even THINK of bringing a camera into the plant. The union has to get some special permission to take pictures for the newsletter I think.
Keep em coming, I'd like to see the station where they deck to engines to the trannies, I've been to KTP and seen it, but I heard the f150 plants do it differently. The guy at KTP is just amazing, I can't put the all the shipping caps etc on as fast as he rips them all off and bolts the thing to the flexplate...

G

Happy New Year to all of you;
Hey Redfox; I know it's hard to admit for any of us but the Nissan's and Toyota's of the world are doing the little things right and better than the Big 3 that the consumers like and are looking for in a vehicle. As everyone knows Toyota is now moved ahead of Ford and taken over number 2 spot behind GM. This is no fluke. Toyota,Nissan,Honda have been chipping away for years and it's slowly paying off for them. I believe the only one sector of the market that Toyota,Nissan and Honda have not been able to penetrate is the pick-up truck market. The Big 3 still have a stranglehold on it. But that as we all know can quickly change if the Big 3 aren't careful. The main reason why our plant is closing is because of market share. Ford just over 10 years ago used to have 25% of market share between cars and trucks.
They now are down under 20%. For every percentage point they lose in market share it translates to approximately 1 assembly plant closing. Ford announced 2 years ago it was closing 3 assembly plants in the U.S. and our plant in Canada. I believe and it's only my opinion the Ford,GM and Daimler/Chrysler hurt themselves. Their arrogance along with short term visions put them where they are today. Sorry, I'm just venting I know I got a little off topic but I think you get my drift.

Later SVT

Hey 99WhiteBeast;
Let me know when your coming to Oakville and I'll personally show you around. Try to come before May1/04 because we are ending the Lightning build at the end of April/04.

Later SVT

Hey TX SVTLIGHTNING and Gregg Evans;
I'll post some more pics when I get back to work.

Hey TTA89;
Not only KC builds the new f-150 but so does Norfolk. Come next August/04 Dearborn will also start building it.

Hey f150freak;
I don't think I can find the information your looking for on the PPH trucks. When we first launched the Gen2 lightnings back in 98 the very first 4 trucks built were shipped to Detroit for testing as I remember it. I don't believe they were even serial numbered, so I doubt they could be sold to the public. After those 4 pilot units were built I think we went ahead with regular production. When I get back to work I'll see if I can find out anymore.

Later SVT

Somehow I think GM's definition of PPH is different from Ford. I work for a GM assembly plant and they record a weekly average for the Problems Per Hundred of all the trucks of the model year. Such as the plant where I work the PPH on any given week hovers around the low 30s. For me the question is just out of plain curiosity because of the small problems I have had (horn, drivers side window motor, and Starter).

Last edited:
We have made this a separate section and made svt a moderator....thanks svt!:tu:

...Dwight...

I was wondering if there was a problem with some of the cylinder heads being warped on the 5.4 engines. The reason I ask is because there is a film of fluid on the block under my head. If so has Ford done anything about this? Thanks.

;m

Trevis

Toyota #2

svt said:
Happy New Year to all of you;
Hey Redfox; I know it's hard to admit for any of us but the Nissan's and Toyota's of the world are doing the little things right and better than the Big 3 that the consumers like and are looking for in a vehicle. As everyone knows Toyota is now moved ahead of Ford and taken over number 2 spot behind GM. This is no fluke. Toyota,Nissan,Honda have been chipping away for years and it's slowly paying off for them. I believe the only one sector of the market that Toyota,Nissan and Honda have not been able to penetrate is the pick-up truck market. The Big 3 still have a stranglehold on it. But that as we all know can quickly change if the Big 3 aren't careful. The main reason why our plant is closing is because of market share. Ford just over 10 years ago used to have 25% of market share between cars and trucks.
They now are down under 20%. For every percentage point they lose in market share it translates to approximately 1 assembly plant closing. Ford announced 2 years ago it was closing 3 assembly plants in the U.S. and our plant in Canada. I believe and it's only my opinion the Ford,GM and Daimler/Chrysler hurt themselves. Their arrogance along with short term visions put them where they are today. Sorry, I'm just venting I know I got a little off topic but I think you get my drift.

Later SVT

Happy New Year SVT,
Very interesting observations.

Back in 1980, when I was in University we did an analysis of Toyota's strategic vision including their 50 year plan. Talk about a long term vision!!! Well, if my memory is correct, at that time Toyota was 10th largest auto manufacturer in the world and their ultimate objective was to become #1 in the world within 30 years.
Everything they did was focused on GM. They weren't even focused on Ford or anyone else.

Now 30 years later, GM's world market share has been reduced by two thirds and Toyota is now #2 in the world and financially significantly stronger than GM.

With 6 years left on their 30 year objective, I would say they are right on track.

This speaks volume on long term strategic planning. Not all Japanese manufacturer have been winners. Nissan did not execute as well and are now majority controlled by Renault. On the other hand, Honda and Toyota are clear winners.

In North America, Chrysler is part of the Daimler portfolio, which is considerable. GM and Ford will continue to be significantly challenged in the coming years. The gloves are off...

Red;)

SVT Like Greg said how do you get photos in the plant? I work for Toyota at the Tundra/Sequoia/ Sienna plant and it takes an act of god for the average employee to bring in a camera. The only way I could get pics would be witha company camera and copy them to disc.
What do you do at the plant?

Hey f150freak;
Now I understand what you were asking about. Your right we don't call it PPH at Ford we instead call it TGW, which stands for
"Things Gone Wrong". Once upon a time it was posted for everyone to see but for some reason it's not anymore. As for your problems with your truck I can't say I've heard about anyone of those issues being a widespread problem. Maybe some of the guys on these threads can answer the question better.
Later SVT

Hey Big D;
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you out for making me a moderator. I'll do my best to try and keep up with the answers to the questions.

Thanks I think!!!SVT

Hey fastcat83;
I really can't help you with that question. The engines come completely built to us from the Windsor essex engine plant in Windsor Ontario. We just install them, run them for an average of no more then 15 minutes and then ship them. We never see a cylinder head leak. The warranty claims and warranty issues would be sent back to Windsor.

SVT

Later SVT

Hey BDAZSVT:
Your the second guy who's asked what me I do at the plant.
Let's just say I carry some weight!!

Thanks SVT

The engines come completely built to us from the Windsor essex engine plant in Windsor Ontario

Hi. I work for Ford in Windsor. Your a little off on the plant that builds the 5.4L engine. It is actually made at on the LVL (low volume line) at Windsor Engine Plant 2. Essex Engine builds the 3.8 & 4.2 V6 for the Windstar and such. Essex Engine has just recently expanded with a MVL line to do the 5.4 3 valve head assembly though so maybe that's what you might of heard in relation to the 5.4l engine.:)

Cast crankshafts in Gen II Lightnings?

A reliable source claims that SOME Gen II Lightnings left the factory with cast crankshafts installed. Specifically 2002 L's. The reason was to attempt to absorb some of the extreme load that the rods undergo. The thought was that the very slight flex of the cast crank would absorb some of this load therefore reducing rod load. Is there any truth that some Lightnings left the factory with cast cranks? What year was was most involved? Approximately how many left with cast cranks. Can you tell me if my VIN has a cast or a forged crank installed? I look forward to your reply.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin
email: vipereater@cox.net

Last edited:
Hey Vipereater;
I personally can't answer that question on cast crankshafts. What I did is passed the question onto 2001SVT who actually works at one of the engine plants in Windsor. Hopefully he can shed some light on that issue.

Thanks SVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back