hemi's

chag68

I put a L motor into a 99 F-150 4x4 and it is the ultimate sleeper. There are a lot of 4x4 Hemi's and some are chipped, cat backs, etc. I'm getting known now, as everyone wants to know who the Blue Ford is and what's done to the truck, as I haven't lost to one Hemi or Bowties either. Even smoked a older 454SS, it wasn't even a race. lol. Feels Good!!!:D

I finally downloaded pictures. I had to shrink them in a email to myself and save them back in pictures. Scroll down towards the 2nd page to see more.:eek:ldtu:

Last edited:
Gotta love sleepers. I love the idea, my mom had a 98 f150 4x4 that she was thinking about getting rid of that I thought about doing this with. She traded it for a truck that could better tow for our business, so I had to say g-day to it.

Heck lots of people used to completely underestimate my 94L and think it was easy pickens. *evil grin* not likely.

Good job, keep the blue oval right side up.
Chris

oh yeah, I enjoy playing with the hemi's. When they nail it off a light, go the same speed, then look at them and smile, then floor it and burn the tires past them. Gets em every time

Sounds like a nice sleeper you have Chag! An AWD Lightning is something that should have been available.:eek:ldtu:

thats exactly what I wanted to do with my 98 daily driver.

would love to also see build pics if you have them. let me know if you need help posting them.

thats exactly what I wanted to do with my 98 daily driver.

would love to also see build pics if you have them. let me know if you need help posting them.

Need some help, downloaded about a dozen pics and only 2 came up, how can this be done quickly or is it a time consuming deal? Would like to show some of the install.

Last edited:
an old thread, but I was wonderin'...

OP, what kind of numbers are you seeing. I just did a similar swap to my 01 F150. Love the sleeper :eek:ldtu:

smoked a new short wide sporty hemi last weekend in my first gen, it was fun, at the next stoplight he asked me what that whine noise was, I just told him I was low on power steering fluid!

New Hemi trucks aren't what they're cracked up to be I've noticed. Few of my buddies have the 2003, 2007 and a 2010. We all raced twice today, the older Hemis were a joke, new Hemi truck put up a fight for a while, then all he saw was my tail lights. They all thought I was hidding NOS somewhere, not. And after 110 to about 119 mph all of the Hemis broke out and I walked on by, hahaha...
3 Hemi kills today.

:)
That's awesome, where did you get the Lightning motor from?

:grin1: Hi, I travelled down to Detroit believe or not to pick the L motor up.It was a new unfired crate motor. Spent time on ebay and on this site to pick up all the little pieces to complete the project. One thing, if any one wants to use the 255 lph pumps from TREperformance, forget it, mine got about 7500 miles on it and just quit. Did some research, and it turns out they are not so good. Wouldn't return phone calls or email. Going to try the Holley pump. If that turns out to be a turd also, I guess I'll run the heavier wire and go with the Lightning dual pump set up. The swap was pretty straight forward. Hardest part was the tuning. The Sniper Force was a learning curve in itself, but worth it. Anybody have a idea what a 1999 F150 SC 4X4 with a 7500 mile stock L motor in it might be worth? Thinking of something else.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing those pics if you have them.

upload here
Uploader.WS - Free file uploader

then copy the
part into your rmessage.

more pictures

This fan was off a Windstar, I just reworked the right side to fit the stock rad, wired them up using relay's and switches. works great.
I need to thank everyone on this site who sold me the little parts, and for some of the tips I was able to get by reading all the submissions. The Sniper Force site was also a great site, as that is what I tuned with and I sure learned lots. It was fun because I like a challenge, and nobody in this area has a 4x4 Lightning!!!! lol My friend who works at the local Ford dealer was just amazed, he stated that he knows no one who plays with these motors in town.No one plays with the mod motors. Hope the pictures are enjoyed by everyone. Message me if you have any questions on maybe doing this yourself. It's worth it. Neat toy. OH yeah, the wires have been cleaned up and tucked away after I was happy everything worked.

Last edited:
Back