Having issues, lots of codes. HELP!

coopdog123

greased lightning
Hey guys, truck died on me driving down the road. Thought i ran in out of gas, luckily i was near enough to a station to throw it in neutral and roll to a pump.

Filled front tank, truck wouldn't start. Filled back tank, still no start. Do visual inspection under hood. Cant see anything wrong. Try to start again and it runs but is choppy and dies, same thing on both tanks. When running i have good voltage.

eventually the truck started and would idle by itself but was loping between 500-1100 and would rev choppily with throttle input but would try to die after. i was only a mile away from home so i threw it in gear and it idled all the way there. When in gear it revved to 1500 BY ITSELF and idled its way all the way home. While in gear it would rev to 2000 when i tapped the throttle but wouldn't go any further than that and would suffocate and try to die when i opened the throttle more.

The codes are as follows:
116 ECT out of self test range
114 ACT out of self test range
126 MAP/BP sensor out of self test range
636 TOT sensor voltage out of self test range
565 canister purge circuit failure
212 loss of IDM output or SPOUT circuit grounded (this code is pretty much always there)
628 converter clutch lockup error

Also. as of right now it has been sitting for two days and will not start. It tries, but its hitting real rough, like maybe only 3 or 4 cylinders firing. I am getting fuel at the rail but have not checked pressure.

It will start and run with a bad computer but when it wants to and when it does run it might as well of stayed shut off

interesting. and its not unheard of for a computer to die mid-trip at random?

So i guess the only way to trouble shoot is to pull the computer and open it up for inspection?

If one sensor fails and shorts to ground or power it will make them all read out of range. Unplug them one at a time and see if it will start with them unplugged. If it's still got a problem this weekend send me a PM and we'll plug the scanner in and see if we can track it down.

The ECT, act, and map all use the same signal return wire to the PCM. It's pin 46 and is a gray wire with a red stripe. It also looks to be tied to the tps but you don't have a code for that.

Yes the trans oil temp is also tied to the same signal rerun wire to pin 46 gray/red.

Last edited:
I can't remember for %100 on the codes but, a number of years ago when I did an engine rebuild and installed a new trans in my 93' I didn't realize that the solenoid connector on the "new" trans was the updated 95' plug and my 93' had the original harness. It plugged in but, not all the way giving me erratic behaviors upon start up if it even started at all. Not saying that's the issue but, you could check it out.

The ECT, act, and map all use the same signal return wire to the PCM. It's pin 46 and is a gray wire with a red stripe. It also looks to be tied to the tps but you don't have a code for that.

Yes the trans oil temp is also tied to the same signal rerun wire to pin 46 gray/red.

x2

Some sensors, like the ECT, ACT & TOT, have just two wires, a primary signal wire unique to the sensor (labeled ECT, ACT, TOT, etc.) and a common signal return wire that operates like a ground.

Some sensors, including the MAP & TPS, use a 5vdc voltage reference signal (VREF) in addition to the sensor feed and signal return.

Concur that based on your symptoms, the signal return wire is a good place to start looking...

Coop,

If you narrow it down to the computer I've got a spare you can use to troubleshoot and borrow until you find a replacement. Just lemmy know. You've got my digits.

Good luck with ur truck. My computer recently went bad. Truck ran great then would randomly shut down. Would usually fire right back up and run fine again. Mine had leaking capacitors that stained the board. It'll run with a bad computer depending on what's wrong. Had mine rebuilt by a company out of south florida. Good luck.

UPDATE: i finally got some time to poke around under the hood for a couple minutes today. only think i could tell obviously wrong was that the cap and rotor bug are bad. points and rotor are corroded. im going to change them and the MAP (still under warranty) and see what she does.

What is this? Like the 12th one? LoL

I went through a couple bwd sensors then finally replaced them with motorcraft ones cuz I got tired of replacing " lifetime" warrant sensors. Course I kept the old sensors for side of the road/troubleshooting.

Back