Heading in right direction?

IMO, the f cam or similar will need a decent converter to get you ramped in to the power band faster not due to the lift but the duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s a good point I didn’t think about, I definitely don’t want the truck to fall on it’s face cause it doesn’t have enough converter, I’m gonna have to really do some cam research for what I have, I may even end up keeping the cam It has in it.

The idea behind the TFS Stage 1 is that it is a reasonable cam for iron heads with a spring upgrade. TFS sells a spring kit that drops on the OEM heads and that cam is basically ground to work with those springs with 1.6 rockers. The Stage 1 has about all the lobe you can get with .500 lift , and going with more lift on iron GT40s isn't worth anything without some investment in porting, so trying to get spring rates to handle the higher lift is just wasted energy and effort.

If the iron anchors come off my truck, it definitely won't be to have them ported!

The white truck does have a ~2700 converter in it.

The idea behind the TFS Stage 1 is that it is a reasonable cam for iron heads with a spring upgrade. TFS sells a spring kit that drops on the OEM heads and that cam is basically ground to work with those springs with 1.6 rockers. The Stage 1 has about all the lobe you can get with .500 lift , and going with more lift on iron GT40s isn't worth anything without some investment in porting, so trying to get spring rates to handle the higher lift is just wasted energy and effort.

If the iron anchors come off my truck, it definitely won't be to have them ported!

The white truck does have a ~2700 converter in it.

Oh ok I understand. I have better heads but i may save them for another build I like the gt40 intake and want to keep that on the truck, my converter pry stalls around 2400, my flat tappet cam works good I actually have the matching valve springs on the heads, I will post a pic of the cam card. I just kinda wanted to see what y’all recommend if there was something out there better, I may order that stage 1 though. I actually have 1.7s on my truck now which pry pushes the lift a tad over .500 but I also have a set of 1.6s I could put on if y’all believe it’s a little too much. IMG_0600.jpg

That cam would be .508 Intake .515 exhaust lift.

Thats a pretty mild cam, Id expect a decent roller to be a noticeable upgrade.

Around 500 lift with mid to high 260’s duration would work good with the heads and intake but you should call Comp and let them spec one out for you just to make sure

Well I finally contacted comp cams and got there opinion on a cam, and personally thought they recommended kind of a large cam for my combo. Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-35-514-8 . I personally think maybe the stage 1 trick flow would be more up my alley. But going to do some more research and kick it around.

That’s an great cam. Do a search on YouTube for Richard Holdener 351w 274 cam. He speaks very highly of it.

If you have stock untouched gt40 heads your really not going to be gaining anything from the added lift of that cam suggestion. The lift is higher than stage 1 but the duration is less.

the 274 cam is spoken highly on his channel but i don't think a small converter is going to like that.

If you have stock untouched gt40 heads your really not going to be gaining anything from the added lift of that cam suggestion. The lift is higher than stage 1 but the duration is less.

the 274 cam is spoken highly on his channel but i don't think a small converter is going to like that.

Great points! Agreed on the converter. Better heads would definitely help too.

That’s how I kind of feel about it as well. I may do heads but that’s down the road. Do you guys think if I did a stage 1 that I should use 1.6 or 1.7 rockers? I got both just wasn’t sure if there would be much advantage with the 1.7s. Kind of thinking of heading the route of the stage 1, think it might be best for mg mild combo.

FWIW, I dug around as deep as I cared to in cams for a while, and finally settled on a decision between the TFS-1 and something from FTI. I decided that for the budget, the difference wouldn't justify the extra effort/cost. All of the other shelf cams have a lot of lift for the duration, which I didn't feel was worth anything on the unmodified iron GT40 heads.

I stayed with the factory 1.6 pedestal rockers. I also settled on a 7.625 pushrod. This put about .06" preload on the lifters. Note that the cam/springs combo is for 1.6 rockers. 1.7 rockers will require a different spring.

Remember to change the distributor gear if you go with a roller. ;)

Last edited:
FWIW, I dug around as deep as I cared to in cams for a while, and finally settled on a decision between the TFS-1 and something from FTI. I decided that for the budget, the difference wouldn't justify the extra effort/cost. All of the other shelf cams have a lot of lift for the duration, which I didn't feel was worth anything on the unmodified iron GT40 heads.

I stayed with the factory 1.6 pedestal rockers. I also settled on a 7.625 pushrod. This put about .06" preload on the lifters. Note that the cam/springs combo is for 1.6 rockers. 1.7 rockers will require a different spring.

Remind me Jeff, what converter are you running in the white truck?

I actually don't have a clue what's in it - it was there when I bought it. Definitely not a Circle D. Some single-clutch 2700 stall.

I appreciate everyone’s advice, I’m going to give trick flow a call and talk to them about ordering a stage 1 with the appropriate hardware to go with, I did see your post on the gear and felt bad but glad you caught it and will be sure to change mine.

Back