Help! Chicago Emissions Testing

I just got back from the Currency Exchange, and the woman at the counter noticed the truck was registered to a diff address. She asked me about it, and I told her thats where I store the truck. She then asked me which address I want the sticker registered to! Lol! Of course the one that doesnt require emissions! Done...and...done. I have my PO box set up to send me an email if anything appears in there, and I was half expecting to have to make the drive to go get the new renewal card, but the state sent the renewal card to my real address anyway. Sstock is right, this may be the only way around this circus in the near future. It did work pretty well. So well in fact that I might have to do the same for my winter-beater suv. Cheers guys! Thanks for the support!

Well I finally went for my test today and it looked identical to yours Will... The guy's asked if it was stock kind of laughing at each other. I just put it back to stock tune and I'll see if the CEL light comes on... If not it should pass next weekend but I'm thinking the CEL light will probably come on... I may take it to my work and have the mechanic hook up his scanner and see if the cats and 02's start reading... My adventure begins... Anybody want to buy a low mileage '99 Lightning???

Your tuner will send you an emissions tune for free. He will just need to know what's on the truck and the number off the ecm.
I don't think my truck would have run on the stock tune because of the bigger MAF etc.

If you can swing it, buy a code reader with readiness monitor capabilities. (I've used mine for several other issues already) Drive around with it plugged in, and don't bring the truck back for testing until most of the monitors are ready. Since yours is a 99 you get to have two not ready. A few of the monitors take a long time and certain conditions to run. Certain fuel levels, cold start followed by steady highway speeds within a few miles, etc,etc.

If you need to borrow my code reader we can figure out how to get it to you.

Info from the state epa page...
Remember, vehicles are rejected when more than two non-continuous readiness monitors are “not ready” for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, or when more than one non-continuous readiness monitor is “not ready” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles. Additionally, the catalyst monitor must be “ready” at the time of any re-test after a vehicle failed an initial test for any catalyst code.

http://www.epa.illinois.gov/topics/...rces/vehicle-emissions-testing/faqs/obd/index

Thanks Will... I drove it about 20-30 miles today before sitting in line for about 30 minutes at the Emission center. I guess if I have to I'll contact Bob and have him send me it but this truck was driven less than 100 miles last year and 20-30 miles this year... Worst case scenario I'll title and plate it in Belvidere with no emission testing and just have my buddy send me the paperwork for renewal sticker if it they even send that anymore. I also have a bigger maf sensor and at first after putting it to stock tune it felt like it was misfiring but after a minute or 2 of idling it smoothed out. I'll drive it maybe to work 1 day this week and see if my mechanic can monitor the system's and if by next weekend no check engine light is on and system's are ready I'll take it back and have it re-checked. If not I'll have to get a hold of Bob Kurgan and see if he can send me an emission tune. I'll just have to baby this thing and not get on the boost as I don't want to buy an engine for this thing...

Well I ran it 2 times this week and tonight I took it out to make sure it wouldn't stall with the factory tune and the bigger MAF and believe it or not the truck actually runs better with the factory tune than the custom tune? Now with that being said I didn't get into any boost but with the custom tune the idle will surge because the MAF sensor is designed for a 600+ hp vehicle. No check engine light and I drove it probably 10 miles tonight. Going to take it to work and have the mechanic hook up his Snap-On scanner and see if the O2's and cats come on and show they are working/ready. I hope this works.

Update. Went to take it to work on 05/13/16 and by the time I got from my house to the main road the CEL came on. Had mechanic at work check it out and it had lean code(s) P0171-P0174. Driver side downstream O2 wasn't reading so replaced it. He tested it and it was working after replacement. Drove it home without CEL coming back on and as I pulled into my driveway the CEL came back on with same code(s) as above. Replaced the oil breather cap with the original style oil cap and went in and updated factory tune with a customized tune with the 60 lb injectors and a few other thing and then cleared the light. On 05/14/16 I drove the truck about 50 miles and then when the CEL didn't pop back on I took it back in for emission test. IT PASSED. Drove it home and reinstalled Bob's dyno tune for the truck. Now I have until 03/17 until next test.

Back