Help! Tranny? rattle

hotrod66stang

resU deretsigeR
I've got a weird noise coming from under my truck. It only happens when the truck is moving, which has me suspecting the tranny. Actually, I have a couple noises that just began. The first is a semi-whine noise that only occurs in "R" at low speeds. When you push the accelerator, it goes away. At first, I believed the second noise to come at random times, but now I believe it's happening mostly upon acceleration (never during deceleration), and either right before or right after the transmission shifts. This noise is a kind of metal "crackle," or light "rattle." I'm not 100% sure of any of this, since I have to be moving and accelerating to hear it. Please help me try and diagnose this if y'all have had any similar trouble. I'm 200 miles from tools and anyone I know that could help me with this. I really appreciate it.

1994 Lightning
stock 5.8L w/ 180,800 miles
tranny has had work done, but I don't believe it's been fully rebuilt
Aftermarket exhaust w/o cats (thought it might be loose heat shields, but they're not there)

I also am hearing a rattle in my 94. Mostly hear it around 1200-1600 RPM when slowly accelerating and under 30MPH. I had the shop drop the valve body in my tranny last time I had the fluid and filter changed and investigate a hard shifting problem for me a while back. They said everything looked great and put it back together. The tranny worked great for a couple of weeks and now it's back to the rattle and low speed harsh shifts on occasion during stop and go commuting. I've decided to live with it until I find time and $$ for an rebuild. I was told that most of the internal parts were obsolete and would have to be replaced with newer versions for these trannies. I don't know how much of this is true but I figure I'll live with the rattle and occasional hard shift until someone can explain WTH is actually wrong with the tranny.

yeah, I searched on this site, but never found any definitive info. My truck had the cats removed, so it's not a loose shield. I'm almost positive it's the tranny since it only does it when it's moving. I'm just not sure if I should go pay $70 for a tranny flush, if that won't do anything for me.

I also am hearing a rattle in my 94. Mostly hear it around 1200-1600 RPM when slowly accelerating and under 30MPH. I had the shop drop the valve body in my tranny last time I had the fluid and filter changed and investigate a hard shifting problem for me a while back. They said everything looked great and put it back together. The tranny worked great for a couple of weeks and now it's back to the rattle and low speed harsh shifts on occasion during stop and go commuting. I've decided to live with it until I find time and $$ for an rebuild. I was told that most of the internal parts were obsolete and would have to be replaced with newer versions for these trannies. I don't know how much of this is true but I figure I'll live with the rattle and occasional hard shift until someone can explain WTH is actually wrong with the tranny.

Your tranny is going into limp mode. Do you have CEL?

No CEL. The shifting issue comes and goes on it's own, mostly in stop and go traffic at low speeds. It also seems like shifting into neutral and back into gear helps for a short while. Still scratching my head on this one.

The rattle noise is all but gone now. I found the transmission crossmember mount washers loose, so torguing the nuts tightened that up and the rattle noise is all but gone now.

Back