Help! Chicago Emissions Testing

Octane

Well, I kinda expected this to happen, but I don't really know the best way to get around/through it. Any proven help would be greatly appreciated.

Bought my 02 HD Truck last year. Previously owned by a member on NHTOC (I'm asking on that site as well, but thought you Lightning guys might have some additional insight) who installed a cat-back and a Sniper tune. Since I've had it, I installed a JLT intake, and long tube headers. I am not running any cats on the truck, but all the O2 sensors are "in" (primaries are in the header collectors, and secondaries are in the bungs that I had welded into the midpipes). My official emissions testing date is Oct. 31, but I brought it in early for giggles, and to give myself more time if I didn't pass. The test came back as "'Rejected" (not "failed", but can result in the same revocation of registration after enough unsuccessful attempts). 20150729_183532.jpg
I was planning on buying an SCT tuner anyhow, possibly from Lethal Performance, and having one or two custom tunes added in with the canned tunes. One tune for "passing emissions" and one tune performance geared particularly to my mods. My question is, does anyone have any experience with any custom tuners that can make a tune so that all my systems register as "on" but I can still pass emissions? I don't want to put cats on it, but if it's necessary I guess I'd do it. I know of guys running straight exhausts with MIL elims on their mustangs and they pass no problem. My truck doesn't throw any codes and I don't have any check engine lights on currently, and the emissions testing around Chicago do not do any sniff tests, visual inspections or tire-rolling tests, so this should just be a matter of temporarily tricking the computer. Any one have any suggestions or have been through something similar? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like California is moving east too. I wrote this in 08 about a guy that couldn't pass emissions.:
" It isnt as easy as turning off the rear 02's or disabling emission items in the tune. EPA has trumped all that in California, it is in Washington too and I'm sure in many other populated states as well. It is called the sensor readiness test. Yes, Let me tell you. I tune a small amount of trucks up here in the PAC NW. Recently a truck went to get the emission test and failed even before the OBD2 check or codes were even run. Seems they now check for referenced voltage from all sensors. If an emission device has been disabled in the tune such as an egr, then the sensor will not pass the readiness test. Another thing, once dtc's have been cleared then you get the P1000 code until the vehicle can get through its drive cycle. The drive cycle consists of tests for sensor readiness, you cannot pass an emission test with this technology if you have the P1000 code, where as before you could. A buddy is putting his emission devices back in and we are enabling in the tune to pass. Brace yourself Betty things are changing, hope you guys didnt throw your emission devices away."

Thanks for including your test results, the fact that emission items are "unsupported" is failing you. Tells the tester that it is turned off in the tune. No tune is going to get around this, you are screwed. The testers have gotten wise to this. Start putting back the emission equipment.

Steve

I think im going to have some issues with my 302 ranger as well.

I was debating getting a PO box out west in a non emissions zone and registering it there

They used to allow 2-3 running monitors but I believe its been changed in the last 3-4 years

Lucky for you I just finished going through all this BS myself! And by my screen name you can see I’m from Chicago.
Here’s the deal… The tune that’s in your truck has the “readiness monitors/sensors” turned off. I have had the same tune in my truck since 2006 and it always passed before with those readings stating “not supported”. When I went this April I was rejected for the first time ever. As of 2014 (or late 2013) they have been requiring all of that stuff to be turned on.
After much research and gnashing of teeth, I found out what to do. I contacted my tuner and he emailed me an “emissions only tune” with explicit instructions not to “get on it” while this tune is installed. I also bought a scan tool that showed the readiness monitors and whether they had run or not. It was about $100, but I figured I can use it for other tasks too.
Anyhow… I loaded the tune and started doing the drive cycles. Now that the monitors were turned on I hit a couple snags. First had to replace my rear O2 sensors, then I found out I had a large EVAP system leak. (connector popped off the charcoal canister) Each time I had a pending code I had to clear the system and start over again. Turns out the EVAP monitor is the hardest to set ready. Has to be done from a cold start (8 hours plus) and you need to get on the highway before the truck fully warms up. Then you need to cruise smoothly at 55-60 for ten minutes with a ¼ to ¾ tank of gas.
Here’s what I’m wondering about with your truck having no cats. I have high flow cats and after 300 miles, I was never able to get the CAT monitor to run. However it never popped a code either.
I found out that you are allowed one monitor “not ready” for a 2001 or newer vehicle. The only twist is… that if you fail a test because a CAT code, the CAT readiness monitor cannot be the one “not ready”. In my case (and yours) we did not “fail” a test, we were “rejected”.
So… just the other day I went in with the CAT monitor still “not ready” and I passed! I guess if you can get all the other monitors ready and not pop a CAT code, then you will pass too.
TLDR… Get an “emissions tune” and a scan tool with readiness monitor display; run the drive cycles and watch as the monitors become ready or you pop a code; if the CAT one is the last one not run, rush over to the testing station.
Oh yeah... after this is done, load the performance tune back in and return to having fun for the next two years!

