Hi, new member w/1993 5spd here!

Dosfastfords

Hello everyone, I just got my first Lightning which is a Red 1993. Along with a 87 Mustang GT (yes have a lot going on) it will be a project for us. We want to first get everything mechanically sound and/or upgraded. Then work on cosmetics. Super excited!!!

Until I tear into it there is a lot I don’t know about this truck. Wondering if anyone here has seen it as it’s pretty unique from what I have been reading on the forums here.

It’s been converted to a 5 spd manual. And the motor has been converted to carb. Def will have some questions! First I am thinking is it worth changing back to some type of fuel injection or why was it converted in the first place.

This is all I was told from previous owner:
5.8L V8 Original block converted to Carburetor
Roller Rockers
5 speed conversion
Hooker heads
Cammed
New Exhaust

Thanks!
John

Attachments

• DE14F598-1EC5-4D4A-AE65-0C744B1D206C.jpeg
    DE14F598-1EC5-4D4A-AE65-0C744B1D206C.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 23C07997-9B4B-47A9-95B3-55F8D1767FB8.jpeg
    23C07997-9B4B-47A9-95B3-55F8D1767FB8.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 18
  • 0102950C-20F1-4B2F-A49A-9679D97ED01C.jpeg
    0102950C-20F1-4B2F-A49A-9679D97ED01C.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 21
  • B2A991ED-EA6B-4F7E-A37A-79F1B54683B0.jpeg
    B2A991ED-EA6B-4F7E-A37A-79F1B54683B0.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 20
Fun stuff! And welcome.

If it's just a toy and a fair weather driver, then I don't see any pressing need to mess with the carb. If you intend to drive it year round and you actually have seasons, EFI will be a lot easier to live with over time.

Both the 5-speed conversion and the "cammed" means that the stock computer was almost certainly going to have to be changed, so he just went the easy route with the manual transmission.

Thanks! I live in south Texas and only plan to drive it on weekends here and there but def throughout the year.

That helped, it prob makes more sense to leave it carb for now and see how it goes. I can use that $ for other things & down the road can look into EFI. Def on a budget as have a 1987 Mustang GT we’re also trying to build.

Makes sense on the “easy route with the manual”. That is what I gathered reading the threads on here.

I got a lot to learn but can’t wait! Appreciate y’all’s help, cheers🍻

Nice! Welcome here!

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought 93 blocks could not be roller converted. So maybe not original block from this truck?

Thanks BONESTOCK! Yeah I need look at the markings on the block as a start and at some point will be pulling the motor and see what it’s got. I have no idea how many miles are on the motor and don’t really know much that’s gone into this truck at this point until I start tearing into it. Cheers!

Sounds like a fun setup. my truck has been converted to a 5 speed aswell and I very much enjoy it. Which transmission is in yours? Stock style EFI and the 5 speed are possible. but it would really depend on your future goals which direction to go. If the carb runs good and seem to be reliable I would probably put it further down the list of important upgrades.

FlatOut thanks! I am sure I will have some questions for you if you don’t mind.

I def want to keep the 5spd! And I agree with you guys prob better to keep the carb for now at least as I have things that def need replacing to spend my money on. I want to make sure the motor is in good shape, and some things like the suspension and brakes need replacing so that is going to be on top of my list.

I will start looking a bit tomorrow and see what I can find on the motor and tranny and report back.
John

Thanks BONESTOCK! Yeah I need look at the markings on the block as a start and at some point will be pulling the motor and see what it’s got. I have no idea how many miles are on the motor and don’t really know much that’s gone into this truck at this point until I start tearing into it. Cheers!

They can be converted, they just require link bar lifters instead of Mustang cast off parts. Or a reduced base circle cam. A few ways to skin that particular cat.

They can be converted, they just require link bar lifters instead of Mustang cast off parts. Or a reduced base circle cam. A few ways to skin that particular cat.
Found the block info it’s a F4TE-6015-AA-8, but the tag on the side of the tranny was pretty toast. So looks like it’s not a stock Lightning block.

FD632977-6E63-4A1E-BAE2-B0647E5D510D.jpeg57EE570A-9BF9-4766-B151-B7B3C96FA2FB.jpeg

Don't make that assumption, F4TE blocks made their way in to some of the later 93's. So having that is not proof it's not original.

Back