Holley fuel pump sending unit

Well started working on putting the Holley fuel pump in when I found that my 8 month old tank was rusted up.
Any suggestions on how to remove the surface rust on the inside of the tank?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Just get a new tank it's not worth the trouble plus you'll never get it all out. Next up is to figure out why an 8 month old tank rusted.

Just get a new tank it's not worth the trouble plus you'll never get it all out. Next up is to figure out why an 8 month old tank rusted.
I have no idea. I'm in South Alabama and we have high humidity but it lives inside my shop year around. To the best of my knowledge I've never ran e10 gas. I try and always run 100% gas just due to the fact the truck tends to sit for long periods of time. The tank came from O'Reillys.

POR15 tank kit. Used them on classic motorcycle tanks, great stuff, 3 step process, start early it takes all day.
Don't get the final product on anything, you have to grind it off after it cures.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

O'Reillys is going to give me a new tank. At first they wasn't going to warranty it but the manager approved it.

POR15 tank kit. Used them on classic motorcycle tanks, great stuff, 3 step process, start early it takes all day.
Don't get the final product on anything, you have to grind it off after it cures.

That's for the outside of the tank, isn't it? POR-15 is some tough stuff, but I'm not sure how it'd do in constant contact with gasoline?

Hard to figure rust on the inside of the gas tank, especially if it was on the floor. Even with E-whatever, the condensed water would also have to be in contact with air, which generally doesn't happen at the bottom of the tank.

That's for the outside of the tank, isn't it? POR-15 is some tough stuff, but I'm not sure how it'd do in constant contact with gasoline?

Hard to figure rust on the inside of the gas tank, especially if it was on the floor. Even with E-whatever, the condensed water would also have to be in contact with air, which generally doesn't happen at the bottom of the tank.
I got about 5 gallons out of the tank. It is literally rusted everywhere. I'll try and get some pictures tonight.

This is what the inside of the tank looks like.
fb01f61a0fe0c114a6f8e49c92faaa1c.jpg
aecf4a45616b5de1baa80b5c1e9aca7c.jpg
fcf0216f466bc14b9c197adbbabd0420.jpg

It is designed for inside the tank. Works great, not sure about E85, but no issues with E10.

This is what the inside of the tank looks like.
fb01f61a0fe0c114a6f8e49c92faaa1c.jpg
aecf4a45616b5de1baa80b5c1e9aca7c.jpg
fcf0216f466bc14b9c197adbbabd0420.jpg

That's nothing compared to the tanks I have seen repaired. Looks like surface rust. You would probably be fine with Evaporust, $30. To reseal is with POR15 would cost $120.

That's nothing compared to the tanks I have seen repaired. Looks like surface rust. You would probably be fine with Evaporust, $30. To reseal is with POR15 would cost $120.

I’m wondering if I may have some surface rust in my tank as well. What is Evaporust and where can I get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my OEM tank in storage. I'm tempted to drag it out and look inside of it after 20 years.

My pleasure, works best with media of different sizes. If you have a random bucket of bolts and nuts dump them in. They will help remove scaling.

I got the new tank. What are yalls thoughts on coating the inside to keep this tank from rusting? Or did I just get a bad tank?

I got the new tank. What are yalls thoughts on coating the inside to keep this tank from rusting? Or did I just get a bad tank?

It wouldn't hurt anything. Just remember that it will need to be cleaned and etched to ensure the coating sticks. I promote POR15 because I have used it with great success in the past. They have tank coating kits.

Back