Helmets for Racing

I have a SNELL M2000 helmet manufactured in '02. I have had zero problems at the 3 tracks I have been to, so that's what I'm bringing...:?

This is me getting on my soapbox

I must have a different perspective on the whole helmet deal than most people. Or maybe it's that I value what brains I have left more than most, but I just don't understand the resistance to wearing a helmet when you're racing.

So, you've got a slow truck and you totally trust your driving? What about that 10 sec car in the other lane that blows an axle and crosses into your lane? Or tires than blow, or . . . well, you name it . . . there's a whole plethora of bad things that can happen, no matter what you're driving or how fast you are. You just can't control everything and everybody.

For me, I ain't going on the track without my head inside a good helmet! Right now I have a Bell SA95 helmet that's in perfect condition, never been in an accident or been dropped. But, it's not gonna bother me one bit to buy a new one when the new 05 certification comes out. We spend thousands on go-fast or bling-bling parts, so what's the big deal spending a few hundred bucks to protect whatever brain cells you've got left?

Ok, I'm getting down off my soapbox now.

Vern
(flame suit and fire-retardant helmet on)

Again, letter of the law says an SA rating, not M. Some places are sticklers, others aren't. IRP (my home track) doesn't even bother to look inside the helmet for any rating whatsoever.

The SA helmets are fire retardant, undergo additional impact testing to simulate multiple strikes in the same place (like wacking the roll bar with your noggin') and actually have a better g-aborbing cushion and lining than the M-helmets (which is why the SA helmets look like big spaceman brain pots)

Mine will be outdated in October, so I guess I'd better start shopping for another one for my big ol' pum'kin' head!

If you're buying a new helmet and don't ride a motorcycle, be sure it's SA-rated and not M.

FMOS Racing said:

The SA helmets are fire retardant, undergo additional impact testing to simulate multiple strikes in the same place (like wacking the roll bar with your noggin') and actually have a better g-aborbing cushion and lining than the M-helmets (which is why the SA helmets look like big spaceman brain pots)

And people make fun of me for my helmet! HAh

I'm with you though. My local track you could have a bucket on your head and you'd 'pass'... Even Memphis Motorsports Park on test n tune nights doesnt look at my helmet anymore.

Vern said:
Sorry, Bobby, it's too old. Right now Snell 95 and 00 are the only ones that will pass tech. As Dwight said, there will probably be some there to loan out.

Vern

Thank's well i will see if i can borrow one before i leave for L-Fest didnt want to buy a new one till after they relase the new SA-2005 in Oct.

Bobby

Frank5L said:
And people make fun of me for my helmet! HAh

Yea but has anyone seen you with your helmet off Bucket Head :D J/J Frank had to get one in there for all the Rajun Cajuns

Bobby

Back