Lucky for you I just finished going through all this BS myself! And by my screen name you can see I’m from Chicago.
Here’s the deal… The tune that’s in your truck has the “readiness monitors/sensors” turned off. I have had the same tune in my truck since 2006 and it always passed before with those readings stating “not supported”. When I went this April I was rejected for the first time ever. As of 2014 (or late 2013) they have been requiring all of that stuff to be turned on.
After much research and gnashing of teeth, I found out what to do. I contacted my tuner and he emailed me an “emissions only tune” with explicit instructions not to “get on it” while this tune is installed. I also bought a scan tool that showed the readiness monitors and whether they had run or not. It was about $100, but I figured I can use it for other tasks too.
Anyhow… I loaded the tune and started doing the drive cycles. Now that the monitors were turned on I hit a couple snags. First had to replace my rear O2 sensors, then I found out I had a large EVAP system leak. (connector popped off the charcoal canister) Each time I had a pending code I had to clear the system and start over again. Turns out the EVAP monitor is the hardest to set ready. Has to be done from a cold start (8 hours plus) and you need to get on the highway before the truck fully warms up. Then you need to cruise smoothly at 55-60 for ten minutes with a ¼ to ¾ tank of gas.
Here’s what I’m wondering about with your truck having no cats. I have high flow cats and after 300 miles, I was never able to get the CAT monitor to run. However it never popped a code either.
I found out that you are allowed one monitor “not ready” for a 2001 or newer vehicle. The only twist is… that if you fail a test because a CAT code, the CAT readiness monitor cannot be the one “not ready”. In my case (and yours) we did not “fail” a test, we were “rejected”.
So… just the other day I went in with the CAT monitor still “not ready” and I passed! I guess if you can get all the other monitors ready and not pop a CAT code, then you will pass too.
TLDR… Get an “emissions tune” and a scan tool with readiness monitor display; run the drive cycles and watch as the monitors become ready or you pop a code; if the CAT one is the last one not run, rush over to the testing station.
Oh yeah... after this is done, load the performance tune back in and return to having fun for the next two years!

That is interesting. What tuning software are you using on your truck? I need to do something similar for my 96 f150. It has high flow cats but no egr or secondary air injection set up.

Will,
About the only thing you didn't do is stand on one leg and cross your fingers. My bet he will never pass without the cats and the redundant 02s. The scanner idea is pretty solid. Were you getting a P1000 and if so did it eventually turn off?

@ droppedf100; I just have an old SCT Xcal. Tuning adjustments are a mystery to me so I let my tuner handle that. I just loaded what he sent me.

@ sstock; Sounds like he has both O2s, but they are shut off? The readiness tests seem to run in a certain order and it also seemed like they wouldn't progress while there was a "pending code". Once I fixed the EVAP leak, that test ran as soon as I had 5 highway miles (from a cold start). So, I'm wondering if his O2 monitor will hold off throwing a code until that drive cycle runs. That one was supposed to be highway then stop and go traffic. But as I said mine new ran or threw a code.

I bought my scanner at Autozone while it was on sale and had a rebate. I think I paid around $100. It never showed a P1000 code but it has a yellow light that shows the readiness monitors are not finished, and it flashes the not finished ones in read. I've attached a pic from when it still had the EVAP code pending.
scanner.jpgsheet.jpg

Thank you very much for that info! I talked to Jon Lund at Lund Racing, and he said I will definitely need to put cats back on it. Dammit. Time to cough up some money for the Kooks Green Cats I'm thinking. I'm glad you told me about the drive cycles and what not...because I have an Actron Scan tool that I was hoping to use to clear all the codes right before testing (after reinstalling factory tune), but it sounds like that wouldn't have worked anyway.
Can I ask, who did that "emissions tune" for you? I need to buy a tuner and get rolling on this pretty quickly.

That "P.O. box in a county that doesn't do emissions testing" is also a pretty sweet idea. I'd almost rather do that then put the cats back on and go through all this BS if I can avoid it... Anyone ever do that and have it actually work?
Regardless, I'm going to need a new tune anyhow, so I may as well attempt it the "right" way. I've been eyeballing the SCT X4, but I don't really know who to go with when it comes to getting custom tunes made for my truck (particularly one that will help me pass emissions).

If you do the po box, you may have to change your instate driver's license to the po box as well. At least it is that way here. These state emission laws have gotten wise to all the end arounds.

@ Octane; My tuners name is in my signature. He moved his shop out of state, but still comes here a few times a year to do dyno tunes. A dyno tune is the safest way to go, but I don't think there are many Ford guys around here anymore. I'm sure he can sell you a tuner loaded with a couple tunes though.

You could have flanges added between the cats and the rest of your exhaust. That way you can pop them back out after the testing is done. You might even be able to rent/share the converters with your pals.

There is a race/show car waiver available. You'd need an affidavit signed by your insurance agent, and I bet that would open a whole nother can of worms. ;-)

The spend $4??.00 in repairs waiver won't count for this since the cats were "tampered with".

