Hey Tech-Heads ... Opinions Wanted

bumperquip

My ipad mini (1st generation) took a dump and has become totally unusable.

I've got an opportunity to buy, for a darn good price, a replacement (ipad mini 1st generation) that's supposedly never been used, never been opened, BNIB.

If this is truly the case (BNIB), is a possibly 6 year old uncharged Lithium Polymer battery still be any good?

My ipad mini (1st generation) took a dump and has become totally unusable.

I've got an opportunity to buy, for a darn good price, a replacement (ipad mini 1st generation) that's supposedly never been used, never been opened, BNIB.

If this is truly the case (BNIB), is a possibly 6 year old uncharged Lithium Polymer battery still be any good?
That would be a gamble most of them don't like to be discharged for long periods. It may come back may not. But my concern would be Apple's forced obscelescence strategy. It is already planned to be locked to iOS 9. So within about a years time it likely won't be able to run many apps that require security updates of future iOS versions. Just something to consider. I have an iPad 1 and it's utterly useless aside from Apple store purchases. But even that is getting dodgy. I'd suggest updating to a newer version.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hardware-wise it might be fine, but as mentioned it's the damn software. I have a gen 1 ipad that I planned on putting in a picture frame holder and was going to run my security camera software on it. That way it could sit in our bookcase and look at home while displaying what was going on outside. **BUT** the stupid software wont run on the older ipad, wont even let me download it from the app store...

This thread makes me glad that I refuse to buy any Apple products.
I like Apple computers but haven't owned an iPhone since the 4. I hate Microsoft with a passion but have to have mainstream compatibility. If I could I'd just use Linux but its not possible with SCT and some other stuff. My MacBook has taken a beating though and still runs like new. I've killed 3 pc laptops in the 5 years I've had my MacBook.

What’s the price?

I’d be more worried about Apple sun setting support for that model more than the battery. I just picked up a 32 gig 2017 version iPad, regular size last week for $250. This one is replacing an 8 year old model. The cost of a new unit spread out of the length of time I plan to keep it makes it look cheap.

93blackbeauty; said:
I like Apple computers but haven't owned an iPhone since the 4. I hate Microsoft with a passion but have to have mainstream compatibility. If I could I'd just use Linux but its not possible with SCT and some other stuff. My MacBook has taken a beating though and still runs like new. I've killed 3 pc laptops in the 5 years I've had my MacBook.

I love my MacBook Pro running boot camp with Windows 7. I have the best of both worlds!

I love my MacBook Pro running boot camp with Windows 7. I have the best of both worlds!
I run parallels with a virtual copy of 10 for tuning. Not super thrilled though sometimes it takes a few tries for the usb to crossover to Windows 10. May have to try boot camp.

You have to reboot the computer when switching between iOS and windows with Boot Camp
Oh ok. Its not terrible just have to fiddle a bit but once it's connected it's golden. Love it though. And aluminum seems to hold up better than plastic cases in the shop.

Go to Newegg.com or your fav online retailer and get a refurb of the current or 1-previous model — it won’t be quite as cheap, but you’ll get a LOT more use out of it.

Go to Newegg.com or your fav online retailer and get a refurb of the current or 1-previous model — it won’t be quite as cheap, but you’ll get a LOT more use out of it.

Fred,

That's kinda why I was attracted to the BNIB unit selling for $120.

I've been reading reviews about the refurbished units and assuming those reviews are actually for real and true, the condition of those units seems to be quit hit or miss.

I've reached out a couple of retailers asking if returns are O.K. if I'm unhappy with the condition.

Back