Helmets for Racing

NLOC

BBM
I Support the NLOC
FYI, to all of you who race:

Just a friendly reminder from the NLOC that your helmet, like your aftermarket harness(es), are a "ONE USE" item. That means if either (or both) are involved in a crash, they have done the job they were made for and it's time to DISCARD THEM and purchase new. We're not talking about factory restraints or airbags, just aftermarket harnesses and helmets. Also, 2005 rated helmets (M2005-SA2005) will be released by Snell in October 2005, so don't wait to buy your new helmet with the (mis)understanding the new rated ones will be out at the end of 2004.

BTW, as a point of information, what's the main difference between a helmet that is DOT approved and Snell rated? Basically, Snell rated helmets are purchased by Snell from consumer outlets and TESTED. To meet DOT requirements all the mfgr needs to do is STATE they meet the requirements, NO TESTING is done to make sure they DO conform. If they have neither, it's a flowerpot. Its your noggin, you decide. Read it and make up your own mind at: http://www.smf.org/

Looking at mine it has a sticker on the back "Snell Approved" and in large text "DOT" It's an HJC helmet I bought at a bike shop.

Inside the helmet will be a Snell rating sticker of label. Yours is probably a M rated helmet?

FWIW, Snell does multiple impact tests at -20, 78, and 120 degrees. Approved helmets survived them all.

"M" is a motorcycle rating. "SA" is the automotive rating. SAs are fire retardant (paint, strap, and lining), have a thicker face shield, and under go some additional "roll bar" impact tests.

Ok, M2000 is what mine states inside the helmet (took a little work to get in there and have light to see it)

so am I s.o.l.?

TX SVT LIGHTNING said:
Ok, M2000 is what mine states inside the helmet (took a little work to get in there and have light to see it)

so am I s.o.l.?

It depends on which track you go to. Some don't care, some do. The track I frequent doesn't require a helmet if you run 14 or slower. I guess that leaves all the L owners out. :D

As long as you helmet is in good condition and Snell rated, you will not have a problem. We will also have a few spares available (from NLOC members) or the track should have some available for rental.

Last year I loaned 2 of my spares for the whole event.

Snell 2005 clarification

Also posted this on the Drag Racing forum:

I know a lot of us still have our Snell 95 helmet and there is some confusion as to how long we will be able to use them and when the Snell 2005 certified helmets will be out. Found this on the web after a little searching:

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding the release of the next Snell Helmet rating spec. Many people believe that 2004 is the last year for 2000 rated helmets and that in January of 2005 Snell 2005 helmets will be available.

The truth is that no helmet can be sold as a Snell 2005 Helmet until October 1, 2005. The Spec isn’t released until May of 2004, at which time helmet manufacturers can submit their helmets to be tested and certified as meeting the 2005 spec. Once they pass this spec, they will be granted SA2000 homologation. Not until October 1, 2005 will they be granted SA2005 homologation.

Also keep in mind the fact that most sanctioning bodies will allow you to use the current spec as well as the previous spec. So for the next two racing seasons, (04&05) Snell 2000 is the current spec and Snell 1995 is the previous spec. So your aging SA95 Helmets will still work for the next two seasons, however they will not meet most requirements after October 1, 2005.

Keep this in mind when budgeting your racing purchases for the next couple years. Never skimp on a Helmet.

As many of you no doubt noticed, Oct 1, 2005 is AFTER Lfest. So, I think that helps to answer if we'll need a new helmet then.

LightningWolf said:
So how long can I use my SA2000 helmet for? Until when? The end of 2006?

End of 2010, as long as it isn't involved in a crash. After 2005 spec comes out, then 2000 will be the previous spec and will be good till 2110.

Thanks Vern, so I can use my helmet for another 105 years, awesome, "be good till 2110." JK, so I can use it for another 5 years, thats very good.

So my 95 or whatever it is will be out dated and worthless this year? grrrreeeeaaaattttt just what I wanted to do, buy a new helmet!!! :(

MorpheusGPR said:
So my 95 or whatever it is will be out dated and worthless this year? grrrreeeeaaaattttt just what I wanted to do, buy a new helmet!!! :(

Both mine and yours will be outdated AFTER Oct 1, 2005. And we will have to buy new ones next spring. It's an expense, but I'm ok with it - even if there's nothing much left in it, I still value whatever is left inside the old noggin. And it's an expense that the wife and I both agree not to skimp on.

Vern

Vern said:
End of 2010, as long as it isn't involved in a crash. After 2005 spec comes out, then 2000 will be the previous spec and will be good till 2110.

Ok, Ok - 2010! :D

Interesting. i wasnt real sure how that worked. Mine is a snell2000 so its good till 2010 :)

OK I've got a ? on this my Helmet has a snell-M90 Rating on it i am looking to see if i can use this helmet for L-Fest or will i have to get a new one i have used it at FFW this year Twice and some other local races and it has been OK with those Tracks

Bobby

Sorry, Bobby, it's too old. Right now Snell 95 and 00 are the only ones that will pass tech. As Dwight said, there will probably be some there to loan out.

In truth, an M-helmet wouldn't pass no matter what year it is if they went by the letter of the rules.

Back