If you run out of time, you can get up to a four month extension on your registration. This also bumps up the emissions test. (one time only deal)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Well, I went and got a PO Box out in boofoo today. Going to try that route first. Simultaneously I am going to get myself a tuner, AND apply for the race/show car waiver. Attack from all angles I say, lol. I'll let everybody know what happens.

Well, I went and got a PO Box out in boofoo today. Going to try that route first. Simultaneously I am going to get myself a tuner, AND apply for the race/show car waiver. Attack from all angles I say, lol. I'll let everybody know what happens.

Went that route also, my buddy live in a town of 800 so I registered it to his address.

Took 5 minutes online, bought my sticker a few hours later, cost $4 to change the registration address. my license still has my home address

Digging the PO Box thing... I was living in Rockford and no emissions out there... Now that I'm living back in Lombard there is emission's so I'm hoping my truck passes but it has only come out of the garage 1 time this year... Worst case scenerio my buddy still lives out that way so I'll just register it back there with no emissions... Glad you got everything worked out with your's Will...

I forget if you have cats on yours or not. Check to see if the readiness monitors are turned on. If not, Bob will send you an emissions tune. Because yours is a 1999 you'll be allowed two "not readies". I'm wondering if you have all four O2's and no cats, can you get down to two "not readies" before it trips a CAT or O2 code?

http://www.epa.illinois.gov/topics/...rces/vehicle-emissions-testing/faqs/obd/index

Remember, vehicles are rejected when more than two non-continuous readiness monitors are “not ready” for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, or when more than one non-continuous readiness monitor is “not ready” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles. Additionally, the catalyst monitor must be “ready” at the time of any re-test after a vehicle failed an initial test for any catalyst code

That's good to know... Thanks Will... My exhaust is JBA shorties to stock mid-pipes with all 4 cats still in place and then to a Magnaflow muffler... I did have a period of time when the check engine light was on for 02's but when Bob did the dyno tune the light never came back on... I think either my canned tune from JDM was a little to rich but maybe Bob turned off the 02's in the tune... I can use one of the mechanic's or our scanner's to see if it's ready but not too worried yet...

after.jpgYou should be fine! Here's two pictures from the $100 scanner I bought. The before is from the tune with most of the monitors shut off, and the after is with the emissions tune. The red color showed that they hadn't been run yet.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 10
Alright, here are the results. I HAVE to share this story, because it just worked out so well! (those of you in emissions-testing states will really enjoy this). It feels like retribution for having to sell my 87 Monte SS as a teenager because it wouldn't pass emissions...

I installed MIL Eliminators, and bought an SCT X4 with two custom tunes on it. One tune was strictly for "passing emissions only", and the other for power with my specific mods (which really achieved the gains I was looking for, by the way!). Keep in mind that I changed registration for the truck to a different "address" a month prior (and no, it's not a relative's house). I figured between those two options, one of them had to work.

I loaded the "emissions only" tune and drove like a grandma to the emissions testing station for "round 2". the technician scanned my paper, looked at me funny, and said "It's coming up rejected...let me ask my boss". Boss man comes out and says "this is your second time here, right? First time you came through and your systems were reading 'not ready', right?"

"yup"

"Well, it says here that you're exempt from emissions testing now. Did you move recently?"

(I swear to god he could see the horns coming up out of the top of my head) "Why yes, yes I did. I moved to (non-emissions county)"

"Oh, well that explains it. You can go." and he gave me a little smile and a nod, like he was almost saying "good for you son". So off I went, burbling 3" catless exhaust and the biggest sh*t eating grin since I bought this truck :)

The only challenge I foresee is if I go to the currency exchange to renew my plates, if the address differs from that on my license....but I don't think that will be an issue. "Uh, it's registered there because that's where I store it." oughta work, lol. Plus the state already sent me a renewal card to my home address, so everything should be copacetic for at least the next two years. Or until someone catches on.....

Finally...score one for the "average joe"! Beating "the man" always feels good!

ChiTown Willie....thank you. Even though I ended up not needing the "emissions tune", it's there if I do, and you pointed me in the right direction. I owe you a beer!

Thrilled to hear that worked out for you! Gives you at least two years to see what they come up with next. Hopefully they never send you anything again.

Can you set up the PO Box to forward your mail to your real address?

The EPA employees don't seem to be the brightest. When I brought my truck in that last time the kid was all.... "Wow what a cool Lightning! This is the first one I've seen with an automatic. Did you order it special that way?"

It's probably a good thing that you got the "emissions tune" now. With Volkswagen getting busted, the tuner guys might start getting a little skittish about special emissions tunes.

The PO Box is a way to beat the man, but with state emissions starting to get smart nationally with the sensor readiness requirements, I don't see how it could be beat in side the tune anymore. For that reason anyone thinking about removing emission equipment inside the populated controlled areas should think twice IMHO.

Back